2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
proteus

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

GoranF1 wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 17:04
ollandos wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 16:45
GoranF1 wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 15:53
Mclaren whit Honda engine is in trouble,but Mclaren whit Mercedes engine will never be allowed by Mercedes to win title.
the best season for mclaren on this new hudrid era it was with mercedes ..with worst chassis with worst fuel and electronics it was 1-1.5sec from the top...3 years back ..with new bigger effect from tires with in house engine maps and elentrocics developent and top class chassis-aero yes i think mclaren can win....NO otheir of mercedes customers have the facilitys and money and staff of mclaren ...the best from honda is to be 60-80hp back with terribly reliability ...us mercedes customer can be much closer...and it was ..for me there is no way to be mclaren worst from 2014 us mercedes customer....and no way to be better with honda from 2014 ...we see for honda on 2022 again ...
The best thing for Mclaren is to stick out trough this difficult time whit Honda, because when Honda dominate the dominate big time....sam whit Alonso, he needs to stay put.
Another season, two, or three or even more like this and Oijeh and the arab consortium will say thank u, we are done. And in that moment the team can fold, or atlest become an infinite lower midfielder with a fraction of their previous budgets and sponsors. This people may have massive amounts of money to spend, but they are not interested to throw it into a sinkhole with such little effect to clogg it. I am concerned the Mclaren is in the path of legendary teams which faded away for good trough the time (Brabham, Lotus, Tyrrell, + Williams which is somwhere in the limbo with small glimpses of hope now and then)
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Sevach
Sevach

bauc

Sevach wrote:
29 Apr 2017, 19:32
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... im-899851/

Mclaren is denying.
Ofcousre they will deny it, but there might be some truth to it. If Honda manages to secure deals with Sauber and one other team then Mclaren can freely jump ship and take the Mercedes PU. However, I would love to see this project succeed and to see Mclaren Honda on the top again.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ethbluth
ethbluth

Have there been any releases by Mclaren @ whether the 2 chassis (ALO/VAN) are consistently running identical hardware & setups?

The reason I ask is because I haven't been closely following Mclaren this year. The situation is also a bit clouded by constantly evolving information/rumors/plans etc. being discussed regarding both future improvements & fixes.

I don't know where they currently stand; are both chassis now identical as we look to Spain, Monaco, and Canada?

I'd guess that they are in a position to have quite a bit of freedom experimenting with setups etc.
I don't know whether they are frantically trying to catch up with the chassis, or if they have a firm foundation to fall back to if experiments don't work out.

Here is the article I'm referring to, which was March 29 regarding ALO v VAN: changes to the front wing, bargeboards, sidepod vorte generators, and floor.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech ... ng-887320/

(Of course aside from the PU situation)

Andres125sx

Question to all those speculating with McLaren returning to Mercedes PU:

Do you really think Mclaren will renounce to the title fight for a whole F1 era and they´ll assume a role similar to Williams as a second group team?

If you do, you´re severly understimating McLaren F1 team and don´t deserve to be named a McLaren fan, IMHO obviously. This is McLaren guys, this is not Arrows, Force India, or STR, if they quit from using Mercedes PUs it was exactly because of this, so thinking they´ll return to Mercedes is assuming McLaren people don´t know what they´re doing, but it would also means their targets are now midfielder targets.

Anyone thinking this way should unsubscribe from this thread, because...

THIS.... IS.... MCLAREN!!!!

Thunder

Aaaand another race over before it started... just what the Doctor ordered.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

max_speed
max_speed

Thunders wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 14:33
i have accepted the truth now. we gonna live in a world where Alonso secured 2 championships only. seriously after this much testing DNS.this is sub standard. my heart goes out and i want to abuse "Honda" for whatever they are doing to such an iconic team.

ronanharris09
ronanharris09

max_speed wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 15:48
Thunders wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 14:33
i have accepted the truth now. we gonna live in a world where Alonso secured 2 championships only. seriously after this much testing DNS.this is sub standard. my heart goes out and i want to abuse "Honda" for whatever they are doing to such an iconic team.
Mansour Ojjeh told everyone that the team are working on another option, could it be . . . An option to respond the last meeting results ?
When it comes to 💻 science 💫, what I much about it 💢 is analyzing the 📉 📊 👌.

ME4ME

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 11:44

Do you really think Mclaren will renounce to the title fight for a whole F1 era and they´ll assume a role similar to Williams as a second group team?

If you do, you´re severly understimating McLaren F1 team and don´t deserve to be named a McLaren fan, IMHO obviously. This is McLaren guys, this is not Arrows, Force India, or STR, if they quit from using Mercedes PUs it was exactly because of this, so thinking they´ll return to Mercedes is assuming McLaren people don´t know what they´re doing, but it would also means their targets are now midfielder targets.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vVCZhozOIp4/ ... Bmovie.png
Mclaren and their fans shouldn't overestimate themselves though. You do not deserve to win just because you're ambitious.

I am of the opinion that they should put the Honda collaboration on hold until 2021 and the new engine regulations. It's highly unlikely that Honda will be able to catch up in the current era, and thus Mclaren aren't either. Instead, they are in a downward spiral where sponsors are leaving and drivers are considering to do the same.

Put a Mercedes PU in the car in 2018 and rebuild the team. Prove that the chassis is indeed as great as they say it is. Allow the drivers to compete. Regain some sponsors. Regain decent FOM money. Make do with a lower budget, but make solid progress.

Honda can continue to learn with Sauber at heavily reduced cost, and take part in the 2021 regulation making process.

Frafer
Frafer

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Apr 2017, 11:44

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vVCZhozOIp4/ ... Bmovie.png
What a meaningful assessment, thank you for sharing
"I will miss Gilles for two reasons. First, he was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing. Second, he was the most genuine man I have ever known. But he has not gone. The memory of what he has done, what he achieved, will always be there." J. Scheckter

diffuser

Every race the further down everyone's spirits drop. Nothing really has changed since the winter tests,nor has Honda said it would change. They said they would try to advance it and have something for Spain.If they dont it will be montreal.

Not much to hope for before. We can watch the progress of the chassis but not much more.

Alonso Fan

diffuser wrote:
01 May 2017, 04:32
Every race the further down everyone's spirits drop. Nothing really has changed since the winter tests,nor has Honda said it would change. They said they would try to advance it and have something for Spain.If they dont it will be montreal.

Not much to hope for before. We can watch the progress of the chassis but not much more.
They had an update to address some reliability issues. I'd expect that to at least show in the results. But no
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RS200E

My predictions at the first few races of 2015 for McLaren Honda not getting a win in 4 years is sadly becoming reality. I now predict they will not get a win through this whole partnership of these current engine regs

Everything about this Honda engine is terrible. They need to extract performance from an unreliable and thirsty engine. This is too much for Honda.

They can't provide updates quick enough to fix all if any of this for this season. And there is no reason to believe that they can win anything next year.

This is the reality McLaren are facing and as a long time McLaren fan it's quite depressing.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

diffuser

The PU is not unreliable, it's generally just the KERS that giving them trouble.

With regards to the performance, vibrations and thirst they're all tied to the combustion.

With new heads coming I'm hoping that we'll resolve all those issues. We'll get a lot more perf in all 3 categories(fuel efficiancy, Power and KERS duration), Not sure how close that will get us to Merc. We'll have to wait and see. I'm also sure other issues will arise.

dren

Did Alonso really have PU issues or did he just park the car because he didn't feel like racing?

I'd be surprised if the chassis is any better than the Red Bull. This is a best of the rest team. They'll not be back on top.
Honda!