[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

JJR wrote:Congratulation to Mateo for MVRC victory and AratzH for great win in last prestige race.
I want to say thanks Andre for saving this great challenge and Chris for his patient work.
Once again second place for me. Matteo simply did better job so I m glad for him.
I hope we will see next year.
I only choose the right strategy at the beginning of the challenge, when I decided to use previous year car and concentrate on cooling... I have to admit that i tried to copy your concept for the last race, but I had not enough time to test it :)

JJR
JJR

For last race I changed my concept and all air cooling was from front diffuser + closed sidepods. I have made last minute change to add another cooling intake because I was not sure about cooling.I would like to see complete results.
Last races for me were painfull because of difference between official results and my own.

etsmc
etsmc

Just to reiterate what everyone else has been saying, big thanks to all that have kept this challenge going and hopefully we can continue into the future.
Alonso Fan wrote: Also, a big thanks to Mercury for making me look half decent :P

P.S. Thanks RichME85 for the sympathy :/ at least I have a half decent base to work from for next year :)
Your car has been making improvements, its slow progress but progress none the less.
I would be waiting for the full results before thanking me. I think there may have been a major issue slowing my car down.

variante

Congratulations, Matteo! Well played throughout the season!
Literally everyone did an excellent job this season: well done, guys. Despite the absence of people like Chris or André on the track, I can assure that the level was very, very high.
JJR, next year is going to be your year!
TF, next year is going to be your year! :?

Pierce89

Out of curiosity, did Julien fall off the planet or just leave everyone hanging for months?
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

etsmc
etsmc

just a quick question... my results did not have numbers for exhaust or engine intake, anyone else missing these?

CAEdevice

Pierce89 wrote:Out of curiosity, did Julien fall off the planet or just leave everyone hanging for months?
Hi simply had other things to do.

LVDH

etsmc wrote:just a quick question... my results did not have numbers for exhaust or engine intake, anyone else missing these?
Yes, everyone is missing these. For some reason which is beyond me, these values were not logged. From what I saw in no car these values created an issue so I left it as it was.

rjsa
rjsa

I have never seen these numbers generated here in my setup.

LVDH

variante wrote:Congratulations, Matteo! Well played throughout the season!
Literally everyone did an excellent job this season: well done, guys. Despite the absence of people like Chris or André on the track, I can assure that the level was very, very high.
Yes I would so much like to enter again but I realized that too often I have to ask you guys to send me your complete car so I can figure out what is going wrong with the CFD process. Maybe I can get it bullet proof next season and someone else steps in to organize the challenge.
I am now thinking about building the worlds fastest electric RC car. I wake up every morning with ideas for this... Just like the old KVRC nights...
The good thing is that with TF there is a new challenger for the championship. I hope HP-Racing also get back in the game. Pure Power Racing could also find their way to the top. But realisticly I think that Variante, JJR and TF will push CAEdevice back to P4 next year. As good as he was, he made his points early in the season by figuring out how crucial cooling airflow was. Now more people got a grip of it. And I am sure that next year managing cooling air flow will be easier than this year as I will spend some time understanding what made it so difficult.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:I have never seen these numbers generated here in my setup.
The safest way to ensure that they appear is to split the special_bc into a left and right part.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Congratulations, Matteo! Well played throughout the season!
Thanks Variante! The absence of Variante influenced the final result too. I hope to see you on the track next year.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:realisticly I think that Variante, JJR and TF will push CAEdevice back to P4 next year.
I can not wait, I really can not wait. :evil:

I thought for a second to help the staff instead of competing, but now I definitely changed my mind ...
As good as he was, he made his points early in the season by figuring out how crucial cooling airflow was. Now more people got a grip of it.
During the last two races I had issues with the convergence, as you know, and the change of the number of iterations (that I discovered after the 4th race) made me develop the car in the wrong direction for about a month.
I developed a safer car fot the last race (it only lost about 10% efficiency between iteration 1500th and 2500th) considering that I had a good margin of points.

I think that next year we need to have the same number of iterations for every race and geometry (maybe 1500-2000, with a better mesh and some rules to have realistic the diffusers angles (in order to reduce pressure gradients) and lower ride heigth / diffuser heigth ratio (it is not only a matter of floor hieght, on the contrary, higher floor will bring even more extreme diffuser angles).

We should consider that convergence in a virtual challenge should be managed in a different way from an industrial simulation, because our CFD model is not a way to represent reality, but "it is" our reality (yes, Arthur Schopenhauer is my new chief designer).
And I am sure that next year managing cooling air flow will be easier than this year as I will spend some time understanding what made it so difficult.
About the cooling flow simulation: it couldn't be easier as it is now. We just need the possibility to rotate the heat exchangers (or to use two smaller heat exchangers per side).

We should also consider the influence of the position of the heat exchangers on the CoG or we will see something very strange(r) ahead of the front wheels axle on my car.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 20 Dec 2016, 11:38, edited 2 times in total.

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
The safest way to ensure that they appear is to split the special_bc into a left and right part.
Ok, I'll give it a try. BTW, have you looked at the last case I submitted? I'm getting a lot of images missing, Kind of randomly.

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
LVDH wrote:
Ok, I'll give it a try. BTW, have you looked at the last case I submitted? I'm getting a lot of images missing, Kind of randomly.
No, I have not had a chance to look at it yet. I am somewhat afraid that it will be an obscure issue deep in OF that I possibly cannot solve anyways. After Christmas I will look at this and making MVRC more robust. This is not five minute work. It will require a lot of time.