2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nanocustic

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

I wonder if Vandoorne is running with even less power than Fernando.
Meliora

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

I think it is quite hard to compare Stoffel with Fernando. First he is a rookie, and second he clearly is the second driver.

Vasconia

SameSame wrote:
14 May 2017, 18:59
ALO_Power wrote:
14 May 2017, 16:11
Well, I don't think the car that did P7 yesterday suddenly got bad. Basically what I saw was the worst luck ever. Lap 1, Massa pushed Alonso out = race gone. We all know how hard it is to overtake here and we all know at what position the team is at the moment (with the engine) so no chance he could recover. (even top teams were struggling to pass each other, let alone having a Honda engine. We were all hoping for a nice start and then try to maintain position not collision and big exit! :mrgreen: ) After the crash of lap 1 , not only Alo lost many positions but for sure that crash and off-road rally must have damaged the car also (not sure tho). Then, strategy got f#cked up with the virtual safety car, completely! Most guys in front got a free pit stop with it! So all went wrong. Couldn't utilize the start mess, couldn't utilize the virtual safety car! Instead they both gave huge harm. And like these were not enough, also u have the fuel saving so, rip. As for Vandoorne, well he didn't have the pace even in qualy but the crash with Massa I guess was his fault this time.
His race was completely ruined when he came out behind Kvyat. He could not get past Kvyat despite having a 10 lap tyre advantage and from there all hopes of points were gone. He was right behind Magnussen, Sainz and Grojean before the first round of stops McLaren tried the undercut.In hindsight they should have stayed out like Wehrlein did.
Man it hurts to see how slow the cars was on the straights. Even with the DRS is was imposible even to be enough close to try the overtake.

Anyway the small update worked well so we must wait until Canada/Austria and see how the new PU works. This update is essential because it could lead to Alonso´s final decisión about staying or leaving McLaren.

diffuser

Jef Patat wrote:
14 May 2017, 20:19
So, where are the guys that predicted Fernando would stop the car blaming an engine failure if he was not in the points?
Well, I said there was a good chance. Didn't say it was a guarantee. They did have to put on a relatively fresh set of softs so he could go after the fastest lap to keep him motivated out there.

He still is my favorite driver.

diffuser

@vasconia if that was painful, just imagine what montreal will be like without a new PU. Montreal is the inverse of Spain, no fast corners, all straight line speed, chicane, riding curbs and passing in really easy. There will be no hiding there.

diffuser

nanocustic wrote:
15 May 2017, 02:39
I wonder if Vandoorne is running with even less power than Fernando.
That move against Massa was Super "Junior". A move worthy of Grosjean's rookie season. Not only did it knock him out of the race but he will end up with a 3 place grid penalty at Monaco. Another one of those really DUMB calls, it wasn't enough he knocked himself out of the race ...no no lets tac on another 3 positions at the next race.

dren

diffuser wrote:
15 May 2017, 15:17
@vasconia if that was painful, just imagine what montreal will be like without a new PU. Montreal is the inverse of Spain, no fast corners, all straight line speed, chicane, riding curbs and passing in really easy. There will be no hiding there.
Sure there is, once the PUs blow up, they'll hide in the garage.
Honda!

OviJohn
OviJohn

Another thing that didnt hel Alonso at all was the teams Pit Stop times.

ALO, First stop was clocked at 4.02 segs IIRC; the rest were 3 segs+! On a race like Sundays that was key (Stint right behind Kvyat comes to mind)

This is a non PU related issue and totally depends on the team getting their act together. We´re way behind the top teams in this regard.

Sayeman

OviJohn wrote:
15 May 2017, 20:39

ALO, First stop was clocked at 4.02 segs IIRC; the rest were 3 segs+! On a race like Sundays that was key (Stint right behind Kvyat comes to mind)

This is a non PU related issue and totally depends on the team getting their act together. We´re way behind the top teams in this regard.
Same as last year's pitstops...haven't seen them making pit stops under 3 seconds too often.
Never Give up.

max_speed
max_speed

Alonso Fan

It's a good start but he's still 3mph down on the best of the day and in 17th...

Only 0.59s behind though.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

WaikeCU

Sayeman wrote:
15 May 2017, 23:30
OviJohn wrote:

Same as last year's pitstops...haven't seen them making pit stops under 3 seconds too often.
I think it must be the morale of the crew. It has dropped for sure, because how badly the team is performing. These are not Mclaren standards by far.

diffuser

WaikeCU wrote:
16 May 2017, 12:40
Sayeman wrote:
15 May 2017, 23:30
OviJohn wrote:

I think it must be the morale of the crew. It has dropped for sure, because how badly the team is performing. These are not Mclaren standards by far.

The 2nd stop was a bit slow, the others bellow average. they could improve ... .5 off the pace
[url]file:///C:/Users/lucicc/Downloads/pit_stop_summary_32.pdf[/url]

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

lol linking to your harddrive doesn't work buddy.

anyway, it's not worth dealing with right now. there's nothing to gain there when they're in this shape. at best that will bring them 3 or 4 seconds over a full race distance. Even if that would get them 1 p up, that would surely still leave them in P12 or P13 at the very, very best. so really, why even bother.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ME4ME

lol :lol: