2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GTO99

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

GoranF1 wrote:
GTO99 wrote:
To date the McLaren website still indicates fuel/lubricant as Esso/Mobil 1, even though it is known that they have jumped over to RBR and confirmed on their website.

where?

http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/partners/
Fuels & Lubrications
http://www.mclaren.com/formula1/car/#article-18

GTO99

the EDGE wrote:
GTO99 wrote:If Castrol is indeed on board as the fuel/lubricant partner, then I would expect to see splashes of red & green in the car livery perhaps similar to Petronas aqua highlights on the Merc.
http://images.hondaproracing.com/sites/ ... 8c0947.png
To date the McLaren website still indicates fuel/lubricant as Esso/Mobil 1, even though it is known that they have jumped over to RBR and confirmed on their website.
I doubt McLaren are going to paint their car in sponsor colours for anything less than a title sponsor who pays them too, they haven't painted the car in Honda colours who contribute far more, why would they for a fuel supplier?

The Mclaren website lists Esso/Mobile 1 because you are looking at the 2016 car still, it will change when they release to mp4 32

on their home page at the bottom they list sponsors, suppliers & Partners, Esso has been removed, it was previously displayed until quite recently. No doubt again, when the new car is released new suppliers/sponsors will be announced too.
Exactly my point. RB also have not released the new car, yet new sponsors have been announced on their website, Not McL.
On another note, they have not even updated their management team info...to include Zak Brown. This is totally not what I would expect from a top F1 team in the current information age.

Btw, teams don't paint their car based on engine supplier either.
Who knows what level of partnership BP/Castrol will have. Perhaps they may have significant sponsorship because of their existing alliance with Honda in other motorsports.

I also keep in mind this is not Ron Dennis's team any more. There were reasons why he was removed from management and replaced by Zak Brown.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Exactly my point. RB also have not released the new car, yet new sponsors have been announced on their website, Not McL.
On another note, they have not even updated their management team info...to include Zak Brown. This is totally not what I would expect from a top F1 team in the current information age.

Btw, teams don't paint their car based on engine supplier either.
Who knows what level of partnership BP/Castrol will have. Perhaps they may have significant sponsorship because of their existing alliance with Honda in other motorsports.

I also keep in mind this is not Ron Dennis's team any more. There were reasons why he was removed from management and replaced by Zak Brown
Iv'e already has this coversation but, Zac Brown is listed here as a McLaren Group employee http://www.mclaren.com/technologygroup/about/people/ as he is the Executive Director of the McLaren Technology Group and his role is being responsible for both the commercial and strategic operations of the Group, not limited to just the Formula 1 team like Jost Capito or Eric Boullier's roles are - Their website is quite up-to-date, and in fact a lot of the stories in publications like Autosport are just quotes taken from press releases on their own site

Zac has made no secret that his aim is to have a title sponsor by the second year and that the deal will be based on a results basis, as oppose to Ron Denise's Premium demands that has left them unable to find a replacement for Vodafone, so I very much doubt there is a deal in place already - as McLaren's website states, he is very qualified for this, it states he was the founder and CEO of Just Marketing International (JMI), the world’s largest motorsport marketing agency' so has plenty of experience/contacts here

I believe McLaren have stated that they are still looking for someone to be employed on an equivalent basis to Zac's to head the Formula 1 team, basically Ron Denise's role has been split in half and the F1 team is to be run as a separate entity in the long term, with Zac having a more hands on approach now, than he will do when this post is filled

trinidefender
trinidefender

Ok I've been quite out of team changes as of late. Would anyone be so kind as to update me. I understand that Zak brown has essentially taken Ron Dennis' roll as group CEO. Jost Capito is gone and no longer in charge of the F1 racing team. Who has taken over his role then?

What other significant changes have been made? Any big names coming or going from the team between the 2016 and 2017 season?

Far
Far

I read in a quote in the Honda F1 engine post the head engineer Hasegawa say Capito is out but thast McLaren business.

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

2017 season hasn't begun testing but we already have a story about MAC's "game changing" 2018 year.... 2017 is a write off. Poor Alonso, Button will be back in his seat before the 5th race I predict.

Zak's a straight talking American though and I like that - amazing if a fellow yank is the one to turn around the mighty British marque.

