2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bauc

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

Apparently the issue is with the new oil tank:

According to our colleagues in the German media, McLaren problems caused by a new oil tank' which is 'smaller and lighter' - and it, would appear, more problematic too!

Source SkyF1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

GPR-A wrote:If you want to beat the current champion team and be the champion, you have to raise to the benchmarks set from the champion team and then, surpass it. Mercedes has been impeccable in their Winter Testing operations management for almost 7 years now. They haven't been the team that has generally had a bad outing in a Winter Testing.

They brought a virgin PU out in 2014 Winter testing and it just ran seamlessly, not just on their own car, but importantly, on their customer's cars too.

If the quest is to be champion, McLaren-Honda have to raise their game and come prepared on every single aspect of Winter Testing. They may not become champion this year or next, but such apathy in getting ready for a season doesn't inspire confidence in anyone that, they are on track to be champions any sooner.

I see a few fellows around the forums saying, this is just testing; just the first day; better to have failures now than later; You can't find all the faults on dyno etc., Seriously? Do you ever ask, how is that Mercedes is managing such flawless Winter Testing for ages now? Do you realize that these teams possess ultra expensive, state of the art infrastructure?

If you haven't proactively thought about such problems and figured out solutions for such simple issues, you don't deserve to be a champion ever.
Too much bashing for nothing. I will remind you that Mercedes started the development of this P.U , 4 years before 2014 (also rumored even earlier). Plus Mercedes had so many cars to get data from (customer teams). But, the car was breaking down too in 2014. You forgot ? They had many DNFs / P.U issues in 2014 through the season. Is this successful winter testing? To run mostly ok and break down in the races? Mercedes P.U wasn't very reliable in 2014 but it was a rocket. After it, they ironed out the issues and made more performance from it. Don't bring the disaster. The car ran fine yesterday in the whole filming day. What Honda achieved is just outstanding. To come into F1 after so many years of hibernation and later than anybody else, with 2 cars only for data and a throat cutting token system and still make that progress is insane. I'm confident this P.U will get the job done. 8)

RS200E

Agreed.

GPR-A wrote:If you want to beat the current champion team and be the champion, you have to raise to the benchmarks set from the champion team and then, surpass it. Mercedes has been impeccable in their Winter Testing operations management for almost 7 years now. They haven't been the team that has generally had a bad outing in a Winter Testing.

They brought a virgin PU out in 2014 Winter testing and it just ran seamlessly, not just on their own car, but importantly, on their customer's cars too.

If the quest is to be champion, McLaren-Honda have to raise their game and come prepared on every single aspect of Winter Testing. They may not become champion this year or next, but such apathy in getting ready for a season doesn't inspire confidence in anyone that, they are on track to be champions any sooner.

I see a few fellows around the forums saying, this is just testing; just the first day; better to have failures now than later; You can't find all the faults on dyno etc., Seriously? Do you ever ask, how is that Mercedes is managing such flawless Winter Testing for ages now? Do you realize that these teams possess ultra expensive, state of the art infrastructure?

If you haven't proactively thought about such problems and figured out solutions for such simple issues, you don't deserve to be a champion ever.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

RS200E

No one from Red Bull should be taking the piss out of another team livery. Theirs has been the worst for years.

torpor wrote:Christian Horner on the 2017 cars: "Apart from the McLaren colour scheme everything else looks great. Ron must be going mad!"

GPR-A duplicate2

ALO_Power wrote:Too much bashing for nothing. I will remind you that Mercedes started the development of this P.U , 4 years before 2014 (also rumored even earlier).
Yeah, since the dinosaurs existed on the planet. Go check your facts first. The engine regulations were finalized only in June 2012 and before that there was bargain going between 2.4 litres and 1.6 litre engines and between single turbo and double turbo. It was impossible for anyone to finalize the architecture before the finalization of the configuration. There was an interview of Andy Cowell, who has mentioned that, when the regulations were finalized for having a turbo charged engine, Mercedes High Performance Engine division had no idea of turbo engines and a limited knowledge was available in Mercedes Truck manufacturing division.

Besides, by 2011, after complete thrashing, there was tremendous pressure on Daimler to pull the plug off the F1 program from their share holders. Brawn managed to convince them to put money in it and wait until 2014 and then decide, for which they obliged. No one saw what was to come for 2014 as they continued their struggle as a race team in 2012.

Remember, it was Ferrari who badly wanted the regulation changes for 2014 as they were unable to beat Red Bull in aerodynamics. They got the regulations more aligned to mechanical side and with a new PU. What happened?

