2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GPR-A duplicate2

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

ME4ME wrote:I'm clueless as to why Renault & Haas decided not to bring any SuperSoft tyres. You'd think a team must be prepared for whatever situation it could find itself in. An early safety car for example. I for sure would want a third alternative in any situation..

I think Ferrari got this right. 3-3-7 would be my choice.
They know for sure that they are going to be stuck within Q3 or best case in Q2. Their plan most likely is to start the race on Soft and do a long stint and then do two Ultra soft runs. US again, for most part of the qualifying. Canada is a very abrasive circuit and being so fast, it adds a great deal of load under braking. So, I wouldn't be surprised more people using Softs for long and US for short stints.

Pace wise, the difference between SS and US is just a couple of tenths for the bottom teams in qualifying and almost negligible in races. So, I guess it is a good idea to go on Softs for a really long stint and then sprint it out with US. Canada allowing great deal of opportunities for overtaking; being on fast tyres and low on fuel loads would certainly be a huge advantage.

Vasconia

One of my favourites tracks. Its about pure speed and braking, I love it.

Mercedes will reign here, and probably Hamilton because he loves this track, anyway I hope Rosberg can put some pressure on him. I ask myself if Lewis will finally have a good start, or if he will be overtaken by someone again.

Ferrari has a good update, anyway this track is good for them so it should be the second team by a good margin.

RB will be closer but it would be a great surprise if they can beat Ferrari, they should fight with Williams which sould return to form in this power dependant track.

Then...

Force India
Toro Rosso/McLaren/Renault/Haas

I ask myself which team will adapt itself better to this track.

ME4ME

GPR-A wrote:
ME4ME wrote:I'm clueless as to why Renault & Haas decided not to bring any SuperSoft tyres. You'd think a team must be prepared for whatever situation it could find itself in. An early safety car for example. I for sure would want a third alternative in any situation..

I think Ferrari got this right. 3-3-7 would be my choice.
They know for sure that they are going to be stuck within Q3 or best case in Q2. Their plan most likely is to start the race on Soft and do a long stint and then do two Ultra soft runs. US again, for most part of the qualifying. Canada is a very abrasive circuit and being so fast, it adds a great deal of load under braking. So, I wouldn't be surprised more people using Softs for long and US for short stints.

Pace wise, the difference between SS and US is just a couple of tenths for the bottom teams in qualifying and almost negligible in races. So, I guess it is a good idea to go on Softs for a really long stint and then sprint it out with US. Canada allowing great deal of opportunities for overtaking; being on fast tyres and low on fuel loads would certainly be a huge advantage.
My point being, you can plan for whatever you like, but you must be prepared for anything. That would be my approach anyway, to keep all options open.

WaikeCU

Is Montreal not a track that eats tires and brakes? I'm thinking yet again a great result for Perez, maybe top 6.

Quali
1. Hamilton
2. Rosberg
3. Vettel
4. Ricciardo
5. Verstappen
6. Raikkonen
7. Massa
8. Hulkenberg
9. Bottas
10. Perez

Race
1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Rosberg
4. Ricciardo
5. Raikkonen
6. Perez
7. Hulkenberg
8. Sainz
9. Massa
10. Grosjean

Vasconia

WaikeCU wrote:Is Montreal not a track that eats tires and brakes? I'm thinking yet again a great result for Perez, maybe top 6.
Brakes are the biggest problem, even for Mercedes. Fuel consumption is also important.

Yeah, Perez could achieve another good result.

GPR-A duplicate2

Vasconia wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:Is Montreal not a track that eats tires and brakes? I'm thinking yet again a great result for Perez, maybe top 6.
Brakes are the biggest problem, even for Mercedes. Fuel consumption is also important.

Brakes became a problem for Mercedes in 2014, but otherwise, there weren't any cries last year. Fuel consumption was an issue, largely in 2014, less so in 2015 and I hope it shouldn't be much of an issue this year. Reason? Maturity in combustion mechanisms and advancing R&D in fuels from fuel supplier partners. But Honda would certainly have issues as they are the only ones suffering with fuel consumption.

