2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
notsofast
notsofast

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

Two weeks ago, the consensus was that Rosberg was running away with the championship. If he has an up-close-and-personal with the wall of champions, the whole championship will be level again. I'm not saying I wish for that to happen. Just noting how quickly things can turn around.

froggy
froggy

godlameroso wrote:This is going to be an insane race, get this, it seems that the rain, if it comes at all on race day, is going to be towards the end of the race. Whoever is near the pit lane when it starts pouring is going to make out like a bandit.
Rain should make for another interesting race...except that i will be watching from down at the hairpin, and id like to be dry and warm. :mrgreen:

Chuckjr

Red Bull are going to surprise this race. I think their engine has finally delivered enough to fight for wins on merit.
Watching F1 since 1986.

giantfan10
giantfan10

Chuckjr wrote:Red Bull are going to surprise this race. I think their engine has finally delivered enough to fight for wins on merit.
Ferrari is bringing a new turbocharger and MGU-H to canada free of tokens under the reliability clause..... they claim it will bring 4 tenths. So lets do the math..Ferrari 9 tenths ahead .. red bull claims 5 tenths for their engine upgrade... Ferrari claims 4 tenths for their engine upgrade... the math says Ferrari will retain an 8 tenths advantage in Canada ..canada is not monaco or barcelona... i think thats where some are getting carried away with the red bull "resurgence"... i think williams have a shot at being ahead of red bull in canada.
Merecedes.. Ferrari..................red bull williams....force india
The last power circuit which canada is
Mercedes was 1.3 seconds faster. ferrari was .8 faster.... lets give Red bull the 5 tenths they claim and ferrari the 4 tenths they claim.....explain how they will be fighting for victory in canada on merit please. : )

Racer X

Williams has the Edge here I believe over the Midfield Behind Ferrari and Mercedes.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

dans79

Racer X wrote:Williams has the Edge here I believe over the Midfield Behind Ferrari and Mercedes.
I agree, but only if qualifying and the race are dry.
197 104 103 7

hollus

godlameroso wrote:... it seems that the rain, if it comes at all on race day, is going to be towards the end of the race...
You seem to know some weather tools and know people who know, but predicting the time of arrival of a (not sure!) rain to within 30 minutes, 8 days ahead of the race... isn't that pushing things a bit too much?
Rivals, not enemies.

carisi2k

I believe Red Bull will be close with Mercedes and ahead of Ferrari at Canada and here is my reasons why. Williams isn't even in the same conversation with the upgraded engine for Red Bull. So forget about Williams, Force India or Torro rosso being anywhere near the Red Bull in the race.

1. Braking. Canada is a very hard circuit on braking and the RedBull has been the best car on brakes. Expect the RB12's to make up a lot of ground here.
2. Slow corners. Canada has quite a few slow corners which lead onto straights. As shown at Barcelona the RB12 excels in this area. Canada isn't about top speed but acceleration out of slow corners.
3. Tyre management. This is one area that Red Bull seem to be well ahead of Ferrari on and equal to Mercedes with.
4. The RB12. While at the start of the year it was about 8-9 tenths behind Ferrari. At China, Daniel was only half a second down on Rosberg and pole at Monaco shows the progress. The RB12 is improving significantly as the year goes on.
5. B-spec Renault. Canada will be the true test to truly see how good this upgrade is but if it gave Daniel 2 tenths at Monaco it should be good for at least as much in Canada.
6. Daniel Ricciardo. The man is at the top of his game recently and he has been putting in some amazing qualifying runs. Especially in Q3.
7. Max Verstappen. Don't underestimate how much his entrance into the team and the victory in Spain has moved Red Bull forward as a team. His presence has especially seem to have given DR a 0.5 second boost in Qualy.

godlameroso

hollus wrote:
godlameroso wrote:... it seems that the rain, if it comes at all on race day, is going to be towards the end of the race...
You seem to know some weather tools and know people who know, but predicting the time of arrival of a (not sure!) rain to within 30 minutes, 8 days ahead of the race... isn't that pushing things a bit too much?
Probably, I'm not infallible, but I got a decent track record. Anyway it may not rain at all, it may rain in the middle of the race or throughout, the probabilities are pointing towards it being at the end of the race, 2pm ish. Heck it may even rain on Saturday, in fact the only day it's pretty much guaranteed dry is Friday. Lots of water around the track so weather can be a bit unpredictable. One thing is for sure, changing conditions will make this already awesome race a bit more interesting.
Saishū kōnā

giantfan10
giantfan10

carisi2k wrote:I believe Red Bull will be close with Mercedes and ahead of Ferrari at Canada and here is my reasons why. Williams isn't even in the same conversation with the upgraded engine for Red Bull. So forget about Williams, Force India or Torro rosso being anywhere near the Red Bull in the race.

1. Braking. Canada is a very hard circuit on braking and the RedBull has been the best car on brakes. Expect the RB12's to make up a lot of ground here.

Based on what ypur imagination?

2. Slow corners. Canada has quite a few slow corners which lead onto straights. As shown at Barcelona the RB12 excels in this area. Canada isn't about top speed but acceleration out of slow corners.

