2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

"What scares me the most is not the Mercedes team," said Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz, "because it is not on our radar.

"What scares me more is that Force India and Williams could have even more power. I am convinced that in previous years we could have beaten them with the same engine, so hopefully this year we will have an engine that will allow us to fight," he told the Spanish press in Barcelona.

http://www.f1today.net/en/news/f1/22268 ... gine-marko

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach
Sevach

Quick almost irrelevant thing, white gloves, i like it.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

roadie

Good to see what appears to be decent reliability on the first day. However, I expected that with the seemingly mature Mercedes engine.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

I came back to be competitive – Massa

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/27/i ... um=twitter

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Massa: “Much nicer for drivers”

Massa said he enjoyed driving the new Williams FW40 today, but he too cautioned about what the racing will be like.

“Definitely from the driving point of view, it’s much nicer for the driver,” said the Brazilian. “For the show, I don’t know.

“I’m sure it will be more difficult to overtake. Today driving behind cars you lose a lot more downforce, the car is also much bigger.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

BARCELONA TEST ONE – DAY ONE
27 FEB 2017

Driver: Felipe Massa
Chassis / Engine: FW40-01 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 21ºC / 26ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer:

It was a very good day. It was a fillip for the guys who have been working on the car. We had a very straightforward day, particularly in the afternoon. We did some pretty good tests – short runs, long runs, compared the soft and medium tyres. We are still getting to know the FW40, so it is an interesting time of year and it is looking pretty reasonable at the moment. There is a massive amount to do, particularly this year with the huge regulation changes. The tyres are going to take a lot of time getting to learn with the different compounds and sizes. There is a good chunk more downforce on the car. It’s a change for the drivers as their driving technique is quite different with this amount of grip, and the way we look after the car is different too, however the winter preparation seems to be paying off.

Felipe Massa:

Today was a good day. The first day of the test is always one where you hope everything on the car works well and that it’s reliable, and with 103 laps on the board I’d say that wasn’t bad at all. In the morning, we made a few set-up changes and checks so we knew that everything on the car was working in the right way. There was some waiting around whilst that was done thoroughly. That said, the lap count racked up in the afternoon after all those initial checks and changes were carried out. It’s early to say where we are whilst we’re still in this learning stage, but I’m really enjoying driving. There’s much more grip and they go much quicker in the corners. We can brake much later and reach high speeds much quicker. Overall, it was a great first day which is really positive for the whole team. We completed more than 100 laps and I really hope we learn new things day by day and prepare ourselves as best as we can for the first race in Australia.

Felipe Massa: 1.22.076 (3rd) on lap 65/103

Quickest time: L. Hamilton 1:21.765 on 24/73

Williams Martini Racing returns to track tomorrow with Lance Stroll at the wheel of the FW40 for the first time.

Sevach
Sevach

I'm hoping for a good first outing for Stroll tommorow, safe, consistent and on pace.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Sevach wrote:I'm hoping for a good first outing for Stroll tommorow, safe, consistent and on pace.
My guess: He will start the day with some aero work!

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Aero work :roll:

Sevach
Sevach

How exciting for the kid right... But hey important work needs to be done.
Also score one for you my friend.

https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/stat ... 4687742978

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

"
A STRANGE ONE FOR STROLL...
He was on the escape road just on the exit of the fast turn nine, but facing the wrong way.
We can't see any visible marks on the tarmac or neighbouring gravel trap.
Either way, he completes a three-point turn and is able to get going again.
Green flag.
"