On the other hand, Honda had their hands on the class leading PU of 2014 that McLaren was using, for one full year in 2014 while they were constructing their PU, free of token headache. What did they learn?
ALO_Power wrote:Plus Mercedes had so many cars to get data from (customer teams). But, the car was breaking down too in 2014. You forgot ? They had so many DNFs in 2014 through the season.
Don't get confused. I am only being specific to Winter Testing. In the motorsport history, no one ever had a race season without failures. There is no example of that ever.
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 27 Feb 2017, 19:02, edited 2 times in total.

epo
epo

RS200E wrote:No one from Red Bull should be taking the piss out of another team livery. Theirs has been the worst for years.

torpor wrote:Christian Horner on the 2017 cars: "Apart from the McLaren colour scheme everything else looks great. Ron must be going mad!"
Your a fan and will always find it the most beautiful car. TBH the livery is by far the ugliest, sorry.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

GPR-A wrote:
ALO_Power wrote:Too much bashing for nothing. I will remind you that Mercedes started the development of this P.U , 4 years before 2014 (also rumored even earlier).
Yeah, since the dinosaurs existed on the planet. Go check your facts first. The engine regulations were finalized only in June 2012 and before that there was bargain going between 2.4 litres and 1.6 litre engines. It was impossible for anyone to finalize the architecture before the finalization of the configuration. Remember, it was Ferrari who badly wanted the regulation changes for 2014 as they were unable to beat Red Bull in aerodynamics. They got the regulations more aligned to mechanical side and with a new PU. What happened?

On the other hand, Honda had their hands on the class leading PU of 2014 that McLaren was using, for one full year in 2014 while they were constructing their PU, free of token headache. What did they learn?
ALO_Power wrote:Plus Mercedes had so many cars to get data from (customer teams). But, the car was breaking down too in 2014. You forgot ? They had so many DNFs in 2014 through the season.
Don't get confused. I am only being specific to Winter Testing. In the motorsport history, no one ever had a race season without failures. There is no example of that ever.
Mercedes started earlier than anyone and used huge manpower for that. I think they confirmed this themselves but anyway. Of course they did a stellar job but you can't say who's worth to win and who's not. They all want to win and try to do anything in their power. As for the claim that in 2014 Honda had access to Merc P.U that's completely wrong. Mercedes knew that McLaren would switch to Honda and shared minimum information with them. In a level that they couldn't integrate it with the chassis as they wanted. And if I'm correct, Mercedes had a special team to work for McLaren's P.U in 2014 just not to let them access much info.

Now if you can have a problem-free season, you can see it's possible as Mercedes almost did in 2016. (apart from Hamilton's DNF in Malaysia). So, in my opinion I pray for problems to show now than later... I'm really confident for a good season. The engine shows good signs and in my opinion the car looks awesome. (and yes, after seeing actual on track images I fell in love with the livery despite I was a bit meh when I saw the launch images. :mrgreen: ) Btw, everyone that will be able to match or win the Mercs (in P.U) will deserve everything if you consider the huge progress and and empire Merc has created all of this year with it and getting everything right.

proteus

epo wrote:
RS200E wrote:No one from Red Bull should be taking the piss out of another team livery. Theirs has been the worst for years.

Your a fan and will always find it the most beautiful car. TBH the livery is by far the ugliest, sorry.
If he is a fanatical fan, than you must be a fanatical hater right?

The livery looks very nice, but there will allways be some people trashing it due to some reason. Fine with me, i like the livery and i only smile when people trash it. Youre problem.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

bauc

End of today with total tally of 29 laps. As per AMus, fix for the fuel tank issue is expected by tomorrow so hopefully we will see the mcl32 more tomorrow
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

RS200E

Wrong. The McLaren looks really good, very clean livery with a great historic colour.

Red Bull will always look horrible as long as they have that crappy logo and random yellow bits.

epo wrote:

McL-H
McL-H

RS200E wrote:Wrong. The McLaren looks really good, very clean livery with a great historic colour.

Red Bull will always look horrible as long as they have that crappy logo and random yellow bits.

epo wrote:

To be honest, Red Bull has been having the best livery on the grid for years. Especially the one of last year and this year looks fantastic. I like McLaren's orange too, but there are definitely better liveries imo, and RBR has one of them.

GrayGreat
GrayGreat

McLaren should pack up and go home because someone said that a team that produces unreliable cars doesn't deserve to win championship ever. Their crystal ball has told them that McLaren can never improve their car =D>

I guess Mercedes didn't deserve to win championships either since they produced mediocre cars in '10 '11 and '12. Pity they stayed and look what happened. And you should remember that Mercedes PU was best at that time, yet they produced mediocre chassis three years in a row. And now an oil leak happens and McLaren doesn't deserve to win. :roll:

Alonso Fan

See what I said about emotion earlier? Fans flipping at the slightest of problem. Next thing we know we'll get 100+ laps tomorrow ( I hope!!) and fans will be crowning Alonso 2017 drivers champion.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

McL-H
McL-H

Alonso Fan wrote:See what I said about emotion earlier? Fans flipping at the slightest of problem. Next thing we know we'll get 100+ laps tomorrow ( I hope!!) and fans will be crowning Alonso 2017 drivers champion.
I'd be crowning Vandoorne champion in that case. But fair point! :lol:

RS200E

Laughable. But I'm not laughing.

McL-H wrote:
RS200E wrote:Wrong. The McLaren looks really good, very clean livery with a great historic colour.

epo wrote:
To be honest, Red Bull has been having the best livery on the grid for years. Especially the one of last year and this year looks fantastic. I like McLaren's orange too, but there are definitely better liveries imo, and RBR has one of them.