2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vasconia

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Honda admitting they did "basic" design mistakes when they built the new PU.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.a ... b4632.html

Some of they sound totally surrealistic and ridiculous for such such a big brand like Honda. #-o #-o

mrluke
mrluke

I don't think the translation is accurate enough to draw any conclusions from. You could pretty much dead whatever you want to in it.

It looks like it refers to an interview that has previously been discussed in this thread.

diffuser

You got to take your hat off for him falling on his sword like that.

shady
shady

As much as the culture has been lamented, I respect that. However 5 races in to fix the issue.. a very serious oversight.

CBeck113
CBeck113

shady wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 21:18
As much as the culture has been lamented, I respect that. However 5 races in to fix the issue.. a very serious oversight.
Since they're only allowed 4 engines for the season, waiting to build and fully test a new spec may not be such a bad plan, unless the new spec is such a monster that it can round up most of the field from behind.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

mclaren111

CBeck113 wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 12:21
shady wrote:
03 Apr 2017, 21:18
Since they're only allowed 4 engines for the season, waiting to build and fully test a new spec may not be such a bad plan, unless the new spec is such a monster that it can round up most of the field from behind.

Love your optimism !!!!!

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Well, at least that rumor has been killed, no McLaren engine:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... es-889139/

etusch

Logically dead born rumor.

diffuser

After reading that artical yesterday when they chatted with Hasegawa-san in Australia; I feel better. They are behind and have to take risks. We were all hoping it would be less painful but it is what it is. As they iron out the issues the power will come on tap and they'll progress through the field. The positive is that the chassis was able to get mileage, and continues to. So they didn't loose much time there and they continue to evolve the chassis.

Now if they would only get rid of that shade of black and that white stripe .....

CBeck113
CBeck113

diffuser wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 21:08
Now if they would only get rid of that shade of black and that white stripe .....
I'd settle for the death of the white stripe - and that issue could be solved in Woking...easily....without bitching about the engine...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

SR71

diffuser wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 21:08
After reading that artical yesterday when they chatted with Hasegawa-san in Australia; I feel better. They are behind and have to take risks. We were all hoping it would be less painful but it is what it is. As they iron out the issues the power will come on tap and they'll progress through the field. The positive is that the chassis was able to get mileage, and continues to. So they didn't loose much time there and they continue to evolve the chassis.

@ Diffuser - I applaud your optimism, it's inspiring!

As an outside supporter of Mac I wish them nothing but the best but I see no cause for optimism.

Their engine problems are fundamental, there is nothing to "iron out". You need a page 1 re-write to fix these sort of problems.

Also, you cannot just add power to a fundamentally broken system. My believe is Honda is actually running at max power because that's all they will be able to find. You can say "theoretically" all day long but if you cannot actually do it, your system is already at max.

The chassis has 1 race distance now. That only puts them 10-12 race distances behind mercedes/ferrari for the season. Not sure I'd be using that as justification as things getting better.

The year is over for honda. At best we get a bunch of drama as they cave to their own inadequacy and finally bring in some people who actually understand how F1 works.

godlameroso

I like the livery.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

I would also like to see the white go. Orange with Black to "hide" certain designs !! ?? !!

Andres125sx

SR71 wrote:
04 Apr 2017, 22:32
At best we get a bunch of drama as they cave to their own inadequacy and finally bring in some people who actually understand how F1 works.
What F1 are you talking about? That F1 where manufacturers where allowed to solve their problems as fast as they needed to? Or current one where manufacturers are not allowed to solve their problems until several races ahead, in best case scenario (2017)?

What I mean is, Honda development in past 3 seassons is the usual development any manufacturer would have had in maybe 6 months. But if they did need 3 years for something wich usually takes 6 months that´s only due to FIA restrictions, not Honda incompetence. Well they obviously did a lot of things wrong, but all manufacturers makes mistakes while developing new products, that can´t a surprise. The difference is in current F1 engines/PUs are restricted, when some time ago they could use whatever number of engines, allocations, track testing days, modifications, etc. they needed to overcome their problems

Wich to me is the obvious reason for BMW or Audi to NOT enter F1. I don´t bother to enter those speculation threads because I´m sure with current rulebook no other PU manufacturer will dare to enter F1 again. Honda was brave enough to assume the risk, and they´re paying a high price. It would take an idiot to repeat same mistake again, despite all the bickering, Honda is far from a small or new company to this, their huge problems IMO are a symptom of a much higher problem

diffuser

@SR71 not sure what the SR71 is for but I'm gonna reBaptise you as ".5empty"! :wink:

Many a smart person working on that PU at Sakura. They'll find a solution(s).