2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FoxHound

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Jolle wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but double waved yellow means "slow down and prepare to stop" and not "lift a second early and take the corner full speed"

Because the track was clear at the time it looked a bit silly, but on the other hand a rule is a rule.
If it's proven that he lifted, however slightly, it can be interpreted as "slowing down". All they need do is check the data from previous laps through the corner.
That the corner was clear probably helps Rosberg as then one could argue the Marshals were tardy in given the green flags.
JET set

turbof1

It is always possible that the matter will be dropped. Speaking from a regulatory point of view, I think he is in the wrong because the sector time is not allowed to be improved if I am correct. But: how reasonable would it be to penalize him in that situation?
#AeroFrodo

FoxHound

cooken wrote:I was also quite partial to Hakkinen, what a legend. Paper records will now place Nico's name alongside Mika's. Boo. Maybe a 30pt font asterisk would do.
Yup, proper a balls to the wall driver! Met him at Mercedes world in Brooklands around 6 years ago, and as far as driver worshipping goes, he was in my top 3. :-D
JET set

dans79

turbof1 wrote:It is always possible that the matter will be dropped. Speaking from a regulatory point of view, I think he is in the wrong because the sector time is not allowed to be improved if I am correct. But: how reasonable would it be to penalize him in that situation?
Unless I've forgotten an incident, the last driver to ignore waved double yellows was Bianchi!

Honestly this is the type of stuff the FIA should be throwing the rule book at drivers for.
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

turbof1 wrote:It is always possible that the matter will be dropped. Speaking from a regulatory point of view, I think he is in the wrong because the sector time is not allowed to be improved if I am correct. But: how reasonable would it be to penalize him in that situation?
That's the thing.

It would look like the FIA are redressing the balance to get a decent race tomorrow. Of course Red Bull complaining doesn't help Rosberg's case, but punishment should be a tap on the wrists and maybe a warning. Anything more and it seems draconian.
JET set

sosic2121
sosic2121

cooken wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:
cooken wrote:Oh my, Nico ties Mika for poles all-time....feels dirty.
Do you want to say he doesn't deserve that? :-)
Yes I absolutely want to say that, however I am attempting to refrain...
FoxHound wrote:Took Nico longer to achieve with better cars than Hakkinen ever had (Save 98/99). But I'm guessing cooken is merely expressing that Hakkinen was demonic quick, especially in qualifying.
I was also quite partial to Hakkinen, what a legend. Paper records will now place Nico's name alongside Mika's. Boo. Maybe a 30pt font asterisk would do.
Well, that's how I feel when I see Lewis next Senna and Stewart, above Alonso.
Even worse, he has every chance to get couple more championships with this car.

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:
Unless I've forgotten an incident, the last driver to ignore waved double yellows was Bianchi!

Honestly this is the type of stuff the FIA should be throwing the rule book at drivers for.
If it was that dangerous, there should have been a virtual safety car. The onus is also on the marshals to retract those yellows quicker, as the corner was clear.
JET set

FoxHound

sosic2121 wrote:Even worse, he has every chance to get couple more championships with this car.
I've never seen a champion go faster then their machinery. And, in the last 40 years I don't think a single champion has won a title without having the best car.
JET set

dans79

FoxHound wrote:
If it was that dangerous, there should have been a virtual safety car. The onus is also on the marshals to retract those yellows quicker, as the corner was clear.
The FIA has a "zero tolerance" policy on a lot less significant stuff, so why not on important things like safety rules?
197 104 103 7

dans79

FoxHound wrote: And, in the last 40 years I don't think a single champion has won a title without having the best car.
Keke?
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
The FIA has a "zero tolerance" policy on a lot less significant stuff, so why not on important things like safety rules?

Because as i said before, if telemetry shows he lifted even for a second relative his previous laps, this could be deemed "slowing down".
JET set

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

FoxHound wrote:
dans79 wrote:

The fact remains that the yellows were not retracted yet, Nico simply chose to ignore them. We all remember what happens when drivers ignore safety warnings, as stated above.

No punishment would send the wrong message to the drivers, regardless of how safe it was for Nico to go flat out.
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Moose
Moose

FoxHound wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:Even worse, he has every chance to get couple more championships with this car.
I've never seen a champion go faster then their machinery. And, in the last 40 years I don't think a single champion has won a title without having the best car.
Hamilton in '08.

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:
FoxHound wrote: And, in the last 40 years I don't think a single champion has won a title without having the best car.
Keke?
Pironi would've won the title but did not contest the last 4 races due to his accident. He was well ahead of Rosberg and cruising to the title...
JET set

FoxHound

Moose wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
Hamilton in '08.
You are joking...
JET set