2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

That was a much better day of testing =D>

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams needs to avoid further accidents - Massa

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... sa-880475/

By: Pablo Elizalde, News Editor
Co-author: Jonathan Noble, Formula 1 Editor

Felipe Massa says it is vital for his Williams F1 team to avoid any problems in the remaining days of testing in order to make up for the lost time last week.

The Brazilian enjoyed the most productive day of testing so far for the team on Tuesday, covering 168 laps on his way to the fastest time of the session.

Massa's programme included work that the team could not complete last week after teammate Lance Stroll crashed and damaged the chassis, forcing the team to skip the final day of running.

Massa admitted it was vital for the team to make sure it has more trouble-free days like today.

"Always when you lose a day it is not great," said Massa, who will share the care with rookie Stroll tomorrow. "Maybe something we did today we could have done last week, but it was not possible.

"But we managed to do a lot more today. We managed to get some good feelings from the car, we managed to see the car is reliable which is important.

"So, for sure when you lose days and the car is not running due to reliability issues and other stuff, it is more negative. I don't think it was that negative for us.

"We still have three days in front, we haven't got many parts, so we need to try to keep everything we can. It is so easy to go off.

"We need to try to keep doing what I did today, in all of these days. It will definitely be great for the team," he added.

Not fighting Mercedes

Massa's time was the second quickest so far in pre-season testing, only slower than Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas' best from last week.

Although the Brazilian's time-topping effort led to Bottas' teammate Lewis Hamilton saying that it would be "amazing" to have Williams as a frontrunner this year, Massa was more cautious.

"I think we would love it a lot more than he would love! Definitely," Massa said. "But we need to wait and see. Definitely Mercedes has shown already amazing speed last week.

"I don't think we are at the same level as Mercedes, but I think if we can fight and have a great fight - maybe fighting for podiums is already a great job. So we need to wait and see in Australia."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/ ... 6254667777 ...
"I am so happy for the day, I don't remember before doing a day with 168 laps in my career!" the Brazilian said. "It was a lot of laps and l can feel it a bit on my body, but l am good. I feel in good shape in for the new season."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

BARCELONA TEST TWO – DAY ONE
07 MAR 2017

Driver: Felipe Massa

Chassis / Engine: FW40-01 / Mercedes-AMG F1 M08 EQ Power+
Weather: Warm and Dry
Maximum air & track temps: 20ºC / 26ºC

Rod Nelson, Chief Test & Support Engineer:It was an excellent day for the team today. We were a little on the back foot after the first test, so we modified our test programme to make up for some of the lost track time, and cover as much work as we could . We did this successfully and completed our programme on schedule. We planned for 165 laps and we’ve done slightly better than that with 168, so we’re very happy. We got some really significant testing done today.

Felipe Massa: It was a very long day but it was definitely a great one for the team. We managed to do 168 laps so for the car, the team, and the reliability, it was definitely a great day. We did everything we were supposed to do. It’s always nice when you finish a day of testing and you’ve done everything that you planned to do, including completing a race distance. Our laptimes were also competitive, which is always a good feeling. We’re still at the beginning of the year and there’s so many things to do and to understand, to figure out where we are compared to the others, but it’s definitely a very positive day. I’m happy with all of the laps that I did and the job that the whole team did today was great.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

https://twitter.com/ams_formula1/status ... 5633674240 MASSA IN REKORDLAUNE
Ein Veteran meldet sich zurück

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 41771.html

The important part from article is below :

"Above all, they (RB, Mercedes, Ferrari) can develop faster than Williams.
The racing team from Grove has practically exhausted its development program for winter tests.
The next major upgrade is only in Melbourne."

Sevach
Sevach

The team did the same thing last year too, they only brought new bits to Melbourne rather than testing, i'm unconvinced on wether this is wise...

On the positives it follows the old Adrian Newey school that every second in the wind tunnel counts to the max.
Also for a few years now introducing new bits without testing is normal, you are gonna do it during the season anyways.

On the negative side is that if something doesn't work or changes the balance of the car a huge deal the team will have a lot of difficult exploiting it.

As i said... i remain unconvinced of this course of action.

Sevach
Sevach

Sevach
Sevach

PS: It might be worth following the official F1 channel now after the Bernie era.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

From user @Gunk!

More Technical Notes From The 2nd Test

Williams confirm that they are testing two different spec FW 40 cars at Barcelona this week.
Stroll's car will feature:
State of the art, sand and gravel filters and a new hardened scratch free paint.
Socks stuffed into the air inlet manifold to reduce power and top speed.
A special area of raised floor under the throttle, so he can't fully accelerate.
Quote:
Rod Nelson comments. 'It may look as if Lance is in the car, but since last week we have been partnering with Google driverless systems.'

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Will Buxton:
"Just spent an hour trackside. Reckon Felipe's choice to unretire might be the best one he ever made. Holy wow, what a car he's got this year"

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Mr Brooksy

Geez, I hope this is a return to the pointy end after last season. Massa seems to be doing a good job. It would be nice to see the lap times in their respective runs though to compare to the Merc, RBR and Fezza's. Anyone be able to provide that for us?

If the constant runs are competitive, I'll let myself get a little excited... a little.

On another note, there hasn't been mention of De Beers and/or Lowe starting officially yet has there?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Sevach
Sevach

No pictures of Lowe in uniform or anything, De Beers is kinda expected, i don't even know what he looks like, more of a factory guy.
This has been such an impressive run that i'm wondering if we should've let our former aero chief go lol.

These rules might suit Massa, he was always naturally harsher on tires than his team mates, Kimi, Bottas, Alonso... cheese Pirelli's may have been terrible for him.
On videos he's looking super aggressive, kinda like young Massa, even before Ferrari.

Edit: Just found an article on the Brazilian press about how Massa enjoys this car a lot more than last years, compared last years to "driving like a granny".
http://grandepremio.uol.com.br/f1/notic ... o-uma-vovo
Last edited by Sevach on 08 Mar 2017, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.