LMFAO @ canada isnt about top speed

3. Tyre management. This is one area that Red Bull seem to be well ahead of Ferrari on and equal to Mercedes with.

Based on what exactly?? The last tire management race kimi was up maxs tailpipe on the same age of tires.. of course barcelona produces processions

4. The RB12. While at the start of the year it was about 8-9 tenths behind Ferrari. At China, Daniel was only half a second down on Rosberg and pole at Monaco shows the progress. The RB12 is improving significantly as the year goes on.

Remember both Ferraris botching the last corner or 2 in qualy? Remember vettel falling out of the top 10 twice and still beating kvyat on pure pace??

5. B-spec Renault. Canada will be the true test to truly see how good this upgrade is but if it gave Daniel 2 tenths at Monaco it should be good for at least as much in Canada.

Even giving red bull the 5 tenths they claim they are still not on par with Ferrari... then there is that turbo upgrade along with a new MGU-H and new fuel Ferrari is bringing to canada which they claim they will extract 4 tenths from... yup it will be atrue test

6. Daniel Ricciardo. The man is at the top of his game recently and he has been putting in some amazing qualifying runs. Especially in Q3.

At Monaco and when Ferrari messes up .. keep things in perspective please

7. Max Verstappen. Don't underestimate how much his entrance into the team and the victory in Spain has moved Red Bull forward as a team. His presence has especially seem to have given DR a 0.5 second boost in Qualy

what a load of BS this is
You will probably be disapointed....

FW17

giantfan10 wrote:
carisi2k wrote:I believe Red Bull will be close with Mercedes and ahead of Ferrari at Canada and here is my reasons why. Williams isn't even in the same conversation with the upgraded engine for Red Bull. So forget about Williams, Force India or Torro rosso being anywhere near the Red Bull in the race.

Based on what exactly?? The last tire management race kimi was up maxs tailpipe on the same age of tires.. of course barcelona produces processions

Remember both Ferraris botching the last corner or 2 in qualy? Remember vettel falling out of the top 10 twice and still beating kvyat on pure pace??

Even giving red bull the 5 tenths they claim they are still not on par with Ferrari... then there is that turbo upgrade along with a new MGU-H and new fuel Ferrari is bringing to canada which they claim they will extract 4 tenths from... yup it will be atrue test

7. Max Verstappen. Don't underestimate how much his entrance into the team and the victory in Spain has moved Red Bull forward as a team. His presence has especially seem to have given DR a 0.5 second boost in Qualy

Red Bull won both 2012 and 2013 Monza, how did they do it?

iotar__

carisi2k wrote:7. Max Verstappen. Don't underestimate how much his entrance into the team and the victory in Spain has moved Red Bull forward as a team. His presence has especially seem to have given DR a 0.5 second boost in Qualy
It certainly moved them forward in terms of strategy and pitstops :-). Apart from media fiction impact = zero unless he designed new spec Tag engine.

Just because Verstappen is slower than Kvyat (before they killed his one lap speed this season) it doesn't make Ricciardo quicker. Although in both cases when you know you'll be in front of your team mate - it makes you more comfortable and usually quicker. Competition forces mistakes like in GB and Canada '15 where Kvyat was in front.
FW17 wrote:Red Bull won both 2012 and 2013 Monza, how did they do it?
A. Different year, track and competition, it's 2016 and engines are not equal B. best car, blown diffuser, small engine performance gaps, millions on special Monza package

I think Ferrari would have to work very hard to lose to Red Bull. Like in '15: Vettel: penalty; Raikkonen: Q barely quicker than Bottas/Grosjean and spin in the race. Mistakes will be more costly but they should be easily in front unless this causes them problems, too, N. Chester: "The circuit surface is low grip and it can be difficult to get the tyres into their working range there."

carisi2k

giantfan10 wrote:

I am keeping perspective and I am also going on the facts as presented to me from watching the practice sessions on TV where Mercedes and Ferrari staff when interviewed have mentioned the GPS traces showing the effectiveness of the RB12 in slow corners. Montreal is a compromise layout. You need horsepower for the long straights but you need downforce for the tight hairpins and chicanes around the circuit.

But we shall see how things are after qualifying this weekend. I will be watching with interest from Saturday morning Australian EST.

Vettelswonmeover
Vettelswonmeover

Hello guys. Been watching F1 since 1999. Ferrari fan since 2000. Based on what I have seen so far, Merc is still ahead. Ferrari is still second but the gap between RB and Ferrari has reduced. The Canadian GP is a good indicator of the actual pecking order. Expect a Merc 1-2 with a Ferrari 3 and a Red Bull 4. Kimi will mess up like the last season vs. Bottas. Ricciardo will fly and Verstappen will be cautious. Vettel will run one of the Mercs(read Rosberg) close. Hamilton will win comfortably. Unless it rains though

Vasconia

Vettelswonmeover wrote:Hello guys. Been watching F1 since 1999. Ferrari fan since 2000. Based on what I have seen so far, Merc is still ahead. Ferrari is still second but the gap between RB and Ferrari has reduced. The Canadian GP is a good indicator of the actual pecking order. Expect a Merc 1-2 with a Ferrari 3 and a Red Bull 4. Kimi will mess up like the last season vs. Bottas. Ricciardo will fly and Verstappen will be cautious. Vettel will run one of the Mercs(read Rosberg) close. Hamilton will win comfortably. Unless it rains though
If it rains he will more confortably. He has the best car and he is very good under rain. I could see Ricciardo overtaking Nico if it rains.