2021 Engine thread

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Re: 2021 Engine thread

FrukostScones wrote:
30 Mar 2017, 12:49
I still don't understand why people would want to damage their hearing with loud exhaust noises.
V10, V8 were pretty much absolutely hazardous in noise levels. pretty unbearable . like 145-150DB. at a very damaging frequency.
2017 PU are decently loud trackside. They just sound a bit dull like a turbo single exhaust engine. I don't think the 80ies turbos sounded much better.
If F1 will go backwards in technology because of high pitched engine noise, than it will be extinct soon.
And the sound on TV absoultely not what you hear trackside. Wasn't before (in the good old times) and isn't now.

edit: 2017 of course.
I agree, when you listen live to the old v8 cars you have to wear enough ear protection to prevent damaging your hearing which makes the volume fairly comparable to the current cars. The main problem is the sound mixing for tv, in person they sound pretty decent and have a pretty nuanced sound.

FrukostScones

Todt trying to please all, gets quoted with nonsense.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... d-reliable
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

haza
haza

Lets face it were not going to see a v10 so we can hope for the only thing close to it I think the fia should go for a l5 as they are efficient and they sound amazing

https://youtu.be/ntndz-tSjPM

ME4ME

It stated there had been agreement for the engines to remain road relevant – but at the same time becoming simpler, and cheaper to develop.

Furthermore the engines had to maintain high power levels, with better sound and a ‘desire to allow drivers to drive harder at all times'.

The latter desire is likely related to a move away from the fuel economy limitations of the current regulations, which impose a 105kg petrol limit in races.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “I was very pleased with the process, and the fact that so many different stakeholders were able to agree on a direction for the FIA F1 world championship in such an important technical area.

“Of course, now we must sit down and work through the fine details of exactly what the 2021 power units will be – but we have begun on the right foot, and I am looking forward to working through the process to come up with the best decision for Formula 1 into the future.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-a ... es-888644/

Singabule
Singabule

[youtube][/youtube]
haza wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 13:59
Lets face it were not going to see a v10 so we can hope for the only thing close to it I think the fia should go for a l5 as they are efficient and they sound amazing

https://youtu.be/ntndz-tSjPM
And bad for racing as high COG and very long engine hence hard to integrate in chasis as stressed member

Singabule
Singabule

So refueling is back, fuel Flow limit still there, get rid of H and K at front. The big question is turbocharged or not.

fenix4life
fenix4life

ME4ME wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 14:18
It stated there had been agreement for the engines to remain road relevant – but at the same time becoming simpler, and cheaper to develop.

Furthermore the engines had to maintain high power levels, with better sound and a ‘desire to allow drivers to drive harder at all times'.

The latter desire is likely related to a move away from the fuel economy limitations of the current regulations, which impose a 105kg petrol limit in races.

FIA President Jean Todt said: “I was very pleased with the process, and the fact that so many different stakeholders were able to agree on a direction for the FIA F1 world championship in such an important technical area.

“Of course, now we must sit down and work through the fine details of exactly what the 2021 power units will be – but we have begun on the right foot, and I am looking forward to working through the process to come up with the best decision for Formula 1 into the future.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-a ... es-888644/
April fool's article.
I don't see them ditch the hybrid technology or they will be supporting old stool technology instead of being ahead of time.

Zynerji

Front wheel harvesting/ drive should be in this new formula. They are literally wasting the best recovery part of the hybrid concept.

Id stick with the 1.6l TJI engines, but move to centrifugal superchargers with standard exhaust, so much louder.

If you delete the HERS, I believe much of these systems will get cheaper and less complex. Integrating the KERS directly into the block should help.

Also, I hope they change to 1 engine per weekend. If these engines can have a shorter life expectancy, the R&D budgets can come waaaaaaaay down.

I'm interested in what people's idea for best front harvesting would be for f1. In wheel hub motors, or a central front diff/KERS with half shafts?

Singabule
Singabule

Zynerji wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 15:56
Front wheel harvesting/ drive should be in this new formula. They are literally wasting the best recovery part of the hybrid concept.

Id stick with the 1.6l TJI engines, but move to centrifugal superchargers with standard exhaust, so much louder.

If you delete the HERS, I believe much of these systems will get cheaper and less complex. Integrating the KERS directly into the block should help.

Also, I hope they change to 1 engine per weekend. If these engines can have a shorter life expectancy, the R&D budgets can come waaaaaaaay down.

I'm interested in what people's idea for best front harvesting would be for f1. In wheel hub motors, or a central front diff/KERS with half shafts?
That will reverse or ditch TJI benefit. Supercharger is in the past, they waste so much energy, except the electric Supercharger, Which is linked to H, just adding complexity. Central differential would be good idea since FIA must regulate torque vectoring if they want drivers Who drive the car, not AI.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

mechanically driven centrigugal superchargers ('of the past') were efficient, but poorly matched to the engine requirements of GP circuits
matching is improveable by variable guide vanes as RR intended for the V16 BRM or by part-time electric drive or both

the TJI benefit is less with NA than with boosted engines
most of the work done by the crankshaft turning an efficient supercharger is recovered at the crankshaft (by 'forward pressure')
as with the current engines in qualification mode the supercharger is motored and the wastegate is open

Singabule
Singabule

With mechanicaly driven supercharger, you must add gearbox hence adding weight. I dont know if close gearing is enough to reduce boost surge and/or mitigate narrow powerband

Blackout

A modernised 2013 like NA V8 (or V6) with direct injection, variable (camless) distribution, variable intake, bigger KERS etc :mrgreen:

Cannonballer
Cannonballer

Zynerji wrote:
01 Apr 2017, 15:56

Would 1 engine a weekend provide the desired reduction in reliability because they would be much more likely to be running on ragged edge?
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

[quote=Zynerji].........If you delete the HERS, I believe much of these systems will get cheaper and less complex. Integrating the KERS directly into the block should help. .......what people's idea for best front harvesting would be for f1. In wheel hub motors, or a central front diff/KERS with half shafts?[/quote]

the present system's H and K MG's actions don't overlap, ingeniously giving efficient utilization and sizing of the rest of the electrics
(and apparently much of the electrical energy is used directly ie bypassing battery storage)
so abandoning the H and increasing the K would demand much higher capacity electrics than hitherto

the front MGU-K is a can of worms even with a diff (currently illegal at the front)
and increases the scope for accidents due to sudden reduction of braking caused by electrical issues

ayoubenq
ayoubenq

Hi Guys , I really enjoy this discussion. Well i suppose that The hybrid engines should be dropped. F1 should try other types of engines (e.g small jet engine) that would be awesome to watch =D> =D> and i know that could make it hard to follow someone. already have some troubles to overtake in '17 :wink: I believe there's a solution to that problem. What do you think guys ? share your opinion with us. Hopefully you have another solutions.
#JetEngineF1 That would be nice hhhh