Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: Red Bull RB13 TAG Heuer

with this they have soft suspension for good traction, high rake and lots of underfloor downforce, and low drag on the straights, im beginning to understand their optimism if renault deliver a decent pu

edit

rb always produced high rake high df cars, but they also always suffered from low top speed, now they can completely counter that
Last edited by f1rules on 27 Feb 2017, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

ClarkBT11

Wonder if they cover the front hole on the nose it will stop the suspension dropping at high speed... like a air speed activated suspension just speculation of course. Or is that still activated by the rear when the rear get's pushed down to a certain angle?

f1rules
f1rules

ClarkBT11 wrote:Wonder if they cover the front hole on the nose it will stop the suspension dropping at high speed... like a air speed activated suspension just speculation of course. Or is that still activated by the rear when the rear get's pushed down to a certain angle?
interesting thought. i was thinking about in conjunction with the obvious fw flex backwards, maybe air switch of some kind

ClarkBT11

f1rules wrote:
ClarkBT11 wrote:Wonder if they cover the front hole on the nose it will stop the suspension dropping at high speed... like a air speed activated suspension just speculation of course. Or is that still activated by the rear when the rear get's pushed down to a certain angle?
interesting thought. i was thinking about in conjunction with the obvious fw flex backwards, maybe air switch of some kind
I agree could be anything there's definitely some sort of activation, why would they have a hole adding drag because it isn't for the s-duct the opening for that is under the nose. Guess we'll have to wait for someone in the know.

Shrieker

http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... ML8657.jpg

I could crawl in and sleep there lol.

Comfortably.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ClarkBT11

Shrieker wrote:http://www.newsf1.it/wp-content/uploads ... ML8657.jpg

I could crawl in and sleep there lol.

Comfortably.
even slopes up for you to rest your head on "bonus" lol.

djos

FW17 wrote:The mystery............

How the rake changes even with DRS enabled

http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 805177.jpg
http://images.adrivo.com/images/950/q_8 ... 805136.jpg
Holy crap, that's what Williams used to be able to do with active suspension back in the 90's and they've managed it mechanically somehow! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

roadie wrote:
This is very, very interesting and is unlike anything I have seen before.
i was about to say the same. look how free and open that rear area is,
how absolutely low the car is to the ground. how on earth is that possible with so much rake ?!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

if i look at the 'high shoulders' the RB13 has compared to the rest of the field (i mean the sidepod to engine cover shape is much bloated) then i think there is some form of aerodynamic effect created there and then pushed to the rear end somehow,
perhaps creating just enough force to push the rear down. The car therefor would need i assume 'springs' that have been constructed in such manner that when a exact certain amount of force is pushed upon them, they essentially lose its stiffness and 'fold'. that's where i would think i'd search it.

is there a specific rule that dictates the material used for the springs?

if not, then i'm sure that using some bimetal or smartly produced polymer would have the capacity to be rigid under certain pressure, and then when a certain pressure hits it (perhaps even heat due to friction, or engine heat being diverted to the spring to make it 'softer' or 'activate') it loses its rigidness and then due to the pressure pushed on the car itself, the rear end drops.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ncassi22
ncassi22

Manoah2u wrote:if i look at the 'high shoulders' the RB13 has compared to the rest of the field (i mean the sidepod to engine cover shape is much bloated) then i think there is some form of aerodynamic effect created there and then pushed to the rear end somehow,
perhaps creating just enough force to push the rear down. The car therefor would need i assume 'springs' that have been constructed in such manner that when a exact certain amount of force is pushed upon them, they essentially lose its stiffness and 'fold'. that's where i would think i'd search it.

http://www.pbase.com/racingmaniac/image ... iginal.jpg

if not, then i'm sure that using some bimetal or smartly produced polymer would have the capacity to be rigid under certain pressure, and then when a certain pressure hits it (perhaps even heat due to friction, or engine heat being diverted to the spring to make it 'softer' or 'activate') it loses its rigidness and then due to the pressure pushed on the car itself, the rear end drops.
I disagree. The shape of the pods is mainly so they can vent the heat over the cam covers and not via the pontoons. It allows them to flow more air down to the diffuser by running the bodywork much closer to the exhaust. Also there is a very neat detail on the edges of the diffuser to help seal the floor.

roon
roon

DiogoBrand

I don't see that incredible squatting that people are talking about. If you take a picture from the front and one from behind, it's obvious that the diffuser will look to be much higher from behind. That's simply because the diffuser itself is much bigger this year, not because the rake is higher on low speeds.

SR71

DiogoBrand wrote:I don't see that incredible squatting that people are talking about. If you take a picture from the front and one from behind, it's obvious that the diffuser will look to be much higher from behind. That's simply because the diffuser itself is much bigger this year, not because the rake is higher on low speeds.
The diffuser isn't the indicator for squat, at least not to me.

The fact that the side edge of the floor becomes parallel to the ground and feels incredibly low from front to back compared to low speeds is the tell.

The pivot point or center or rotation of the squat action looks to be the front axel or around there.

djos

DiogoBrand wrote:I don't see that incredible squatting that people are talking about. If you take a picture from the front and one from behind, it's obvious that the diffuser will look to be much higher from behind. That's simply because the diffuser itself is much bigger this year, not because the rake is higher on low speeds.

it's really obvious when you compare these two images and look at the height of the floor vs the ground in-front of the rear tire - specifically look at the edge of the floor in relation to the bottom of the wheel rim.

"In downforce we trust"

thisisatest
thisisatest

Manoah2u wrote:if i look at the 'high shoulders' the RB13 has compared to the rest of the field (i mean the sidepod to engine cover shape is much bloated) then i think there is some form of aerodynamic effect created there and then pushed to the rear end somehow,

http://www.pbase.com/racingmaniac/image ... iginal.jpg

A bellows spring, as already seen in heave operation on the front last year, can be designed to have a falling rate, or even an inverse rate past a certain point. Clever linkages can accomplish the same thing.