2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 11:45
Sayeman wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 21:02
HPD wrote:
08 Sep 2017, 20:57
The same day that Alonso has removed all references to the Mclaren Honda. He published this:

https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/ ... 6820549632
Alonso moving to indy for a year would be the best for all parties involved. Let Honda work in peace for a year and then come back in 2019 for one final push to the title. Mclaren already has button on it's payroll.
wich means Mclaren actually use Alonso as a tool to put pressure on Honda

Removing Alonso won´t make things easier for Honda, only a performing PU will make things easier for Honda :roll:

I said this earlier as well, McLaren made the choice to go to Honda. They're being paid a fortune for it as well. I understand the bad PR at the start of the year but it's honestly getting boring and pitiful.

You are also living in a fool's paradise if you feel removing Alonso won't solve the issue. Honda aren't on the Merc-Ferrari PU level and having a low key, young driver certainly makes the media management a no-issue. So, until they get a winning PU, Alonso in the car is like paying 40 million euros for bad PR.

It's interesting though that you say McLaren use Alonso to bad mouth Honda. Just out of curiosity I wanted to ask you, did Ferrari also intentionally use Alonso to put pressure on themselves? :lol:

As I said in my earlier post, McLaren is a legendary team that deserves to be at the front. Alonso is one of the best ever and deserves to be winning races. But none of this is possible without Honda who themselves have a rich history in motorsport. F1 is all about team work and it's about time that these 3 parties recognise that and shut up and work. It's the only way to the top.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Redragon

A more realistic view of the situation by Horner. http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b45d3.html

He doesn't believe Renault and Honda will equalise Ferrari and Mercedes until 2021 or bit later..

So you can interpret that the deal Mclaren-Renault is as useless as Mclaren-Honda but you can see why Redbull or Toro-rosso would be interested to partner with Honda. So by 2021 there is a solely partnership between Redbull-Honda if things are going well between Toro-rosso-Honda and this hypotetical deal. Meaning, why Mclaren wants to brake a deal that Horner would be really happy to adopt by 2021?

I call it now Mclaren would finish its contract with Honda and Toro-rosso and Redbull will continue with Renault.

diffuser

Manoah2u wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 00:33
So i've read Mclaren is concidering building their own engines for 2021.

Could the conversations with Renault actually be about hiring their expertise and help to build an engine? and sharing expertise from their side as some sort of exchange?
I don't think the 2021 PU rules are finalized yet.

diffuser

If you you haven't figured it out. In THIS world, nobody deserves anything. They EARN it.

f1universe
f1universe

Redragon wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 14:42
A more realistic view of the situation by Horner. http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b45d3.html

So you can interpret that the deal Mclaren-Renault is as useless as Mclaren-Honda
If you want to fight for the title, both may be useless but McLaren needs results, they can another year like 2017, they have to take care of the brand.

Schuttelberg

f1universe wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 17:09
Redragon wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 14:42

So you can interpret that the deal Mclaren-Renault is as useless as Mclaren-Honda
If you want to fight for the title, both may be useless but McLaren needs results, they can another year like 2017, they have to take care of the brand.
The McLaren 'brand' is in no danger whatsoever. Zak Brown has himself said that every other division is in pink health. And any F1 fan, like myself only relates McLaren to championships. They can come 3rd or last, it's all the same. It's all about championships.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

HPD

I think people, mainly Mclaren fans. They have to know that there will be no other year "2017" or "2015".
Honda already said that the engine architecture will be the same. If Mclaren finishes this year as the fourth fastest team, they will start in 2018 minimally, as the fourth fastest.
People are afraid to start as "2015" or "2017". Calm down, this is not going to happen anymore.

If I am wrong, you can correct me. Thanks

etusch

Schuttelberg wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 17:13
f1universe wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 17:09

The McLaren 'brand' is in no danger whatsoever. Zak Brown has himself said that every other division is in pink health. And any F1 fan, like myself only relates McLaren to championships. They can come 3rd or last, it's all the same. It's all about championships.
If what they want is result then they have to go with Honda. Mclaren forgot why they left merc PU and now they returns to what they left for results ? There is a very good team proven its ability, using renault PU, Renault's own team planning to become champion step by step ( mclaren wants elevator ). Next season how can they say "we have third best chassis" if they far behind RB with same PU? İf it were Renault's own team who beats Mclaren what will they say ? Our chassis is third best but they are works team ?
What is the result they want to achieve ? If they don't want to be 3d team what is their objective with renault PU ?
Merc car is very good, PU is best. Ferrari has best chassis, PU very good. Redbul has a very good chassis maybe best next year. Mclaren has very low chance to be better then those 3. So what is their objective ? Mclaren management already had became williams mentally.

hemichromis
hemichromis

HPD wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 17:57
I think people, mainly Mclaren fans. They have to know that there will be no other year "2017" or "2015".
Honda already said that the engine architecture will be the same. If Mclaren finishes this year as the fourth fastest team, they will start in 2018 minimally, as the fourth fastest.
People are afraid to start as "2015" or "2017". Calm down, this is not going to happen anymore.

If I am wrong, you can correct me. Thanks
And if they move to Renault they will start, at best, as the fourth fastest.

Squid
Squid

Looks like things are moving: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sain ... da-951146/

If the Honda-Renault deal goes through, RBR is gonna come out of this mess as the biggest winner. Works status for their junior team, and a potential works deal for them if Honda improves. If not, stay with Renault and nothing is lost. McLaren will be welcomed back to 2013.

j.yank
j.yank

Red Bull has also said that the A team of the Austrian energy drink group would like to cancel their contract with Renault to Singapore in order to drive from 2019 also with Honda drive units. Obviously, the Red Bull decision makers are convinced that the Japanese will get their grip on their problems in just one year, and that the manufacturer's team will be able to give the team headquartered in Milton Keynes better prospects than the broken marriage with Renault.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 90906.html

If this is true, this would be the most shocking news to McLaren - they are desperate to get Renault engine because they think that they will catch RedBul but RedBuld themselves are going away from Renault which means that they are not convinced in what are convinced in McLaren.

Sayeman

A switch to Renault power is thought to be enough to convince Fernando Alonso, who had lost patience with Honda's lack of progress in recent months, to remain at McLaren in 2018.
Media has been playing the Alonso card all year.
Lets wait for the official confirmation. These Mclaren-Renault "done deal" news have been swirling for a month now...still no confirmation
Never Give up.

Squid
Squid

j.yank wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 18:34
Red Bull has also said that the A team of the Austrian energy drink group would like to cancel their contract with Renault to Singapore in order to drive from 2019 also with Honda drive units. Obviously, the Red Bull decision makers are convinced that the Japanese will get their grip on their problems in just one year, and that the manufacturer's team will be able to give the team headquartered in Milton Keynes better prospects than the broken marriage with Renault.
http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 90906.html

If this is true, this would be the most shocking news to McLaren - they are desperate to get Renault engine because they think that they will catch RedBul but RedBuld themselves are going away from Renault which means that they are not convinced in what are convinced in McLaren.
I wouldn't be surprised. Red Bull knows it's only a matter of time until Renault rebuilds their operation and starts directly challenging them.

Plus, I'd think that a possible deal with Red Bull for 2019 would be a good way to convince the Honda board to go to Toro Rosso. As has been said, their biggest hold up was that they wanted a high profile team like McLaren, otherwise their involvement is not worth it for them. RBR-Honda would fix this problem.

FrukostScones

the swap is happening then...
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FrukostScones

ZakB wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 19:00
It's done, thank god. The curse of the Japanese amateurs has been passed over.
RB says thanks to McLaren ギニーピッグ
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.