2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix - Sepang, 30th-2nd October

Gothrek wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:I don't think Verstappen hits him. He is just taking avoiding action :o :lol: :o
Pretty clear Verstappen hits Vettel, you can see it in the lines his car is going and also in the line Vettels car is going.

Edit// From above (bad quality I know), but look at the angle of Verstappen car...
It is very clear that he bounces of Vettel before Vettel hits Rosberg:

http://i64.tinypic.com/6fyr7n.jpg
you're blind as a bat, you can take a look inside the onboard of verstappen, you can see him literally evade vettel and there is ZERO touching. it was also commented by the SKY reporters that investigation of the FIA showed that there was NO touching between VET and VES.

go hate the kid all you want, he'll be enjoying his millions and millions of dollars in his tax-free Monaco mansion enjoying supermodel GF's and coming home 2nd without touching any ferrari or merc - or any other car for that matter.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 02 Oct 2016, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Edax
Edax

f1316 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
f1316 wrote:Whatever any of us thinks about Vettel diving down the inside, it was certainly no more reckless than Verstappen's in Spa. Maybe a penalty was deserved today - I for one was bemoaning Vettel at the time for getting involved in so many first lap incidents - but if so, so did Verstappen. Since Max didn't get one, I don't see how Seb can get one.

Anyway, more annoying is how slow the Ferrari was (would Vettel have been so far off the pace?) on another day when Mercedes left the door open.
Only 1 difference...Verstapen actualy made the turn in SPA.
Undoubtedly Vettel would have made the corner if Rosberg wasn't there - it's a very wide corner - so don't really get your point.

So, regardless of right and wrong, the stewards are being very inconsistent. Come to think of it, has Verstappen had any kind of penalty for any of his clashes with Rosberg/Raikkonen/Vettel? Or is it *always* someone else's fault....
I think you'll find that most crashes would not have taken place if the other guy wasn't there at that particular moment. 8)

As for the ruling. I can imagine that the VES crash wasn't penalised because at no point he was out of control and he was actively busy getting out of a collision by climbing the curb as far as he could. You might question how he got there, but he did his best to make the contact as mild as possible.

Vet was the opposite. He was not in control, and sliding further onto the track, eventually hitting rosberg with sufficient force and angle to spin him around, and snap his front suspension.

But I think it it would help if the stewards would release some information other than car xx was penalised the for causing a collision. I mean they watch all the data, it would be nice to know what they base their descisions on. Or if they at least release their judgement criteria.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

nevill3 wrote:Surely Rosberg should have left a cars width at the apex of turn 1, I have just watched a replay and Rosberg cut to the apex without leaving room for the car that was there. Vettel had made the apex and was ready to accelerate out of the corner had Rosberg not squeezed him too much. Vettel's penalty should be appealed if possible.
Nico never could have seen that coming, it's racing, you dont bend over for the whole field to have a go at you.
Vettel should have braked more to avoid hitting him. It was a wedge that was gonna end.

Vettel got penalised accordingly for next race, simple as that.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

djos

Gothrek wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e40ns4sBnqU

Pretty clear, Verstappen hits Vettel, which makes Vettel go Tbone Rosberg....
I am really starting to hate this kid.

http://i66.tinypic.com/rubo0g.jpg
If you think your pics prove that then you need glasses!

Seb hit Rosberg, end of story, he even apologised to Rosberg during the race in an interview.
Last edited by djos on 02 Oct 2016, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Raleigh wrote:We need video but to me obvious Vettel and Verstappen tripped before Vettel hit Rosberg. Afterward Max was straight on radio trying (apparently successfully) to put all blame on Vettel.
Considering Seb apologised to Rosberg in an interview during the race for crashing into him, i'd say there's no need for others to blame him.

Btw, Fantastic racing between Dan and Max, massive respect for that side by side dice thru turns 5 & 6 racing hard wheel to wheel without touching or pushing each other off track, that was epic!!! Even Better than Webber and Alonso at Spa thru Eau Rouge a few years back!

