2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh
Raleigh

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

santos wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 13:08
"Mercedes car: Engine and gearbox/drivetrain are heavier than last year. The car is longer"; "10cm cost between 2 and 3kg, depending on where and how you place it. Mercedes lengthened their car by 26cm"; "Mercedes at the season start is even 5kg over it"
Thoose numbers aren't very accurate. Or something isn't right. 26cm made Mercedes gain 5kg. But if the engine and gearbox are heavier, how can it be only 5kg?
Most teams were running underweight with ballast last year.

GPR-A duplicate2

santos wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 13:08
"Mercedes car: Engine and gearbox/drivetrain are heavier than last year. The car is longer"; "10cm cost between 2 and 3kg, depending on where and how you place it. Mercedes lengthened their car by 26cm"; "Mercedes at the season start is even 5kg over it"
Thoose numbers aren't very accurate. Or something isn't right. 26cm made Mercedes gain 5kg. But if the engine and gearbox are heavier, how can it be only 5kg?
2016 cars were 702 kilos (mandatory minimum weight). 2017 cars are 728 kilos (mandatory minimum weight).

When a new car is designed, a lot of lessons are learnt from it's predecessor. There would be many components that gets optimized (might be lowered in size, might be lowered in weight) and some components need to be reinforced (might be increase in size, or in weight).

So, while rebuilding the this year's car, instead of being 28 kg extra, the car is now 33 kilos extra (many components might have been modified, so it's not just the 26cm long, engine and gear box). And if you consider that Mercedes was running ballast last year (due to being slightly underweight), then without the ballast last year's car would have been under 700 kilos. So the overweight of W08 is not just 33 kilos. It would be 33+whatever the ballast that they were using last year. Because the current car itself is overweight, they can't put ballast anymore.

So, if Mercedes have to take advantage of placing ballast wherever they want, they have to now reduce the weight by more than 5 kilos.

outsid3r

Something interesting which I noticed so far this year is that neither Mercedes nor Ferrari have asked their drivers to "pick up rubber" at the end of the race (if my memory serves me right). Smaller teams such as Sauber have been doing so...

Mr.G

The rumors about overweight are probably true then...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

santos
santos

outsid3r wrote:
28 Apr 2017, 16:28
Something interesting which I noticed so far this year is that neither Mercedes nor Ferrari have asked their drivers to "pick up rubber" at the end of the race (if my memory serves me right). Smaller teams such as Sauber have been doing so...
I think that in Bahrain, Vettel was told to pick rubber.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Rainmaker wrote:
27 Apr 2017, 08:21
I think what they mean by overweight is the weight of the car with Ballast. I doubt they actually race overweight. F1 cars use ballast to change the weight distribution to suit different circuits. Mercedes might just be limiting the flexibility with weight distribution because of lower ballast weight available to play around with. I doubt they can change too much of this because their car is longer and therefore inherently will be heavier (atleast the chassis)
Hasn't the weight distribution been mandated for the last couple years?

nokivasara
nokivasara

iulian_florea wrote:
20 Apr 2017, 07:55
nokivasara wrote:
16 Apr 2017, 22:53

I think it's last season too, he's been in F1 since 2001 and peaked early. 2003 and 2005 he was absolutely top notch. Nowadays he is still a good driver to have in the team. He brings in steady points and stays out of trouble, for the most part.
Kimi is 37 years old, of course Ferrari knows that he will lose some speed, they all do. Remember Coulthard when he was in RedBull, it was awful, Schumacher was also surprisingly bad in his comeback.
I can't recall any 37 year old (or older) driver from the last 20 years that has been on the same level as Kimi, so he is actually doing a very good job for a guy of his age.
But it's time to step down and make room for someone else, I'd love to see Grosjean in the Ferrari. The downside of having him is that he is also very touchy about how the car behaves, much like Kimi. On a good day GRO is among the fastest IMHO.
Michael was 37 when he retired for the first time in 2006 :D
Oh crap, I thought he was younger. Should have looked it up :mrgreen:

Godius

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 4376321024 I like it, it is clear to read and gives it a bit of a retro look!

Thunder

A white or yellow Background should have been mandated for the Driver Numbers anyways. The Toro Rosso and Force India solutions on the Shark Fins are just terrible. Ferraris solution is really good to read.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Vasconia

Thunders wrote:
11 May 2017, 09:12
A white or yellow Background should have been mandated for the Driver Numbers anyways. The Toro Rosso and Force India solutions on the Shark Fins are just terrible. Ferraris solution is really good to read.
Not the most beautiful one, but yes the most useful. Good job.

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

F1NAC

Just reading now that Vettel has new ICE. Does anyone now if it has any updates?

ripper
ripper

Italian motorsport said it is an evolution with some more hp, around 10

JuanjoTS
JuanjoTS

Here is the flat top Ferrari engineers, the conference room of the hotel is a bunker.
https://goo.gl/photos/d7jHp54UFeyR95aY6

Sevach
Sevach

To put a smile on everyone's face.