F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Vasconia wrote:
djos wrote:Ross Brawn is confirmed as MotorSports MD and Sean Bratches as Commercial MD!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/head ... roles.html

Excellent news imo. =D>
Excellent news. Ross is a pretty reasonable and inteligent guy. He will do a great job.

Difficult to imagine F1 without Bernie but I guess it was time to make some serious changes. Its good to see that Liberty has cleary identified most of the current problems of F1. Now we must wait and see if they can develop the appropiate strategy to solve them.
I'm not so sure...
http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-1/n ... 87380.html
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Vasconia

FrukostScones wrote:
I'm not so sure...
Elecric engines? I don´t this coming as early as 2020. I dont see a return to V8/V10 engines either. Brawn´s words are difficul to decipher so we must wait.

Andres125sx

I´m amazed about how many people will miss Bernie.... May I ask one single decision he made in past 15 years you´ll miss? Fair question, please reply.

Bernie did amazing things for F1, but that was 20-30 years back. Then in past 10-20 years he´s only make decisions to increase his own bank account. He surely think he built F1 as it is (and he´s probably right) so then he deserve the biggest part of the cake, and that´s what he´s been doing in past seasons, eating his own cake

But the cake is now significantly reduced, time to make a new one, and Bernie cannot be the one to make it again obviously

santos
santos

@Andres125sx totally agree. Bernie did a good job and F1 should be thankefull for what he did, but he's going already late.

djos

Vasconia wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
I'm not so sure...
Elecric engines? I don´t this coming as early as 2020. I dont see a return to V8/V10 engines either. Brawn´s words are difficul to decipher so we must wait.
He's saying F1 should step back from being overly road relevant and ensure the spectacle is preserved.

Personally I'd like to see the energy recovery systems dropped and the current V6 gain a second turbo. That would dramatically lower the price and increase the the fun factor imo.

This is imo what he's driving at, he's stating that it doesn't matter that road cars are going full electric, F1 is the full Monty, it's a show and a technological tour de force.
"In downforce we trust"

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

How are the current engine rules 'road relevant'? The restriction on development of the energy recovery systems themselves is so overbearing that how can there be any road relevant advancement?

Shakeman

I enjoyed the look on Bernard's face, he looked visibly shocked that the new owners didn't want to continue with the sport being run as Bernie's own personal fiefdom.

Good riddance, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Nothing is going to change quickly and good luck with Braun getting the car manufacturers to move away from road relevant engine technology.

Closer racing should be the aim and limiting the aero reliance and racing on tracks that allow overtaking and end this obsession of running round city centres.

zeph
zeph

Andres125sx wrote:I´m amazed about how many people will miss Bernie.... May I ask one single decision he made in past 15 years you´ll miss? Fair question, please reply.

Bernie did amazing things for F1, but that was 20-30 years back. Then in past 10-20 years he´s only make decisions to increase his own bank account. He surely think he built F1 as it is (and he´s probably right) so then he deserve the biggest part of the cake, and that´s what he´s been doing in past seasons, eating his own cake

But the cake is now significantly reduced, time to make a new one, and Bernie cannot be the one to make it again obviously
Nobody denies that he has been off his game for -say- the last ten years or so. I think nobody disagrees it is time for him to go.

But that doesn't mean I won't miss the old bugger being there. He is a familiar face that has been part of F1 since the beginning of time. A colorful character, always good for a laugh or WTF when interviewed.
I'd go as far as to say Bernie IS one of F1's big stars, and as much a part of the sport's history as Ferrari or McLaren.

He should have retired sooner, but with him gone, a part of F1's soul will have gone, too. The end of an era.

FrukostScones

Lack of growth sealed Bernie's fate... LOL
you got to be kidding me...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... ne-ousting

Motorsports is in decline. and will continue so.

Isn't IndyCars already near dead again?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

notsofast
notsofast

Andres125sx wrote:I´m amazed about how many people will miss Bernie.... May I ask one single decision he made in past 15 years you´ll miss? Fair question, please reply.

...he´s only make decisions to increase his own bank account...
That is how many people seem to view it, but I think he was simply an excellent negotiator. The problem is not that Bernie demanded lots of money, but that people agreed to give it to him. All those track owners agreed to his terms just to get their name added to the race calendar.

Bernie's job was to increase revenue for the commercial rights holders. He did that very well.

Sniffit

Does anyone have a link outlining the new owner structure?

TAG

notsofast wrote:

...he´s only make decisions to increase his own bank account...
That is how many people seem to view it, but I think he was simply an excellent negotiator. The problem is not that Bernie demanded lots of money, but that people agreed to give it to him. All those track owners agreed to his terms just to get their name added to the race calendar.

Bernie's job was to increase revenue for the commercial rights holders. He did that very well.
Not all those people... all those governments. It's why we've got crappy GPs with half empty seats on race weekend. Over the last twenty years Bernie didn't do anything that wasn't good for Bernie.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Unc1eM0nty

I think Bernie was surprised at the pace of the changes but not totally shocked, he said they were in the early stages of handing over the reigns when this takeover was first rumoured last year, they then put this on hold, him standing down so quickly will be the only thing he wasn't expecting.

Its the right decision, he was totally unwilling to move with the times, his old core target audience are aging fast and we need younger fans, it's hard though when the only way to view races is by subscription, I for one won't pay the likes of Sky but I would be prepared to watch the odd race via a stream.

The new owners need to be fairer with the cash they distribute, the likes of Manor need help. I hope Liberty media are true to their word when they say they want to grow and develop the sport, not just milk it for cash like CVC did.

notsofast
notsofast

TAG wrote:... all those governments. It's why we've got crappy GPs with half empty seats on race weekend. Over the last twenty years Bernie didn't do anything that wasn't good for Bernie.
Maybe we're saying the same thing, I'm not sure. My point is, of course Bernie didn't do anything that wasn't good for Bernie. That was his job. Bernie owned a significant chunk of the commercial rights, which is why his own interests were aligned with the interests of the other rights holders. He made lots of money for himself and for them, just as it should be. It's a shame that all those governments weren't better negotiators, but that's their fault, not Bernie's.

Vasconia

djos wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
I'm not so sure...
He's saying F1 should step back from being overly road relevant and ensure the spectacle is preserved.

Personally I'd like to see the energy recovery systems dropped and the current V6 gain a second turbo. That would dramatically lower the price and increase the the fun factor imo.

This is imo what he's driving at, he's stating that it doesn't matter that road cars are going full electric, F1 is the full Monty, it's a show and a technological tour de force.
It woud be a mistake to drop the energy recovery sistems because this is what the manufacturers want to develop. I am afraid that some of them would leave the sport if this happens.