Oh and really nice recovery drive by Rosberg, his racing skills are still not quite up to Lewis's Levels (dive bombing Kimi was just clumsy), but at least the next 6 races are going to produce some serious championship fight-back racing from Lewis. =D>

PS, giving a penalty for a first corner incident to Vettel is imo pretty harsh, especially seeing as he hurt himself way more than anyone else.
Last edited by djos on 02 Oct 2016, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

turbof1 wrote: What in the hell have you being smoking? Common, iotar. Try to alteast construct sentences us lowly mortals can understand.
C'mon Turbo, if iotar stopped smoking his whacky tabaccy, his posts would be way less entertaining. :lol:
"In downforce we trust"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

As for Lewis, i was severly gutted to see that happen.

He did not deserve any of that, he deserved that win fair and square. It's astonishing how much bad luck he has had this entire year compared to his own right words - the rest not.
I dont think there's actually somebody messing with his car, but i can imagine such a thought coming up in the heat of the moment. A minor amount of incompetence on the side of
his garage compared to f.e. nico's garage [ which were lewis' mechanics before ] might result in just the tiniest of negative outcome, but i dont see that happening for real, as they
would only hurt themselves with it.

Is it the result of pushing too much? who knows, it must be said that surprisingly, Mercedes was under a lot more pressure this time from RB then i ever imagined. They might have
gambled too high in fending off RB. perhaps, very much perhaps, if they kept to their own game, then lewis car would have remained intact and he would have either won this race
or in worst case scenario he ended up 2nd. Grosjean's crash causing the SC would have given Lewis car a time to cool down again either way, and there still was a need to pit for the RB
crew, perhaps not for Lewis. Even so, if RB came close to the Merc, they would have gotten in the merc's dirty air and make it a lot harder to actually overtake, though the DRS would
aid them. I have a feeling that RB might have stayed out if Lewis had not had a DNF, having them run on more worn tires, and Max himself claimed running within a second destroys the
tires, so i think that at best, RB would have gotten close to the merc but not actually overtook them.

It might even resulted in a VES-RIC battle for 2nd.

Unfortunately, none of that happened, and they can say all they want, VES clearly did NOT go all out on DannyRic.
Him being held up behind DannyRic in the pits hurt him a lot either way. I think VES could have made it staying out, which would have seen him in front of DannyRic. offcourse then the VSC would cause not such a gigantic 'gap' as it would be in normal circumstances, but VES did have relatively fresh tires, so if he hadn't need to pit anymore, he would have been in front and i don't think RIC would have made it to overtake him.

I think we more or less got robbed of that battle in the end, so happy for DRIC to win the GP, but to be honest, he had no real 'deserving' that, that was handed to him twice; by Lewis failure AND by RB shooting an arrow in VES's knee.

Rosberg's move on Kimi was totally retarded and the penalty was laughable and really a shame. A penalty is meant to hurt, this was rediculous. he could just drive a bit faster and compensate. he would lose his chance on overtaking more up front, but he didnt need to care about that with Lewis out. They should have handed him a drive-through penalty [causing between what, 18 secs?] or a stop-and-go penalty.

Rosberg's title chances are being kept given to him on a silver plate, both from the Mercedes team itself as the FIA. what a farce.

Grosjean's behaviour is starting to get really annoying. He's been told to critisize less on the team he's hired to race for - this behaviour surely wont be in the likes of Ferrari where he funny enough hopes to end up - but its not showing any respect for the brand new team providing him with quite a decent car actually. Incidents happen. That thumbs down was uncalled for. That little interview afterwards would have only been taken serious if you didnt publicly put that thumb down.

Alonso and Button doing great races.

