2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Didn't Peter P get to work with the original Renault V6T back in 2014? I wonder how many of his notes he has and I wonder if Mclaren have tempted any low-key (ie off our radar) chassis staff across from Renault or RBR?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

makecry wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 22:52
Del Boy wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 22:18
Alonso Fan wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 17:01
I sincerely hope mclaren produce a great chassis next year.
The chassis rules are static it will be a development of the 32.
Not that simple. The move to Renault PU is a bit late . Other top teams have next year cars already under way. MCL33 will need some changes vs MCL32.
A bit but not too much, if the chasis is good the car should work well. I guess McLaren is already working to adapt their chaiss to Renault´s PU.

adrianjordan

Just a thought, but does anyone else think that Renault may favour Mclaren over RBR?

The way I see it we'll have Mclaren Renault vs Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer. So Mclaren actually have the Renault name there, besides the strong feelings that RBR will switch to Honda so why should Renault put too much into them?

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

kaepernickus

adrianjordan wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:00
Just a thought, but does anyone else think that Renault may favour Mclaren over RBR?

The way I see it we'll have Mclaren Renault vs Red Bull Racing Tag Heuer. So Mclaren actually have the Renault name there, besides the strong feelings that RBR will switch to Honda so why should Renault put too much into them?
Where do you get the information that Renault will be in the team name or on the car?
For all we know it could as well be just McLaren, or they might sell the engine name to a sponsor.

STR didn't have Renault in their team name or on the car.

Dimi
Dimi

Wazari wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 01:38
maxxer wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 21:48
Is it just the power unit or they still make their own --- gearbox which cant handle vibrations ?
Don't you mean gearbox that causes vibrations?
Oopss..
Poor Renault they will have a new scapegoat to justify their amarteurism

techman
techman

Do you really think McLaren F1 Team will make that crucial decision based on the opinion of one of his drivers???/quote]

abosultely zak was open that he want to do what ever it takes to retain him. and alonso has said he wants to wait till he see what engine is in the mclaren in 2018 before making his decision. the reality is no one other team wants this alonso. its either mclaren or indy. alonso bring more problems and controversy. mclaren made a mistake to listen to him . next years the real true picture of mclaren will be revealed. and they will not overtake mer , ferrari or redbull and thats a gaurantee. mclaren chassis will be exposed. sorry to say my respect for alonso has gone down. his constant crying over radio. sound like a young teenager. very immature

etusch

Maybe Zak found a sponsor from Spain or expect to find.

etusch

Dimi wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:06
Wazari wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Is it just the power unit or they still make their own --- gearbox which cant handle vibrations ?
Oopss..
I wonder what McLaren or Alonso will do if they encounter what verstappen lives this season. I think Renault will be better next season but we won't know until see it

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Dimi wrote:
Wazari wrote:
maxxer wrote:
Oopss..
That won't work though if RB and Renault don't have those same issues. Currently there is no way to call it McLaren BS next season there will be.

adrianjordan

kaepernickus wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:39
adrianjordan wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 09:00

Where do you get the information that Renault will be in the team name or on the car?
For all we know it could as well be just McLaren, or they might sell the engine name to a sponsor.

STR didn't have Renault in their team name or on the car.
Well granted, we don't know as there hasn't been any official announcement yet, but I think it would be highly likely.

Dimi
Dimi

etusch wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:47
Dimi wrote:
Wazari wrote:

Oopss..
I wonder what McLaren or Alonso will do if they encounter what verstappen lives this season. I think Renault will be better next season but we won't know until see it
I hope the same. But with a redesigned pu they will encounter problems at the beginning

ZakB
ZakB

Haha, look at that. Renault wants to split with Red Bull, this keeps getting better.
etusch wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:43
Maybe Zak found a sponsor from Spain or expect to find.
Having someone like Alonso at your team is great for sponsors, they now only need to perform.

Thunder18
Thunder18

ZakB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 11:58
Haha, look at that. Renault wants to split with Red Bull, this keeps getting better.

what better way to beat your rival than to force them into a difficult situation... taking Honda engines for 2018.

Phil

Andres125sx wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 19:05

Do you really think McLaren F1 Team will make that crucial decision based on the opinion of one of his drivers??? :wtf: #-o
If that driver is also key to many sponsors, absolutely.

McLaren seems to be going a long way in an attempt to keep their star driver happy... Indy500 for example?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RS200E

@kaepernickus That's an interesting suggestion that the Renault could be rebranded in the McLaren.

Nissan maybe! 😃

Or Infiniti eventually.

Or even Datsun would be a step up at this point.

Not sure who else Renault - Nissan own but I thought they owned Mazda as well?
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!