The weekly M3_lover questions lol

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

The weekly M3_lover questions lol

1) Honda, Williams and other teams used those endplates for there sidepods, and I have seen on the forums there has been many explanations, does anybody know the real reason for these endplates and other assorted diagrams because even I am confused on there purpose?

2) What does dirty air mean? What does Clean Air mean?

3) Do teams make new wings for the front and rear for every race?

4) How does a team know they made cosiderable progress to there car, as a whole because each race they bring aerodynamics updates to suit the car for each track? Is there any way to gauge that they made true progress to the car as a whole, would be how far apart they are to the leader in regards to lap times or speed?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Tp
Tp

Ques 1)
This is what F1.com had to say about it

[IMG:152:115]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4467/honda6dn.th.png[/img]

In front of the sidepods, the most striking feature is the large winglet (1), featuring a boomerang-shaped endplate connected to the side of the bodywork. This is an evolution of a solution adopted in Montreal last year, but with increased dimensions helping to manage airflow towards the rear of the car.

ackzsel

doesn't q4 answer q3? :D

f1.redbaron

1. Is it possible that they also act as upside-down skirts used in 70's and now banned? The idea is to trap the air, and force it towards the rear, where the maximum amount of it will be used to fully maximize the output of the rear bodywork. Is that how it works?

2. Clean air is what you have before the 3rd Qualifying Session, while the dirty air is what happens right after it.

All jokes aside, one of easiest ways to explain is for you to imagine a perfecly calm sea. Think of that as the clean air. Now think what happens to that same calm sea, right after a ship had gone through it. That would be the dirty air. In F1, it is, basically, all the eddies and vortices left by a car.

3. Not necessarily. Last year, if I'm not misaken, Honda had 18 versions of their front wing, while they only participated in 17 races. Renault had 6 versions (that they used). On the other hand, small-budget teams probably had a one or two variants of their originally designed front wing...if that.

4. Well, if you bring a nose specifically designed for a given race-track, you can't really get any direct comparisons, unless you haven't done any modifications on your last year's car (so all regs. must be the same as the last year's - yeah, right!), aside from the nose.

Another way to see if you'd made any improvements is the end result.

I hope it helped...I know I'm not the most technical guy on this forum.