Vasconia

GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Brakes became a problem for Mercedes in 2014, but otherwise, there weren't any cries last year. Fuel consumption was an issue, largely in 2014, less so in 2015 and I hope it shouldn't be much of an issue this year. Reason? Maturity in combustion mechanisms and advancing R&D in fuels from fuel supplier partners. But Honda would certainly have issues as they are the only ones suffering with fuel consumption.
Brakes have been traditionally a problem in Canada. Sometimes a team has problems during a season which are not repeated the next season. But they can return in any other season. So we cant discard braking problems in Mercedes or any other team.

godlameroso

I think Alonso will sneak into the top 10. Canada has some nice straights but non of them have you reaching over 320kph, you still need a fair bit of downforce. Stability under braking is essential in order to attack the curbs and traction is critical. There's no real high speed turns but you still benefit from downforce at this track.

I'm seeing another moist weekend, the racing must be pleasing the gods. The beauty of the geographic location is that it can go from torrential downpour to clear skies in 10 minutes. Fortunately however the temperature will be relatively mild, track temperature will be in the mid 30's if the sun is out.

If Monaco is anything to go by, the US and SS tyres are too similar in race conditions, so having one or the other probably isn't going to make a difference in the race as the soft tire will probably be the better race tire.

I think we're going to see another qualifying record get smashed, low 13's high 12's maybe.
Saishū kōnā

Unc1eM0nty

I thought the honda engine was still very thirsty no ? this is a fuel saving circuit so i think they will struggle.

iotar__

ME4ME wrote:I'm clueless as to why Renault & Haas decided not to bring any SuperSoft tyres. You'd think a team must be prepared for whatever situation it could find itself in. An early safety car for example. I for sure would want a third alternative in any situation..I think Ferrari got this right. 3-3-7 would be my choice.
Yeah Ferrari always get it right, before and after the race, never during it ;-). I don't know when they made those choices but it looks like
- SS are too close to US in the race and since you start on the latter you might as well not bother with the former
- If it's a longer stint softs are more reliable: length of the stint/pace/durability? One stop only?
- alternative to what? only one stint is on harder, you start with Q, heavy stint on the softest, it's it's two stops another softer and then options (order of importance)
FW17 wrote:So how many tokens have Renault spent so far this year?Any chance of them using all 32 tokens before the last race?
Check AMus Taffin interview. http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 06812.html From memory: not that many, they spent tokens as a base for current upgrades last season, they won't.

WaikeCU

Vasconia wrote:
GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Brakes have been traditionally a problem in Canada. Sometimes a team has problems during a season which are not repeated the next season. But they can return in any other season. So we cant discard braking problems in Mercedes or any other team.
I was thinking tires, because if I could recall there was a time, the surface starts to fall apart and they had to repair it before the race.

godlameroso

That was back in 2010, it's not an issue any more.
Saishū kōnā

iotar__

GPR-A wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

Brakes became a problem for Mercedes in 2014, but otherwise, there weren't any cries last year.
On the contrary Rosberg suffered brake problems (on and off ;-)) the whole race last season and despite that was close to Hamilton.
- "So Raikkonen has pitted, push hard now. Go strat five." No problems :-)
- "Nico, brake wear is now critical. So we’d like you to manage it for the next ten laps before you attack Lewis." Too quick.
- "You’ve done a really good job with brakes, there. We want you to continue like that for the moment, it will give us margin to attack." Wise strategy. Mercedes didn't send any letters afterwards.

diego.liv
diego.liv

More than probable they beat the lap record, 1:13.6. Last year being 1:14.4, can we expect at least 1:12.6?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Unc1eM0nty wrote:I thought the honda engine was still very thirsty no ? this is a fuel saving circuit so i think they will struggle.
not so much if the PU update & new fuel work....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."