Interesting points:
-while it's not a secret to most of us, Zak confirms that major sponsorship deals take longer than a year. Keep that in mind when your tying your sponsorship argument to a press release date...
-IF a major sponsor is coming in 2018 and Zak confirms talks have already started, I would assume that this major sponsor wants to have their name on a title winning car. Perhaps this 1-year timeline includes funding process so that MAC can infuse the sponsors money in the car the sponsor is actually paying for. Why would you pay 100m to have your name on the car that your 100m didnt help?
-MAC's not short on money but another 100m deal could really push them forward - they have the team and facility to utilize that kind of cash properly.
-You get global notoriety, delivered very efficiently. Some say it’s expensive, but if you break down what it offers across the world, F1 isn’t expensive at all. Want to prove that? Try buying TV advertising in 200 countries. F1’s global reach is amazing
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... nger-brand
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Eddie_Temple wrote:2017 season hasn't begun testing but we already have a story about MAC's "game changing" 2018 year.... 2017 is a write off. Poor Alonso, Button will be back in his seat before the 5th race I predict.
Try reading the story, not the headline... Zac says 2018 will be a game changer for the McLaren BRAND, not the formula 1 car. His role is to develop McLaren as a company, he is not running the F1 team

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Eddie_Temple wrote:2017 season hasn't begun testing but we already have a story about MAC's "game changing" 2018 year.... 2017 is a write off. Poor Alonso, Button will be back in his seat before the 5th race I predict.
there are also stories that obama is a shape-shifting lizard. i wouldn't take every story too serious.
also, source?
Zak's a straight talking American though and I like that - amazing if a fellow yank is the one to turn around the mighty British marque.
lol, first see then believe. he hasn't done anything yet, so whilst there is no way to 'judge' that yet, there is also no way to 'praise' anything, really. if any, there's first the mess Mclaren is in to sort out above anything else. Jost Capito leaving as fast as he entered is not a good thing, and Dennis will not take lightly what has happened, so you can bet there is a lot of things going on in the background.

one might even wonder more whether Dennis actually did so bad, or whether Ron was up against a 'wall' that didn't budge and finally took Ron from his own product. Mclaren is all that it is thanks to Ron Dennis, don't for a second forget that.
Interesting points:
-while it's not a secret to most of us, Zak confirms that major sponsorship deals take longer than a year. Keep that in mind when your tying your sponsorship argument to a press release date...
keep that in mind on the judgement of Ron Dennis too, please. And that includes Martin Whitmarsh, too.
-IF a major sponsor is coming in 2018 and Zak confirms talks have already started, I would assume that this major sponsor wants to have their name on a title winning car. Perhaps this 1-year timeline includes funding process so that MAC can infuse the sponsors money in the car the sponsor is actually paying for. Why would you pay 100m to have your name on the car that your 100m didnt help?
Mclaren is not in a position to demand or ask for that. That is exactly what Ron supposedly was after, if we should - should we? - believe the tabloids, and it resulted in no title sponsor.
-MAC's not short on money but another 100m deal could really push them forward - they have the team and facility to utilize that kind of cash properly.
If Mac wasn't short on money, they would have injected a 100m themselves as it would surely be wise investment. Since they haven't - yet - one might wonder whether a title sponsor would have made a big difference. After all, whether it's Mclaren themselves, or whether it is Apple, Reebok, Coca Cola, or Olvarit, if calculations show that the investment of 100m doesnt bring back what they are after, then it's all really the same nonsense. In other words : Like Ron said, the missing of a title sponsor isn't hurting them as much as people want to believe.

It rather is hurting their 'image' towards the fanbase and general public, whom can't or don't have the concentration span to understand what's really going on. After all, the fans only see Mclaren without a title sponsor. Mclaren has enough money to inject into themselves should that be what is needed. The fact they didn't do that shows that endlessly thrusting money at a problem doesn't solve it. Something tells me that in the calculations and decisions about such a thing, surely Mercedes' domination is part of that , and the fact we're entering a whole new formula now.
So why waste all that in a lost cause?

like i said. let's sit things out first.

just look at Ferrari.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Vasconia

Sorry but I don´t like it.

What about the orange colour? are those rumours true?

bauc

Vasconia wrote:

All started with a interview with Zak where he said that the new livery will be more traditional and he alluded to Orange - same as their facebook and twitter announcement photos for the reveal date of the new car where the dominant color is orange
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vasconia

bauc wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

All started with a interview with Zak where he said that the new livery will be more traditional and he alluded to Orange - same as their facebook and twitter announcement photos for the reveal date of the new car where the dominant color is orange
Ok thanks for the info. Not a great fan of this color but many seem to be excited about this idea.

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

bauc wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

And when it shows up black, this time next year the forum will be filled with rumors of an orange MAC.
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

proteus

There was traditional orange on the car in 14, so we need to be a bit carefull of what we are wishing for, or let me rephrase it - the way they can include the orange into the livery.

If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

adrianjordan

proteus wrote:There was traditional orange on the car in 14, so we need to be a bit carefull of what we are wishing for, or let me rephrase it - the way they can include the orange into the livery.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Df3eUO7I-Hs/V ... -F1-75.jpg
Well thanks for that, I'd managed to forget just how hideous the '14 car was...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

daren_p
daren_p

proteus wrote:There was traditional orange on the car in 14, so we need to be a bit carefull of what we are wishing for, or let me rephrase it - the way they can include the orange into the livery.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Df3eUO7I-Hs/V ... -F1-75.jpg

Where is the orange, I just see a large yellow SAP logo?