Kubica to return to racing .....

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Kubica to return to racing .....

I hate to say "I told you so", but to all the haters from 5 years ago who said this moment was utterly impossible (and all the moderating that came with it), and that we were idiotic dreamers with no sense of reality.....

....well....

"I told you so".
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

turbof1

Giblet wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 18:13
I hate to say "I told you so", but to all the haters from 5 years ago who said this moment was utterly impossible (and all the moderating that came with it), and that we were idiotic dreamers with no sense of reality.....

....well....

"I told you so".
I can't remember if I was involved in that (by then I only joined a few months here) but all I can say is...
Feel better now? Is it off your chest?
#AeroFrodo

Giblet
Giblet

Oh heck yes.

It's more of a commentary on the accuracy of armchairs, and anyone who sees the world in two colours doesn't actually see the world. This comeback is something I been excited about for a while, I didn't come here just to say I told y'all so.

Moving on to the comeback itself.... I'm excited to see how things pan out in what has to be potentially one of the greatest sports come back stories of all time.

This is testament to pure perseverance in the face of adversity.... similar to Lauda's comeback which was pure willpower over what was his current reality.

Lauda knew that he had no actual physical issues to overcome other than pain once he was out of his emergency phase, but what blows me away about Kubica is how stuck with an eye on the prize despite it seeming impossible, and not knowing if his years of recovery and training and retraining would get him here or not.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

kptaylor
kptaylor

Not bad! Read he only ran fliers on the soft tire while the quicker times everyone else did were on the hypersofts. Also read he ran fully fueled so can't wait to see if he'll be given the chance for quali style runs tomorrow on the hypers.

ThommyH
ThommyH

There is a report in German media that Kubica was too slow. :(

Don't know how reliable that report is though...

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 12902.html

Vasconia

kptaylor wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 21:39
Not bad! Read he only ran fliers on the soft tire while the quicker times everyone else did were on the hypersofts. Also read he ran fully fueled so can't wait to see if he'll be given the chance for quali style runs tomorrow on the hypers.
If he can fast today I think its a deal done. But he will need to proof that he can leave the cockpit within the time limit.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ImageImage
ImageImage
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

I'm not trying to rain on the parade of sentiment surrounding Robert, but...

I sincerely hope Robert can post a competitive lap time today. If I had to put money down now, on the basis of what he's done in the car, I'd say he's not going to get the seat.

The content of the Paddy Lowe interview is extremely interesting in what it omits.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lowe ... ng-984112/

- No concern over his ability to complete a race distance.
- Happy with the number of laps.
- Happy with the program in general.
- Good feedback, tremendous experience.
- Professional and confident.
- Admire his determination.

However, absolutely nothing to say about his speed, or the competitiveness of his lap times. As a Kubica fan, that this is omitted feels very concerning.

There have been a variety of reasons, or excuses, why Kubica has yet to post a seriously quick lap time. My suspicion is, if he doesn't do it today, Williams will take Sirotkin (and his money).

Sirotkin has posted a time 1.3 seconds faster than Kubica managed yesterday, and in only 50 laps of running. Kubica's time was also 1.7 seconds slower than Stroll managed yesterday.

It seems almost unfair that he's come this far to potentially be denied at the last hurdle, but he needs to post a categorically quick lap to truly remove doubt of his abilities to race competitively.

timekiller001
timekiller001

I don't think they will choose Sirotkin. They need at least one competitive driver.
Stroll isn't (at least not yet), as he's shown this year. Sirotkin isn't that good.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

While he's no World beater, I think it would be a gross underestimation of his ability to refer to him as, "isn't that good."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_Si ... ng_driver)

He's solidly quick, and he would bring lots of Rubles with him.

timekiller001
timekiller001

The same can be said about Stroll, and he hasn't really delivered this season.
I just don't think Williams want two young drivers in the situation they're in. But who knows what's happening behind the doors

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

They probably don't want two young drivers, but evidence suggests that recently they love money more than talent.

Stroll
Maldonado
Senna (Bruno)
Nakajima

Kubica is in the car as we communicate. Please put in a fast time!

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

According to Twitter he's managed a 1:40.022 on the Super Soft tyre; Sirotkin did his 1:39.947 on the Ultra Soft (not sure of this information).

Edit:

1:39.485 - F1 Fanatic suggests it was the Ultra Soft.

zgred

Vasconia

Half second faster than Sirotkin. This should be done. Kubika must be in Williams!