2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
edu2703
edu2703

Re: 2017 Williams Martini Racing Team - Mercedes

Massa destroys his own race driving like a idiot and still blames Alonso? You need to be too stupid to believe that it was Alonso's fault!

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

edu2703 wrote:
17 May 2017, 13:51
Massa destroys his own race driving like a idiot and still blames Alonso? You need to be too stupid to believe that it was Alonso's fault!
Man, you are feisty ! :)

You have to accept that everyone can have an opinion (even if it's a wrong opinion)!

krisfx
krisfx

edu2703 wrote:

Go racing and put yourself on the outside, see how far you get.

ME4ME

LookBackTime wrote:
17 May 2017, 14:02
edu2703 wrote:

You have to accept that everyone can have an opinion (even if it's a wrong opinion)!
There is a great comparison video on the F1 facebook page showing Massa en Alonso's onboard view. I suggest you have a look at it. There is no way you can reasonably blame Alonso for making contact. Felipe made a sudden move to the right where Alonso already was. I think the only thing that's arguable is weather Massa was at fault. In his reflex in avoiding Raikkonen he moved further away to the right than needed. Also he could've chosen to slow down if he'd thought he was potentially going to make contact with Raikkonen. I think in the split second he realized Raikkonen was rejoining the track at that angle, he forgot Alonso was there.

FrukostScones

ME4ME wrote:
17 May 2017, 13:04
Williams did reasonably well when they had Bottas & Massa. As far as I'm aware Bottas didn't bring any money. They don't need Strolls money to survive, although it certainly helps. If Stroll doesn't score any points, there there is no meaning in giving him a drive for 2018.

Hopefully Williams can replace Stroll with Wehrlein. Also they should consider a successor for Massa. I'm inclined to say that their current 3rd driver, Paul di Resta, is actually a realistic option because it's unlikely Williams would be able to get either Perez or Sainz for next year.
sry but BOT brought Mio $ Wihuri money to Williams.
Williams for some years now is a double paydriver team. Even Massa is a indirect paydriver now payed by Merc for BOT through PU fees.
Now they are being "owned" by Stroll money.
How could they exit this situation without loss of face, soul (or is it lost already), or stable funding.
Near impossible.
Also with STR they prob. have to keep MAS alongside. (older, "more experienced"), do you think Strolls would allow STR to be blown to pieces by a fast young "nobody".
It is a drama of epic proportions at Williams.
And imagine the 2018 car being a real winner? What a waste this would be. ( I mean it is a waste now already).
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Sevach
Sevach

FrukostScones wrote:
17 May 2017, 14:35

Williams for some years now is a double paydriver team. Even Massa is a indirect paydriver now payed by Merc for BOT through PU fees.
How could they exit this situation without loss of face, soul (or is it lost already), or stable funding.
Near impossible.
Also with STR they prob. have to keep MAS alongside. (older, "more experienced"), do you think Strolls would allow STR to be blown to pieces by a fast young "nobody".
And imagine the 2018 car being a real winner? What a waste this would be. ( I mean it is a waste now already).
Can they still play this card? While there's no shame in getting outpointed by the more experienced Massa is no shame being smashed like Lance is getting right now certainly is, at this point it doesn't matter who is doing the destroying... it's quite clear that as of right now Stroll doesn't come close to cutting it as an F1 driver.

It doesn't really matter if his teammate is Hamilton or Wehrlein.

There's 2 guys on the grid who would help Lance save face right now, Ericsson and Palmer.

Carinni
Carinni

I checked the video about Alonso n massa's contact. I am not believing in anyone's speech, just I watched the tv n imo it was Alonso's fault to go straight n run into massa's right front wheel n evens seems a little bit intentionally. I didn't c massa had turned to right suddenly. And it was not related to the re-enter angle, already rejoined the track n making left turn already when contact. Just following a normal racing line moving to outside gradually. Maybe u can post the video link. Even Alonso echoed me that he felt nothing to lose n so he goes aggressively. It is my opinion. I don't think anyone can judge that I am wrong. But of coz, u may also have another view

ME4ME

FrukostScones wrote:
17 May 2017, 14:35
Near impossible.
Ok good, didn't know that.

