2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

If McLaren and Alonso are waiting for the Honda PU upgrade to decide on their futures then I suspect Honda won't produce it for Baku. Wasn't ready for Canada and unless they have a moment of clarity in the next few days, it's not coming to Baku.

It is that important a moment that Honda would be wise to wait until it is able to discover why there is a lack of correlation with the dyno results before promising any updates. If they don't solve the poor correlation then they are wasting time developing anything at all.

j.yank
j.yank

fellowhoodlums wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 21:02
If McLaren and Alonso are waiting for the Honda PU upgrade to decide on their futures then I suspect Honda won't produce it for Baku. Wasn't ready for Canada and unless they have a moment of clarity in the next few days, it's not coming to Baku.

It is that important a moment that Honda would be wise to wait until it is able to discover why there is a lack of correlation with the dyno results before promising any updates. If they don't solve the poor correlation then they are wasting time developing anything at all.
Exactly opposite: if they don't have correlation on dyno they will be forced to understand what is going on in the real life. Probably this will play important role in bringing the update in Baku. Yes, we can expect problems and DNF again but this is the dark side of the development process. Remember, we will never know how many engines were blown up by Mercedes between 2011 and 2014.

etusch

There is a word here that "dead donkey doesn't afraid from wolf". I think Honda can try everythingj without hasitation. Next level is divorce. It cause a relaxation for all.

godlameroso

fellowhoodlums wrote:

Realistically Silverstone, or Austria at the earliest, if they can't get the update on the car by Hungary, it's pointless to even try. They're going to struggle in Baku more than any other track so far. So much in fact that I expect them to come dead last. I still know by Suzuka they'll be ok.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 22:05
fellowhoodlums wrote:

Realistically Silverstone, or Austria at the earliest, if they can't get the update on the car by Hungary, it's pointless to even try. They're going to struggle in Baku more than any other track so far. So much in fact that I expect them to come dead last. I still know by Suzuka they'll be ok.
If they have more chance at A1 Ring, so they want to take penalty at Bakü. I see silvertone and especially Hungary is best chance for them in near future. So they have to ready for that races. At least with one car they have to bring update one of next two race. For Bakü it could be with one car. For A1 ring it must be with two car. They have to go silverstone without penalty. They have to go hungary without penalty. hungary is more important than Silverstone because of point possibility.

GoranF1
GoranF1

I know i read it before but can someone who knows repeat why exactly rules allow Mclaren to switch to Mercedes PU despite the deadline that has passed month ago?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

godlameroso

All the other manufacturers and teams have to agree on it.
Saishū kōnā

makecry
makecry

godlameroso wrote:
13 Jun 2017, 22:05
fellowhoodlums wrote:

Is this a hopeful guess? :?:

godlameroso

No hope, I'm certain about the very last part.
Saishū kōnā

HPD

Why, Eric Boullier, still says he hopes to work with Honda in 2018?
He is the only one that goes to Japan..

Edit:
In fact, Jonathan Neil of McLaren COO visited the headquarters of Honda in Aoyama and negotiated with the leaders including Takahiro Yachi, president and others.

Many of the remarks suggesting the resolution of partnership relations are merely issued as political bargaining rather than the development of frustration.

link: https://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/mot ... ndex_3.php

Alonso Fan

BBC says Honda are 90-100 bhp down on merc and that taking that fact into account, Alonso's q2 lap in Canada was faster than Hamilton's lap. Chassis is top 3 or 4 definitely, probably top 3 now with the updates in Spain and Monaco.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/40242037
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etusch

Alonso Fan wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 05:29
BBC says Honda are 90-100 bhp down on merc and that taking that fact into account, Alonso's q2 lap in Canada was faster than Hamilton's lap. Chassis is top 3 or 4 definitely, probably top 3 now with the updates in Spain and Monaco.

Chasis maybe redbul level in best positive approach not better.

j.yank
j.yank

etusch wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 08:37
Alonso Fan wrote:

In Canada Alonso got 4th best times in sector 1 ahead of both RedBul drivers. Only the two Ferraris and Hamilton were in front of him. Given that these are cars with huge power, and still he was only marginally behind them, I would say that McLaren have better than 3rd engine. But this is maybe because of the lower mass of the Honda engine?

etusch

j.yank wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 09:03
etusch wrote:
14 Jun 2017, 08:37
Alonso Fan wrote:

In Canada Alonso got 4th best times in sector 1 ahead of both RedBul drivers. Only the two Ferraris and Hamilton were in front of him. Given that these are cars with huge power, and still he was only marginally behind them, I would say that McLaren have better than 3rd engine. But this is maybe because of the lower mass of the Honda engine?
At which gears Honda's power deficit starts to play its role. I had read here that Honda works good at low speeds. And there are diferencies between cars. For example toro rosso was good at monaco, so I think they have good mechanical grip, Sauber was not bad at spain but worst at monaco, so I think Suaber has aero package not bad but very bad mechanical grip. I think we have to take it as whole package Redbull is slightly better or they are same level. I still think redbull play better with this Honda PU than mclaren.