Palmer actually beating Sainz Toro rosso? what was that all about? I know Danill once again had his share of technical hampering, but did Sainz too or was it just a utterly rubbish race from him?

wesley123
wesley123

nevill3 wrote:Surely Rosberg should have left a cars width at the apex of turn 1, I have just watched a replay and Rosberg cut to the apex without leaving room for the car that was there. Vettel had made the apex and was ready to accelerate out of the corner had Rosberg not squeezed him too much. Vettel's penalty should be appealed if possible.
The problem here is that Vettels move was a dive bomb, there wasn't any way that Rosberg could have known, nor expected anyone being there considering the Red Bulls were behind them.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Shrieker

Schuttelberg wrote:Vettel did exactly what Verstappen did at Spa
No way. As much as i dislike him, MV was going to make the corner and at no point was out of control at spa, in the first corner incident.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

djos

Shrieker wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:Vettel did exactly what Verstappen did at Spa
No way. As much as i dislike him, MV was going to make the corner and at no point was out of control at spa, in the first corner incident.
I agree, Max has done a few dumb things to date but that move wasnt one of them.
"In downforce we trust"

Nathanael F1
Nathanael F1

I don't really think anyone was to blame for the 1st corner incident. There was a big enough gap for Vettel to sneak it down the inside. To me, what happened afterward was just a racing incident.

After the first few laps the race became really boring...I almost fell asleep! But then Hamilton's engine gave up, and that really made the end exciting. I really want Rosberg to win the WDC this year, but even I felt sorry for Hamilton. The best part of the race for me was the battling between Ricciardo and Verstappen starting at turn 5 (?). I would've liked to see better camera angles of it, though. T-cam would've been really nice.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

strad

Whatever any of us thinks about Vettel diving down the inside, it was certainly no more reckless than Verstappen's in Spa
The point is that he has been super critical of Max AND others for doing the same type of thing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

nevill3 wrote:Sainz was able to start his own car on the grid after it switched itself off when the drivers were forming up. Very quick thinking on his part.
Unless he bump started it I did not think this was possible. Used KERS to start ICE ?

Vasconia

Wow, this was an eventful race!

I didnt expecting to see RB putting so much pressure on Mercedes.

Hamilton did a great while Vetten destroyed Rosberg´s options to win. He was very fast yesterday. Vettel was a crazy horse on that corner, there was no way to make this corner properly.

Hamilton´s problem was a surprise but it happened (partially) because he was under pressure and pushed very hard. I think his reaction was overdramatic and his first comments stupid as usually. He is not a 20 years old boy anymore, he should think what he says.

Ricciardo an Verstappen did an amazing job. The Australian was amazing defending himself from Max and the second was clearly faster.

Alonso did an amazing race, what a start! and his pace was incredible. McLaren should make a nice job in Suzuka.

About the Palmer-Sainz battle I dont know what happened. The Spaniard was doing a good job and he was only 1-2 seconds behind Palmer and making faster laps. But suddenly he lost pace and he couldnt attack the Renault. It was weid. Maybe he destroyed the tyred, I will try to know what happened...

iotar__

Vasconia wrote:Wow, this was an eventful race!

I didnt expecting to see RB putting so much pressure on Mercedes.

Hamilton did a great while Vetten destroyed Rosberg´s options to win. He was very fast yesterday. Vettel was a crazy horse on that corner, there was no way to make this corner properly.

Hamilton´s problem was a surprise but it happened (partially) because he was under pressure and pushed very hard. I think his reaction was overdramatic and his first comments stupid as usually. He is not a 20 years old boy anymore, he should think what he says.

Ricciardo an Verstappen did an amazing job. The Australian was amazing defending himself from Max and the second was clearly faster.

Alonso did an amazing race, what a start! and his pace was incredible. McLaren should make a nice job in Suzuka.

About the Palmer-Sainz battle I dont know what happened. The Spaniard was doing a good job and he was only 1-2 seconds behind Palmer and making faster laps. But suddenly he lost pace and he couldnt attack the Renault. It was weid. Maybe he destroyed the tyred, I will try to know what happened...
- Or perhaps they both didn't do a good job? Slower pace and lack of an overtake is a virtue these days? Fine by me, they can continue to be great like that. Add start for MV he lost to Vettel.
- The former (pace) had a bit to do with tyres and strategy.
- as for an overtake attempt MV was enough ahead/along but didn't carry enough speed during left outside (hesitation) and left right switch (+carrying the speed outside), speculation but it looked doable for a better driver (I would say that)