More Ramblings From Bernie...

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ScottB
ScottB

More Ramblings From Bernie...

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/36086363

I'm torn, is he properly going senile, or is he deliberately trying to talk the sport, and consequently its value, down?

adrianjordan

Re: More Ramblings From Bernie...

I think he's just completely out of touch. I mean he thinks Putin should be running Europe??

The sooner Bernard steps down or is forced out, the sooner F1 can get on with being F1 and embrace 21st Century marketing strategies.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

Plus....

1. He supports Donal Trump.
2. The 85-year-old Englishman also claimed immigrants have not made a contribution to the United Kingdom.

I dont know i he is becoming more senile/stupid or just a way to "promote" F1. He should go, really...

wesley123
wesley123

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought we had freedom of speech? I don't see what's the issue is here. He thinks that, so what? He supports Trump, so what? We have human rights here and said human rights apply to Bernie as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

skoop
skoop

according to AMuS teams want him to be gone by the end of the year. That's why he's suddenly working together with the EU. He wants the eu to cancel the contracts sot he Teams lose their power

LionKing
LionKing

Well, they are not saying that Bernie can not say those but just criticizing him for what he said. There is no attack on someone's freedom of speech here.

turbof1

wesley123 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought we had freedom of speech? I don't see what's the issue is here. He thinks that, so what? He supports Trump, so what? We have human rights here and said human rights apply to Bernie as well.
You are right. Bernie acts like an *sshole, but unfortunaly he has the right to act like an *sshole. However, freedom of speech works 2 ways: he is allowed to talk rubbish, and we are allowed to comment on that.
#AeroFrodo

autogyro
autogyro

Perhaps he just recognises that the current situation in the corrupt EU and the libtard PC attitude in the west is the REAL reason for F1 degenerating into a weedy liberal image promoting facade.

Big Mangalhit

He thinks immigrants have not made a contribution to the United Kingdom??
Has he heard of Force India? I mean they are one of the few entrants keeping F1 alive even if you don't deem them as important as frontrunners.

PS: I know there is also a million more examples on how he is wrong, I just wanted to point one directly aimed at F1

tuj
tuj

ahh so its PC and libtards that have ruined F1? My goodness, and here I thought we had accountability. Certainly the "supremo" or whatever you call him, he has the ability to influence the direction of the sport.

Last I checked, women were 50% of the population. And they control something like 85% of the disposable income in a household on average.

Last I checked, women are allowed in combat roles in the US military. Fighter pilots are in late stages of allowing admission.

It's not that it isn't PC to bash women, it's just phucking stupid and it isn't accurate.

ScottB
ScottB

wesley123 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought we had freedom of speech? I don't see what's the issue is here. He thinks that, so what? He supports Trump, so what? We have human rights here and said human rights apply to Bernie as well.
He can say whatever he likes, however...

We have the right to challenge what he says.

When he runs his mouth on such issues, he speaks as the head of Formula One. Does the sport benefit from its boss coming out with nonsensical suggestions about Putin running Europe, or claiming immigrants have done nothing for Britain (presumably except for Hamilton's family, considering Bernie previously claimed he wanted drivers to behave more like Lewis)? Does that convince big companies that they want to be associated with the sport when he uses it as a platform for his personal beliefs?

Vasconia

turbof1 wrote:
You are right. Bernie acts like an *sshole, but unfortunaly he has the right to act like an *sshole. However, freedom of speech works 2 ways: he is allowed to talk rubbish, and we are allowed to comment on that.
Thats it.

Some people seem to think that freedom of speech means "I can say anything and no one can complain about it".

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

With "rights and freedoms" comes responsibility and accountability. He has the right to say things, within reason (e.g. nothing that could incite violence or hatred), but he has to be accountable for what happens thereafter.

His comments just highlight how out-of-touch he is. There are women in all forms of Motorsport except F1. There are women flying high performance aircraft that make an F1 car look like a family hatchback. They do just fine

As for his comments about immigrants, well, it just beggars belief.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Vasconia wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
Thats it.

Some people seem to think that freedom of speech means "I can say anything and no one can complain about it".
In some parts of the US that appears to be the view, certainly. :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123
wesley123

I never see any issue in someone having his opinion. It's not like Bernie is telling that F1 cars should drive backwards or anything related to his position.

What he is saying is simply something like this: "I don't like cheese". Sure, you can have an different opinion on that and you can voice said opinion. However, what imo is happening more here is ridiculing someone for not sharing your opinion, the title of the topic surely gives that impression.

You can disagree with Bernie's opinion, but to call them ramblings, call him senile and whatnot(which seems to be the trend in these topics) for not sharing your opinion(or the popular opinion) is a bit over-the-top if you ask me.

EDIT: I completely missed the article. I thought it was about him saying Putin should be in charge of Europe. http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/a ... in-sorrell
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender