2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
giantfan10
giantfan10

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

wickedz50 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Forgot to comment about Ferrari.... OMG Ferrari.... Their strategists should be fired, actually they should have been fired long ago, I lost count how many times they messed it up

Also, their pit-stop mechanics are far from what a team like Ferrari should enjoy, almost 1 second slower than RB, 2,3 vs 3,1 seconds. That´s a lot of time in F1 and specially at the pitstops, since that´s the best chance to overtake, or to be overtaken
I feel the same but somewhere in their heart they knew they do not have the pace to fend off Merc on the soft tyres. They were hoping for rain or SC or some sorts of interruption. It was a collective decision and that's why Vettel was pretty cool about it.
Merc tyre management is exceptional and Ferrari have no answers now. Previously they were very good but these days they are like fish out of the water.
Experts in the Ferrari team must be having better data to confirm their 2 stop strategy which we cannot see.
None the less unless that chasis and aero improves there is no hope this season.
Its bad luck that there was no rain nor any SC. They played their cards based on uncertain events. Luck is not on Ferrari's side at the moment.
Pretty biased overview of the race if you ask me.
EVERY team thought a 2 stop strategy was the way to go including Mercedes.
Vettel with a 2 stopper finished 5 seconds back from Hamilton yet you claim there needs to be chassis and aero improvement..and there is no hope this season.... If the VSC had stayed on for 20 more seconds this race would have been completely different....no usage of tires passing the 2 red bulls and vettel would have come out of the pits probably less than 5 seconds behind hamilton.
Circumstances in a race doesnt matter to less than savvy fans like yourself because using your logic the other mercedes needs aero and chassis improvements along with everyone from third on down. Third was 40+seconds away from Vettel
This was an actual race not both mercedes romping off into the distance with their only challenge being 30 seconds back.

ian_s

i've not been able to find any decent quality onboards that i can take a picture from, but i dont see how hamilton could have given rosberg much more space at the start.

if anything, rosberg tried to turn in even though hamilton was on the racing line. this then caused hamilton to take a different line towards turn 2 which pushed rosberg off the track.
i think mercedes got very lucky there, very lucky that Rosberg didnt cause another DNF for both cars.

LionKing
LionKing

If you look at the pictures, Hamilton could have taken the trajectory Vettel has taken in front of him.

A few more subsequent pictures till the moment of contact is needed as well, if you want analyze using pictures.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

From the pictures above, it looks like Lewis was already trying to push Rosberg wide. He said he had understeer, but with understeer, cars run wide at corner exit, not the entry. You can see in the picture above he is already missing the apex.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

ian_s wrote:i've not been able to find any decent quality onboards that i can take a picture from, but i dont see how hamilton could have given rosberg much more space at the start.

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... apture.png
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg6 ... pture2.png

if anything, rosberg tried to turn in even though hamilton was on the racing line. this then caused hamilton to take a different line towards turn 2 which pushed rosberg off the track.
i think mercedes got very lucky there, very lucky that Rosberg didnt cause another DNF for both cars.
Rosberg was doing nothing that could have caused a DNF. From these pictures, it is clear that Lewis was running Nico wide intentionally. Whether it was fair or not is another point.

jericho

You forget Lewis said he had a lot of understeer going in turn 1. So perhaps he tried to give Rosberg the space he needed, but just couldn't turn in.

PlatinumZealot

Rosberg was trying to chop in front of Hamilton. He has no business hanging on the outside right there. Didn't he learn from Canada 2014?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

You can not gauge centripetal acceleration from Two photos, you need more data than that.

you need to know where the car was before it started to turn and where it ended after the turn, as well as speed.
Last edited by dans79 on 13 Jun 2016, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

mrluke
mrluke

Fan view of the incident off the start line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjlQZkRjDU8

Don't know what HAM was doing pushing ROS off the track like that! What about a car's width!?

Terrible. If it was the other way round you'd never hear the end of it.

...oh wait

dans79

lol, did any of you take basic physics?
197 104 103 7

evered7
evered7

Can some one explain how did the RBs get so close in the qualification only to vanish in the race?

Likewise it was initially mentioned that the new turbo was fit only for Vettel. Did Kimi run the same spec car as Vettel with mods for enhancing rear end grip? I know he has had a poor couple of races but he was very much off the pace during the weekend which can be better explained if he ran the older car.

Thank you!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

That's the end of this thread then. Bring on the fanboy/haterboy arguments. Yay!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Maybe the lower drag of the others helped them in fuel en tire efficiency.

komninosm
komninosm

Steven wrote:Here's Vettel crashing into Hamilton's post-race Sky interview, funnily blaming seagulls for a turn1 lockup
https://streamable.com/q5xd

Hamilton also noted his pre-race plan was to do a 2-stopper, but they changed to a single stop strategy.
LOL it's so cold in Canada in June! It's almost the longest day of the year (next week), here in Greece it's so hot, swimming time.

Shrieker

komninosm wrote:
Steven wrote:Here's Vettel crashing into Hamilton's post-race Sky interview, funnily blaming seagulls for a turn1 lockup
https://streamable.com/q5xd

Hamilton also noted his pre-race plan was to do a 2-stopper, but they changed to a single stop strategy.
here in Greece it's so hot, swimming time.
You mean, it's not already, like a month or so ? I'm surprised.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk