2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Vasconia

Re: 2016 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal, Fri 10 – Sun 12 Jun

Chuckjr wrote:Red Bull are going to surprise this race. I think their engine has finally delivered enough to fight for wins on merit.
Don think so. Monaco was an expection and in Barcelona Ferrari was faster. If Ferrari solves its problems with qualy they will be ahead on this race.

Vasconia

godlameroso wrote:This is going to be an insane race, get this, it seems that the rain, if it comes at all on race day, is going to be towards the end of the race. Whoever is near the pit lane when it starts pouring is going to make out like a bandit.
Light rain at the begining and at the end would be awesome. Bring us some chaos!

Andres125sx

Vasconia wrote:
godlameroso wrote:This is going to be an insane race, get this, it seems that the rain, if it comes at all on race day, is going to be towards the end of the race. Whoever is near the pit lane when it starts pouring is going to make out like a bandit.
Light rain at the begining and at the end would be awesome. Bring us some chaos!
Agree, light rain just after the beginning (so we skip a SC start), would be great :mrgreen:

Juzh

FW17 wrote: Red Bull won both 2012 and 2013 Monza, how did they do it?
They won in 2011 and 2013. In 2012 they were off the pace.
RB7 and RB9 were simply the best cars on the track at that time and all others who could possibly challenge them (mclaren in 2011, mercedes/lotus in 2013) self destructed in one way or another that weekend.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
RB7 and RB9 were simply the best cars on the track at that time and all others who could possibly challenge them (mclaren in 2011, mercedes/lotus in 2013) self destructed in one way or another that weekend.
Plus the diffence between engines werent that big and the Renault PU worked very well with the RBs chasis.

Vasconia

Andres125sx wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Agree, light rain just after the beginning (so we skip a SC start), would be great :mrgreen:

Haha right, if not after 7-8 laps behind the SC the race would be great. :roll: :mrgreen:

basti313
basti313

Vasconia wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Plus the diffence between engines werent that big and the Renault PU worked very well with the RBs chasis.
They also won in 2014 with the worst engine on thee grid. RedBull was often very good at Canada, so if they get their setup together they may fight for the podium again.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Vasconia

basti313 wrote: They also won in 2014 with the worst engine on thee grid. RedBull was often very good at Canada, so if they get their setup together they may fight for the podium again.
Well, the won because Mercedes had a problema but I see your point. For sure they will be strong but in 2014 Ferrari was terrible and now they should be much better.

PlatinumZealot

The thing with Canada is that the braking is large part of the lap time so RedBull might get closer than one would expect. I also feel that the 0.5 seconds engine improvement is a low-ball figure. Renault has always been know to undersell themselves.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

giantfan10
giantfan10

PlatinumZealot wrote:The thing with Canada is that the braking is large part of the lap time so RedBull might get closer than one would expect. I also feel that the 0.5 seconds engine improvement is a low-ball figure. Renault has always been know to undersell themselves.
So all the times last year renault said their engine upgrade would provide x amount of improvement when in reality there was none , you would call underselling?
I put zero weight in anything renault says about their Engine untill i see it on the track... the same goes for honda they both have a history(recent) of talking big and not backing it up with anything on the track.
I highly doubt renault/ red bull found half a second improvement.
What red bull has done is been very fortunate with Ferraris missteps in qualifying 2 races in a row... one of which they won and monaco where we all know they would be good.. add a healthy PR blitz to those circumstances and presto we now have articles claiming red bull has leapfrogged Ferrari and are challenging Mercedes...
The almost 9 tenths ferrari had in hand does not get erased by an alleged 5 tenths improvement.
Monaco is only on the calender once : )

carisi2k

I believe it will be an interesting race for many reasons. If things go good there might possibly be a 3 way team fight for a victory if Red Bull and Ferrari have both improved with their updates here at Canada to push them within striking distance of Mercedes. I listed my reasons why I believe the Red Bull will be close to the front at Canada and here are my reasons why this race will be exciting.

1. Has Renault actually closed the horsepower gap to Mercedes and Ferrari?
2. Will Red Bull with the upgraded Renault engine be able to bypass Ferrari and worry Mercedes?
3. Will Ferrari's turbo upgrade help them push Mercedes and keep them ahead of Red Bull in both Qualifying and the Race?
4. Can Rosberg overcome his disappointing weekend in Monte Carlo?
5. Will Hamilton's first victory of the year spur him to greater heights in his fightback against Rosberg?
6. Will Ricciardo be able to push himself and his car to another level at Canada like he did in Monte Carlo?
7. Will Red Bull allow him to win and not screw up his pitstop and strategy?
8. Will Mercedes have more reliability issues?
9. Who will be the fastest in the mid pack between Williams, Force India, Torro Rosso and Mclaren?
10. Will Verstappen drive cautiously?

mclaren111

carisi2k wrote:
9. Who will be the fastest in the mid pack between Williams, Force India, Torro Rosso and Mclaren?
Mclaren will not be able to compete against the Merc engines - Williams & FI. TR might be possible :( :(

McLaren will struggle here :( :(

carisi2k

mclaren111 wrote:carisi2k wrote:
Mclaren will not be able to compete against the Merc engines - Williams & FI. TR might be possible :( :(

McLaren will struggle here :( :(
Most likely true but after Monaco I thought I had better put Mclaren into the picture so as not to upset Mclaren Fans.

Chuckjr

Vasconia wrote:
Chuckjr wrote:Red Bull are going to surprise this race. I think their engine has finally delivered enough to fight for wins on merit.
Don think so. Monaco was an expection and in Barcelona Ferrari was faster. If Ferrari solves its problems with qualy they will be ahead on this race.
So you would be surprised if Red Bull fought for the win on merit?
Watching F1 since 1986.

Vasconia

Chuckjr wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
So you would be surprised if Red Bull fought for the win on merit?
Yes, Mercedes should be superior here and Ferrari shoud return to form. So If I see a RB fighting for the win, I will be surprised.