2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
FoxHound

Re: 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 22-24 July

Jester Maroc wrote: The fact remains that the yellows were not retracted yet, Nico simply chose to ignore them. We all remember what happens when drivers ignore safety warnings, as stated above.

No punishment would send the wrong message to the drivers, regardless of how safe it was for Nico to go flat out.
No, I'll reiterate that if it is proven he lifted, he did not ignore the flags.
JET set

Jolle
Jolle

FoxHound wrote:
turbof1 wrote:It is always possible that the matter will be dropped. Speaking from a regulatory point of view, I think he is in the wrong because the sector time is not allowed to be improved if I am correct. But: how reasonable would it be to penalize him in that situation?
That's the thing.

It would look like the FIA are redressing the balance to get a decent race tomorrow. Of course Red Bull complaining doesn't help Rosberg's case, but punishment should be a tap on the wrists and maybe a warning. Anything more and it seems draconian.
If he's found guilty it will be a start from he back for sure. This is a safety mater and one that killed Bianchi. It's a worst offence then overtaking under yellow or overtaking under red. What got Vettel DQ from qualifying in the past.

Schuttelberg

Moose wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
sosic2121 wrote:Even worse, he has every chance to get couple more championships with this car.
I've never seen a champion go faster then their machinery. And, in the last 40 years I don't think a single champion has won a title without having the best car.
Hamilton in '08.
:lol:
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

dans79

Lewis 2015
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2015/ ... ngary.html

Nico 2016
http://www.formula1.com/en/video/2016/7 ... _2016.html

The difference is about 6 kph, i hardly call that a lift. Specially when you consider what the rule says.
Two waved yellows at the same post indicates great danger ahead. Drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop; no overtaking is permitted unless a driver is lapped.
Last edited by dans79 on 23 Jul 2016, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

FoxHound

Jolle wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
turbof1 wrote:It is always possible that the matter will be dropped. Speaking from a regulatory point of view, I think he is in the wrong because the sector time is not allowed to be improved if I am correct. But: how reasonable would it be to penalize him in that situation?
That's the thing.

It would look like the FIA are redressing the balance to get a decent race tomorrow. Of course Red Bull complaining doesn't help Rosberg's case, but punishment should be a tap on the wrists and maybe a warning. Anything more and it seems draconian.
If he's found guilty it will be a start from he back for sure. This is a safety mater and one that killed Bianchi. It's a worst offence then overtaking under yellow or overtaking under red. What got Vettel DQ from qualifying in the past.
But using common sense, were the conditions the same as Bianchi's accident?
Were the Marshals tardy in retracting the flags?
Did Rosberg lift to acknowledge the flags?

I get what you are saying, but would Rosberg also not have a point in saying the corner was clear?
JET set

adrianjordan

FoxHound wrote:
Jester Maroc wrote: The fact remains that the yellows were not retracted yet, Nico simply chose to ignore them. We all remember what happens when drivers ignore safety warnings, as stated above.

No punishment would send the wrong message to the drivers, regardless of how safe it was for Nico to go flat out.
No, I'll reiterate that if it is proven he lifted, he did not ignore the flags.
But was he prepared to stop? That's the important part of double waved yellows.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FoxHound

dans79 wrote:Lewis 2015

Nico 2016

The difference is about 6 kph, i hardly call that a lift. Specially when you consider what the rule says.
Two waved yellows at the same post indicates great danger ahead. Drivers must slow down and be prepared to stop; no overtaking is permitted unless a driver is lapped.
Lift could equate to "slow down", and this could be a precursor to "be prepared to stop".
No mention on actual speed, or anything to do with sector times.
JET set

cooken
cooken

To be fair, Lewis probably needs a 15pt asterisk. K satisfied?

dans79

FoxHound wrote: I get what you are saying, but would Rosberg also not have a point in saying the corner was clear?
If I role through a 4 way stop because I didn't see anyone, I'm still going to get a ticket if a cop sees me.

You can't have grey area with stuff like this, it must be black and white. Anything less invites teams & drivers to bend the rules.
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

What is the weather forecast for tomorrow?
Will it be dry or will it be like today?

Jolle
Jolle

FoxHound wrote:
Jolle wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
That's the thing.

I get what you are saying, but would Rosberg also not have a point in saying the corner was clear?
Rules like the double waved yellow shouldn't be open for discussion. And I'm that respect the conditions were the same, both had double yellows. At that moment it's not up to the driver anymore to judge the conditions. Even if a Marshall makes a mistake, waving the wrong flag or whatever, it still is a double waved yellow, disrespecting that is, in some cases, deadly.

Jester Maroc
Jester Maroc

FoxHound wrote:
Jolle wrote:
FoxHound wrote:
That's the thing.

The drivers never get to decide if the danger has passed. This is what Bianchi tried to do.

Also, "lifting" slightly is very different from "slowing down and preparing to stop". I have no idea why we are debating the fact that he ignored yellow flags. I mean he got a purple in that sector!
Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

dans79

FoxHound wrote: No mention on actual speed, or anything to do with sector times.
http://www.eurosport.com/formula-1/f1-d ... tory.shtml
They have been told by F1 race director Charlie Whiting that they must now slow down by 0.2 seconds compared to their best sector time for single yellow flags, and 0.5s for double waved yellows.
197 104 103 7

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

siskue2005 wrote:What is the weather forecast for tomorrow?
Will it be dry or will it be like today?
Hot and a bit cloudy, with basically zero chance of rain.

Wynters
Wynters

FoxHound wrote:Lift could equate to "slow down", and this could be a precursor to "be prepared to stop".
No mention on actual speed, or anything to do with sector times.
There's a fine line. You are awfully close to saying "He braked for the corner, so that means he slowed down." Also, Marshalls being 'Tardy' with flags has absolutely no relevance at all.

"Why did you plow into those marshalls when the yellow flags were clearly visible?"

"I thought the marshalls were just being tardy bringing in the flags so I floored it through the apex. Turned out they knew more about what they were doing and what the situation was than I did, which is totally unforeseeable."

Personally, I think it was borderline but I'd want to see the telemetry and flag timings to be sure. To slow down and yet set the fastest time is definitely doable (dependent on how long the yellow flags were out for). Considering how much faster everyone else was going in the first sector it suggests there was a lot of time on the table so it's more than possible than Nico was deliberately slower than his previous attempt through the area marked by the yellow flags and then took a double-handful of that time on offer over the rest of the lap. That his first sector was also very slow may mean that he had better rubber for S2 and S3 too.