Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

foxmulder_ms wrote:
morefirejules08 wrote:
bucker wrote:
FIA please limit wheelbase dimesion. Short wheelbase car looks amazing!
I for one prefer the longer wheelbase, I think it looks more elegant and less like it's already had a shunt up the derriere

Agree, Longer is Better.
That's what she said ...

continuum16

According to Costa:
"The car in essence from now until Melbourne will change all the aerodynamic surface."
Oh boy.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

TalnoRacing

From this angle it appears as if their diffuser has a very aggressive step where it joins the flat floor, and then the roof of the diffuser appears horizontal.

PhillipM
PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:What does EQ Power+ mean?
It means the marketing men have a combined mental age of about 6.

neilbah
neilbah

matt_s wrote:Given those dimensions, a much longer wing would seemingly be permissible.
we saw Williams in testing at Dubai with what looked like one of the 90s monaco rear wings, is that what your implying?

motobaleno

n_anirudh wrote:
3.8.3 No bodywork between the rear wheel centre line and a line 400mm forward of the rear wheel
centre line, which is more than 375mm from the car centre line, may be more than 300mm
above the reference plane.
I guess the T wing is permitted..if I am not mistaken.
Maybe it's that I don't perfectly read this bureaucratic english but
how do you see it as legal?...the t wing is more than 300 mm above the refence plane...isnt'it?

Leon
Leon

godlameroso wrote:What does EQ Power+ mean?
What’s in a name?

Today’s launch is not just the premiere of a new car – it also marks the global debut of a new technology label throughout the model range of Mercedes-AMG and Mercedes-Benz.

At the 2016 Paris Motor Show, Mercedes-Benz unveiled its new product brand for electric mobility: EQ. The name EQ stands for “Electric Intelligence” and is derived from the Mercedes-Benz brand values of “Emotion and Intelligence”. EQ aims to make electric mobility simple, comfortable, safe and accessible for everybody.

From the forthcoming facelift of the S-Class, all future Mercedes-Benz Plug-In Hybrids will carry the designation “EQ Power”.

And the launch of the F1 W08 EQ Power+ makes the new F1 car the first Mercedes-AMG Hybrid to receive the “EQ Power+” designation, which will be used on all future Mercedes-AMG performance hybrids.

The new model designation has been translated graphically into the livery of the new W08, with an electric blue visual representation of the airflow across the car running from the front wing to trailing edge of the sidepods. This distinctive signature derives from the electro-look of the Concept EQ unveiled last year.

https://www.mercedesamgf1.com/en/merced ... ch-f1-w08/
Last edited by Leon on 23 Feb 2017, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
"Clouds now and again
give a soul some respite from
moon-gazing-behold."

Matsuo Basho

dans79

motobaleno wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:
3.8.3 No bodywork between the rear wheel centre line and a line 400mm forward of the rear wheel
centre line, which is more than 375mm from the car centre line, may be more than 300mm
how do you see it as legal?...the t wing is more than 300 mm above the refence plane...isnt'it?
The rule says if it's more than 400mm in-front of the rear wheel center-line, it's not constrained by the box.
197 104 103 7

motobaleno

dans79 wrote:
motobaleno wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:
The rule says if it's more than 400mm in-front of the rear wheel center-line, it's not constrained by the box.
why "more"? the rule says "BETWEEN the rear wheel center line and a line 400mm forward... " :?:

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

which is more than 375mm from the car centre line

...so outside this zone cant be higher

Also
Width ahead of the rear wheel centre line :
3.4.1 Bodywork width between the front and the rear wheel centre lines must not exceed 1600mm.
3.4.2 In order to prevent tyre damage to other cars, any bodywork outboard of the most inboard
part of the bodywork used to define the area required by Article 3.7.4, and which is more than
450mm ahead of the front wheel centre line, must be at least 10mm thick (being the
minimum distance when measured normal to the surface in any direction) with a 5mm radius
applied to all extremities.
In addition, the leading 30mm of this bodywork must be of prescribed laminate, details of this
laminate may be found in the Appendix to the Technical Regulations.
3.4.3 In order to avoid the spread of debris on the track following an accident, the outer skins of the
front wing endplates and any turning vanes in the vicinity of the front wheels (and any
similarly vulnerable bodywork parts in this area), must be made predominantly from materials
which are included for the specific purpose of containing debris.
The FIA must be satisfied that all such parts are constructed in order to achieve the stated
objective.
No part of the bodywork may be more than 950mm above the reference plane.
Maybe it is just below 950mm?
Last edited by n_anirudh on 23 Feb 2017, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

dans79 wrote: The rule says if it's more than 400mm in-front of the rear wheel center-line, it's not constrained by the box.
SO if the second wing is 400 in front of the rear wheel center line, it is allowed?

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Probably yes, and also wings on the shark fin

dans79

motobaleno wrote: why "more"? the rule says "BETWEEN the rear wheel center line and a line 400mm forward... " :?:

Read it like this:

1) is the part between the rear wheel center-line and an imaginary line 400mm in-front of it.
2) is it more than 375mm from the cars center line.

If the answer to both questions is yes, then the part can be no more than 300mm above the reference plane.

If you move the part in-front of the 400mm imaginary line, then the answer to question 1 is no, and thus the 300mm constraint no longer applies.
197 104 103 7

dans79

FW17 wrote:
dans79 wrote: The rule says if it's more than 400mm in-front of the rear wheel center-line, it's not constrained by the box.
SO if the second wing is 400 in front of the rear wheel center line, it is allowed?
Yes, that's how I read that rule. However, you have to make sure you don't violate any other rules.
197 104 103 7

matt_s
matt_s

motobaleno wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:
Yes, but it is less than 750mm wide. (375mm from the car centre line)

My reading of the regs is that anything between the rear axle and 400mm in front of the axle cannot be more than 750mm wide if it is more than 300mm above the reference plane (reference plane is basically the plank).

And nothing can be more than 950mm above the plane.