The only way out is by sacrificing income for better drivers don't you think? That's my opinion at least.
Better to make the most of what they got than the current situation where they do not extract the points that the car is capable of achieving.

Also I wonder what Lowe things of the situation. He is new at the team and is not responsable for the state they are in now. Surely he must think it's unacceptable and will want to make changes for 2018.

edu2703
edu2703

LookBackTime wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

When I said "you," I'm not referring directly to you, LookBackTime, I was referring to everyone who thinks Alonso is guilty of the inccident.
You should say that to the moderator. He insists on deleting or editing my comments for no apparent reason. I think it's because of my opinion being different from most here.

While some are showing some kind of optimism, I think Williams's situation is terrible and it will get worse every race. It's forbidden to be pessimistic in this thread? The current situation of Williams destroys any kind of optimism in my opinion.

At least the moderator should show some dignity and tell me why he is doing it. He will probably delete this comment and continue to give me no answers.

Carinni
Carinni

ME4ME wrote:
17 May 2017, 14:17
LookBackTime wrote:
edu2703 wrote:

There is a great comparison video on the F1 facebook page showing Massa en Alonso's onboard view. I suggest you have a look at it. There is no way you can reasonably blame Alonso for making contact. Felipe made a sudden move to the right where Alonso already was. I think the only thing that's arguable is weather Massa was at fault. In his reflex in avoiding Raikkonen he moved further away to the right than needed. Also he could've chosen to slow down if he'd thought he was potentially going to make contact with Raikkonen. I think in the split second he realized Raikkonen was rejoining the track at that angle, he forgot Alonso was there.
Recheck n recheck, massa was the car in front, he was using normal racing line during the corner, n 100% leaving enough space for Alonso, so by no means it was Massa's fault. And a good driver of the chasing car usually will follow the normal racing line to move rightward even though he wanted to fight wheel to wheel until the front car doesn't leave him enough space then the chasing car mat compliant being forced off track. But in this case, pretty enough room for Alonso, and he also admitted that massa should not have noticed him as Alonso comes so quick n massa is the front car using normal racing line, massa should by no means to move leftward to let him go

Carinni
Carinni

Carinni wrote:
17 May 2017, 18:44
ME4ME wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:

Recheck n recheck, massa was the car in front, he was using normal racing line during the corner, n 100% leaving enough space for Alonso, so by no means it was Massa's fault. And a good driver of the chasing car usually will follow the normal racing line to move rightward even though he wanted to fight wheel to wheel until the front car doesn't leave him enough space. Then the chasing car may legitimately compliant being forced off track. But in this case, pretty enough room for Alonso, and he also admitted that massa should not be able to notice him as Alonso comes so quick n massa is the front car using normal racing line, so actually Alonso admitted he was too aggressive, even maybe not a fault.

Carinni
Carinni

Carinni wrote:
17 May 2017, 18:46
Carinni wrote:
17 May 2017, 18:44
ME4ME wrote:

Recheck n recheck, massa was the car in front, he was using normal racing line during the corner, n 100% leaving enough space for Alonso, so by no means it was Massa's fault. And a good driver of the chasing car usually will follow the normal racing line to move rightward even though he wanted to fight wheel to wheel until the front car doesn't leave him enough space. Then the chasing car may legitimately complian being forced off track. But in this case, pretty enough room for Alonso, and he also admitted that massa should not be able to notice him as Alonso comes so quick n massa is the front car using normal racing line, so actually Alonso admitted he was too aggressive, even maybe not a fault.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Williams defend Lance Stroll after teenager's tough start to F1 career
Claire Williams backs Canadian rookie but admits "the pressure is going to increase" if he doesn't start to produce results
By Matt Morlidge
Last Updated: 18/05/17 10:26am

Lance Stroll retains the full support of his team but must put less pressure on himself after a difficult introduction to Formula 1, according to Claire Williams.

