2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
flickerf1
flickerf1

Re: 2016 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 08-10 July

LionKing wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ds.raikkonen wrote: Hamilton too is not the happiest soul when he is not winning :)
What I want to see is Hamilton starting from the pit lane/first lap spin etc and ending up on the podium/top 6 like Vettel at Abu Dhabi circa 2012/Brazil 2012.
did you watch the Spanish GP in 2012?
Lewis was striped of pole thanks to the team under fueling the car. he started 24th and climbed all the way to 8th.
All the way up to the 8th (finishing a minute and half behind)? Good one...
He had a car that was 6 tenths quicker then the next car in quali.
Because he was under fueled. Hence him stopping right after he finished the lap.
The Wicked + The Divine.

LionKing
LionKing

Phil wrote: I'd also recommend going back on the Hungary 2014 race. There seems to be more selective memory at play there...
Well, I recommend that too. That is the race where the safety car erased 40 seconds deficit Lewis had to the leader Rosberg.

LionKing
LionKing

flickerf1 wrote:
LionKing wrote:
dans79 wrote:
did you watch the Spanish GP in 2012?
Lewis was striped of pole thanks to the team under fueling the car. he started 24th and climbed all the way to 8th.
Because he was under fueled. Hence him stopping right after he finished the lap.
Not at all. The requirement was to have 1lt of fuel sample to be present after quali. They stopped the car on track to provide this sample.

In any case, even if lets say they underfuelled him by as much as a lap, it is about 2kg of fuel which translates to around 0.06 second. McLaren wasn't 6 tenth faster because of that. Even if it was properly fueled it would have been 5 tenths+ faster.

flickerf1
flickerf1

LionKing wrote:
flickerf1 wrote:
LionKing wrote: All the way up to the 8th (finishing a minute and half behind)? Good one...
Not at all. The requirement was to have 1lt of fuel sample to be present after quali. They stopped the car on track to provide this sample.

In any case, even if lets say they underfuelled him by as much as a lap, it is about 2kg of fuel which translates to around 0.06 second. McLaren wasn't 6 tenth faster because of that. Even if it was properly fueled it would have been 5 tenths+ faster.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarifying that.
The Wicked + The Divine.

dans79

LionKing wrote:
dans79 wrote: did you watch the Spanish GP in 2012?
  • The car was completely re-setup after he was excluded from qualifying, so the edge his car had in qualifying was erased.
  • He two stopped, while everyone else 3 stopped,so he was in extreme tire conservation mode.
  • It's Spain.....
197 104 103 7

ringo

We also forget the 2009 Australian GP, where he went from 15th up to 3rd in a not so great mclaren; using the new for 2009 KERS in a very smart way to carve through the field. But was DQed after going past truli for 2nd during the safety car.
I think most of us don't remember the races themselves, we just look at the stats as they are.
It's safe to say that Hamilton has done it all and more. Far more than Vettel or Alonso or Raikonen when it comes to racing.
I'm not being a fanboy about it, but there are to many great drives from Lewis to suggest he has anything else more to prove.
In fact the other names mentioned have more to prove as great drivers than Lewis.
For Sure!!

GPR-A duplicate2

Now that too many variables are being considered for the worthiness of being a champion.
How many drivers have fought with their team mate for the drivers' championship? Where every bit of the secret is shared that helped the team mate, where no extra help is provided, in the way of entire team putting all their egg in the basket of championship contending driver?
Lewis can always hold his head high, having fought with Alonso in 2007, with Button in 2012 and with Nico in 2014, 2015 and continuing in 2016. In that regard (although Vettel and Alonso are also my favorite drivers), Vettel (2010) and Alonso (2007) had just one such year.
When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship?

TAG

GPR-A wrote:Now that too many variables are being considered for the worthiness of being a champion.
How many drivers have fought with their team mate for the drivers' championship? Where every bit of the secret is shared that helped the team mate, where no extra help is provided, in the way of entire team putting all their egg in the basket of championship contending driver?
Lewis can always hold his head high, having fought with Alonso in 2007, with Button in 2012 and with Nico in 2014, 2015 and continuing in 2016. In that regard (although Vettel and Alonso are also my favorite drivers), Vettel (2010) and Alonso (2007) had just one such year.
When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship?
The amount of energy nessesary to refute bullsh!t is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

LionKing
LionKing

GPR-A wrote: When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship?
In 2010 with 5 races to go, Vettel was 31 points behind Lewis and 28 points behind Webber. He finished 14 points in front of Webber and 16 in front of Lewis. One of those 5 races was Korea where his engine expired when we was a few laps from winning the race.

In 2012 Vettel was 44 points behind Alonso at the end of Germany and 39 point behind after Monza (higher deficits than in 2014 and with a car which was nothing like Mercedes 2014. RBR was even a little bit slower than McLaren that season),

flickerf1
flickerf1

LionKing wrote:
GPR-A wrote: When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship?
In 2010 with 5 races to go, Vettel was 31 points behind Lewis and 28 points behind Webber. He finished 14 points in front of Webber and 16 in front of Lewis. One of those 5 races was Korea where his engine expired when we was a few laps from winning the race.

