2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Vasconia wrote:
29 May 2017, 10:55
Anyway it was a race to collect some points, something that the team needs desperately. But everthing went wrong and in the following races McLaren will only suffer.
I think all this weekend was a disaster and it will cost dearly as there is not much chance left to collect the 4 points Sauber has already scored. There were good points on the table, P8 was doable for Alo in a normal race, maybe even more.
In the end they did not score in Indy and not in Monaco...well they screwed both with engine failures anyway so Alo at Indy did not play a role.
Don`t russel the hamster!

diffuser

etusch wrote:
28 May 2017, 17:24
This race shows us Redbul and str has very good mechanical grip. I think Redbul may be slightly better then Ferrari too. But overall Ferrari is best at this season. I think we can say mclaren chassis 4. overall.
I think in ALO hands we had a chance to split the RBs.

etusch

diffuser wrote:
29 May 2017, 14:13
etusch wrote:
This race shows us Redbul and str has very good mechanical grip. I think Redbul may be slightly better then Ferrari too. But overall Ferrari is best at this season. I think we can say mclaren chassis 4. overall.
I am not sure about it but I am sure with Alo mclaren could finish in points and not just 1 point.
I think most important part of this season's car, they found the right way to be competitive again which they lost around 2013 and I think this is valid for engine too. I expect first 3 for next season.

GoranF1
GoranF1

etusch wrote:
29 May 2017, 14:22
diffuser wrote:
etusch wrote:
I am not sure about it but I am sure with Alo mclaren could finish in points and not just 1 point.
I think most important part of this season's car, they found the right way to be competitive again which they lost around 2013 and I think this is valid for engine too. I expect first 3 for next season.
In the hands of Alonso whit such poor Mercedes form in MC, we would have a Mclaren on podium.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

basti313 wrote:
29 May 2017, 13:48
Vasconia wrote:
Anyway it was a race to collect some points, something that the team needs desperately. But everthing went wrong and in the following races McLaren will only suffer.
I think all this weekend was a disaster and it will cost dearly as there is not much chance left to collect the 4 points Sauber has already scored. There were good points on the table, P8 was doable for Alo in a normal race, maybe even more.
In the end they did not score in Indy and not in Monaco...well they screwed both with engine failures anyway so Alo at Indy did not play a role.
If McLaren Honda thought the same as you do, they wouldn't have allowed ALO to go to Indy.
Plus Indy was a GREAT success for the sponsors. Lots of attention for ALO and McLaren/Honda sponsors.

Big Mangalhit

GoranF1 wrote:
29 May 2017, 14:28
etusch wrote:
diffuser wrote:

In the hands of Alonso whit such poor Mercedes form in MC, we would have a Mclaren on podium.
So you are sure we could have McLaren on podium? I think that is very very much optimistic. Even if he would qualify 3 which is already quite some feat I think during the race the Mclaren pace drops a lot in compound mode. so he would be susceptible to overtakes in the pit, either he would cover and undercut or overcut but both red bulls and saint would have the pace to make it work. Some points would be attainable maybe and that is already something.

Also I am not even talking about the MGU-H penalty, I doubt he could overtake the whole field from the pit lane.

Vasconia

basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Hungary should be this season´s best chance to collect some points. Maybe Singapur too?

Vasconia

GoranF1 wrote:
etusch wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Errr..........no. No driver could have reached the podium with this McLaren, unless you were expecting a 1996-esque race.

basti313
basti313

Vasconia wrote:
29 May 2017, 15:25
basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Hungary should be this season´s best chance to collect some points. Maybe Singapur too?
Forget about Hungary. They loose 1-2sec on the main straight. This can be overcome in Q, but in the race they are a sitting duck.
Singapore may be a chance, but they will need again opponents crashing to score there. Also for Singapore you need some power on the chain.
Vasconia wrote:
29 May 2017, 15:27
GoranF1 wrote:
etusch wrote:

Errr..........no. No driver could have reached the podium with this McLaren, unless you were expecting a 1996-esque race.
Looking realistically: With Van Q2 time you could expect Alo to start from P6. In a normal race he can not hold both the Torro and Gro. Only one of them can be covered with a similar strategy, so I would expect something like P7 or P8.
Don`t russel the hamster!

etusch

Vasconia wrote:
29 May 2017, 15:25
basti313 wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
When we look Barcelona qual, Alonso can take points from Hungary, japanness like gp's. If Honda don't bring any update to this season, still mclaren can take points but if Honda bring PU update and achieve their objective it will be very normal taking points with two cars every race

diffuser

Big Mangalhit wrote:
29 May 2017, 14:35

So you are sure we could have McLaren on podium? I think that is very very much optimistic. Even if he would qualify 3 which is already quite some feat I think during the race the Mclaren pace drops a lot in compound mode. so he would be susceptible to overtakes in the pit, either he would cover and undercut or overcut but both red bulls and saint would have the pace to make it work. Some points would be attainable maybe and that is already something.

Also I am not even talking about the MGU-H penalty, I doubt he could overtake the whole field from the pit lane.
Remember I'm just talking about the Chassis ability(so forget all the other stuff that happened).

Also, I used the word "chance".

and I didn't say podium I said split RB. I was talk about Quali...

Vandoorne did a 1:13.249 and Ricardo a 1:12.998. ALO has been a Min of .3 faster than Vandoorne. Monaco is a short track which makes the .3 harder to make up but V is a rookie at Monaco which is big.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Jef Patat wrote:
29 May 2017, 12:24
etusch wrote:
29 May 2017, 10:18
He had to warm up them
Indeed. Nor he, nor the team thought of that and they certainly weren't monitoring them. You seem to forgot that the fact that supersofts are harder to warm up and Perez did pit and had fresh options.You're missing the point. You need to look at the complete picture.
exactly. It was an embarrasing mistake. Should have had the patience to warm up the tires and wait for a try on a safer moment. He's not driving for Sauber, he's driving for Mclaren, even if Mclaren is not in form right now, it's still that very same team.

Everybody knows that coming out of the safety car period cools down tires and thus less grip. You don't go banzai like that, especially that corner. Should have used either tactics or pushed his opponent into an error.

Still, a weekend to forget.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

hollowBallistix
hollowBallistix

With an MGU-H that can only last 2 races & an engine that severely lacks performance, McLaren are going to finish bottom in the constructors this year.

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

I still have hope for that engine update. Clearly the MGU-H needs reliability improvements too.

Engine update/reliability improvements means a second half of the season to look forward too.

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

Manoah2u wrote:
29 May 2017, 18:47
It was an embarrasing mistake. Should have had the patience to warm up the tires and wait for a try on a safer moment. He's not driving for Sauber, he's driving for Mclaren, even if Mclaren is not in form right now, it's still that very same team.

Everybody knows that coming out of the safety car period cools down tires and thus less grip. You don't go banzai like that, especially that corner. Should have used either tactics or pushed his opponent into an error.

Still, a weekend to forget.
Did you watch/read any post race interview. Perez made a move on Vandoorne. You are saying the inverse. Perez dived to the inside and made it work. Stoffel got nowhere to go.