The Canadian rookie, 18, has struggled next to experienced Williams team-mate Felipe Massa so far this season, and has yet to score a point in his first five races.

But the Grove outfit's deputy team principal told Sky Sports F1 that the 2016 Formula 3 champion has all the tools to deliver, claiming the teenager "needs a bit of space" as he looks to bounce back.

"I think it's really hard to make that step up from any junior formula," Williams said ahead of Spanish GP qualifying. "People can really underestimate that, and the pressure that these guys put themselves under.

"He needs a bit of space, a bit of head room, just to be able to go out and do what I think we all know he's fully capable of doing. Once he has that pressure eased off him a bit i think he'll go great guns."

Stroll's tough start is by no means unexpected given his lack of experience, but it is his failure to compete with Massa that has been most illuminating.

As well as scoring 18 points, the Brazilian, who came out of retirement to return in 2017, has made it into Q3 in every qualifying session this year. Stroll, on the other hand, has been knocked out in Q1 twice, out-qualified by an average of 0.9 seconds by his veteran team-mate.

But Williams insists this is a great learning curve for Stroll, who has plenty of help to call on within the team.

When's the Monaco GP on Sky?

"As you can imagine, Felipe is a great team-mate for someone like Lance whose just starting his career," she explained. "He's got all that experience under his belt and I think he's relishing that opportunity.

"For Lance, it's just taking things easy. He's a young 18-year-old who puts a lot of pressure on himself. He needs to step back and listen to all the experience that has around him in this team. We've been racing for 40 years, we know how to do this and we know how to nurture young talent.

Stroll v Massa in 2017

Lance Stroll Felipe Massa
Points 0 18
Qualifying positions 19, 10, 12, 12, 18 7, 6, 8, 5, 9
Race positions DNF, DNF, DNF, 11, 16 6, 14, 6, 9, 13

"I don't think anyone needs to worry quite yet about Lance. He's proving he's more than capable and more than deserving of a seat in Formula 1."

It doesn't get any easier for Stroll as he prepares for the city streets of Monaco. With little experience of one of the most unforgiving circuits on the F1 calendar, this could be his toughest test to date.

"Of course, as time goes on, if he doesn't deliver the pressure is going to increase," Williams added. "But I think he'll get some momentum behind him.

"Lance is a pretty determined young character and he's got the character within him to push through it and make it."

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Barcelona Sector 3 times

The final sector of the Barcelona circuit is often viewed as a good indicator for potential of the Monaco Grand Prix – because it sequence of tight corners require the same change of direction, traction and braking demands at Monte Carlo.
A look back at qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix highlights just how Mercedes has little to fear from slow speed demands.
Below are the best times for each car through sector 3 at Spanish GP qualifying.

Pos. Team Barcelona S3
1 Mercedes 27.647s
2 Red Bull 27.965s
3 Ferrari 28.055s
4 Force India 28.387s
5 McLaren 28.444s
6 Renault 28.620s
7 Williams 28.635s
8 Toro Rosso 28.695s
9 Haas 28.703s
10 Sauber 28.710s

Stalker1
Stalker1

LookBackTime wrote:
19 May 2017, 22:36
Barcelona Sector 3 times

The final sector of the Barcelona circuit is often viewed as a good indicator for potential of the Monaco Grand Prix – because it sequence of tight corners require the same change of direction, traction and braking demands at Monte Carlo.
A look back at qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix highlights just how Mercedes has little to fear from slow speed demands.
Below are the best times for each car through sector 3 at Spanish GP qualifying.

Pos. Team Barcelona S3
1 Mercedes 27.647s
2 Red Bull 27.965s
3 Ferrari 28.055s
4 Force India 28.387s
5 McLaren 28.444s
6 Renault 28.620s
7 Williams 28.635s
8 Toro Rosso 28.695s
9 Haas 28.703s
10 Sauber 28.710s
Damn, those Force Indias were fast in the low-speed section of the Barcelona lap!