In 2012 Vettel was 44 points behind Alonso at the end of Germany and 39 point behind after Monza (higher deficits than in 2014 and with a car which was nothing like Mercedes 2014. RBR was even a little bit slower than McLaren that season),
Lewis had two DNF's in a row (Monza and Singapore). Seb finished 4th and 2nd in those races. That's a 30 point gain. Next, he won three races and had a DNF (Mark as well) in Korea as you stated. It's not as if Seb had an extremely difficult run to the championship. The RB6 was the class of the field that year.

In 2012, Fernando had a DNF at Suzuka where Seb won. That's 25 points free. Lewis had a DNF in Singapore which Seb won. He then went on his win streak. Overall, the McLaren was the fastest car in 2012, but it wasn't at all the tracks. So, looking back, he's had some great drives, but you're still being selective and withholding information about what happened to his other championship rivals.
The Wicked + The Divine.

Andres125sx

ChrisM40 wrote:British media in pro-british sportsman shock...

Serious, why is it a surprise to anyone that the BRITISH media support a BRITISH driver, or tennis player for that matter. Only in Britain is patriotism a dirty word, even to brexiters.
Only in Britain? If that´s what you really think then better do not come here to Spain, here it is surprisingly usual to see people confusing patriotism with fascism :roll: #-o

Andres125sx

A-Bap wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
bhall II wrote: I'm with ya. Then again, I pretty much hate all drivers. So...
stop watching sky or any brittish broadcast... i have to hear about Haas entirely too much here in the Us... its par for the course... dito german tv when vettel was dominating.....

I'd love to. However the British Media is just about the only place where I can get good coverage of F1. NBC-SN, well if you live in the US, you know they kinda suck.
If you understand spanish, try MovistarF1. It is ppv but today you know that´s not a problem to give it a try and see if it´s really worth.

Previous era when it was free in LaSexta it was awfull, the bias for Alonso was disgusting even for Alonso fans like myself, but now in MovistarF1, apart from the journalist who is just that, a journalist with some bias for Alonso and Sainz, the rest is a pretty good broadcasting. Pedro de la Rosa and Toni Cuquerella makes the best broadcasting I´ve seen. Pre-race programs are really interesting with technical reports and comparisons, and race comments explaining different strategies, each driver option, etc. is remarkable.

And they don´t have any problem praising Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen or anyone doing a great race. I really hated previous era, but this one is so good I can only recommend it

LionKing
LionKing

flickerf1 wrote: Lewis had two DNF's in a row (Monza and Singapore). Seb finished 4th and 2nd in those races. That's a 30 point gain. Next, he won three races and had a DNF (Mark as well) in Korea as you stated. It's not as if Seb had an extremely difficult run to the championship. The RB6 was the class of the field that year.

In 2012, Fernando had a DNF at Suzuka where Seb won. That's 25 points free. Lewis had a DNF in Singapore which Seb won. He then went on his win streak. Overall, the McLaren was the fastest car in 2012, but it wasn't at all the tracks. So, looking back, he's had some great drives, but you're still being selective and neglecting what happened to his other championship rivals.
This was the question that was asked:
"When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship"
The answer was twice, with bigger deficits and without a car advantage like Merc 2014.

As for your response, which keep changing the goal posts, but anyways. Both of Lewis's DNFs were collisions and did not have anything to do with a mechanical issue with the car. In Monza 2010, he hit Massa and prepared his own demise and at Singapore 2010 he pretty much caused the accident by not giving any room to Webber who was inside.

In 2012 Suzuka, Alonso did not have a mechanical DNF either and he instigated the touch with Kimi's car himself.

flickerf1
flickerf1

LionKing wrote:
flickerf1 wrote: Lewis had two DNF's in a row (Monza and Singapore). Seb finished 4th and 2nd in those races. That's a 30 point gain. Next, he won three races and had a DNF (Mark as well) in Korea as you stated. It's not as if Seb had an extremely difficult run to the championship. The RB6 was the class of the field that year.

In 2012, Fernando had a DNF at Suzuka where Seb won. That's 25 points free. Lewis had a DNF in Singapore which Seb won. He then went on his win streak. Overall, the McLaren was the fastest car in 2012, but it wasn't at all the tracks. So, looking back, he's had some great drives, but you're still being selective and neglecting what happened to his other championship rivals.
This was the question that was asked:
"When was the last time, Vettel and Alonso overcame big deficit in points, to then win the championship"
The answer was twice, with bigger deficits and without a car advantage like Merc 2014.

As for your response, which keep changing the goal posts, but anyways. Both of Lewis's DNFs were collisions and did not have anything to do with a mechanical issue with the car. In Monza 2010, he hit Massa and prepared his own demise and at Singapore 2010 he pretty much caused the accident by not giving any room to Webber who was inside.

In 2012 Suzuka, Alonso did not have a mechanical DNF either and he instigated the touch with Kimi's car himself.
Alright, you have your views and I have mine. Let's just agree to disagree? It was a nice conversation though. :D
The Wicked + The Divine.

sosic2121
sosic2121

TAG wrote: The amount of energy nessesary to refute bullsh!t is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.
+1