Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
popovic94

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W08 EQ Power +

Some crazy assumption here, is it posible that Mercedes didnt want to change wining combination of W07 and because of rules that changed width of car they just used "scalle" on W08 and thats how they got longer wheelbase, yes they got a lot of new winglets and stuff but basic shape is same. Flow structure should be the same on car that is scaled 1, 0.8 or 0.5 if i understand corectly, because of that wind tunnel testing is always with model that is scale version of real car.
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

popovic94 wrote:Some crazy assumption here, is it posible that Mercedes didnt want to change wining combination of W07 and because of rules that changed width of car they just used "scalle" on W08 and thats how they got longer wheelbase, yes they got a lot of new winglets and stuff but basic shape is same. Flow structure should be the same on car that is scaled 1, 0.8 or 0.5 if i understand corectly, because of that wind tunnel testing is always with model that is scale version of real car.
If what is said in the car dimension thread is true: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25999

Then the wheelbase increased by 7% but the overall width increased by 11%. Although, even if the percentages matched they most certainly did not just scale the car up!

popovic94

3jawchuck wrote:
popovic94 wrote:Some crazy assumption here, is it posible that Mercedes didnt want to change wining combination of W07 and because of rules that changed width of car they just used "scalle" on W08 and thats how they got longer wheelbase, yes they got a lot of new winglets and stuff but basic shape is same. Flow structure should be the same on car that is scaled 1, 0.8 or 0.5 if i understand corectly, because of that wind tunnel testing is always with model that is scale version of real car.
If what is said in the car dimension thread is true: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25999

Then the wheelbase increased by 7% but the overall width increased by 11%. Although, even if the percentages matched they most certainly did not just scale the car up!
You are probably right, i didnt run the numbers, this was like I said just crazy assumption while i was thinking why have they done that :-)
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna

Vanja #66

popovic94 wrote:Flow structure should be the same on car that is scaled 1, 0.8 or 0.5 if i understand corectly, because of that wind tunnel testing is always with model that is scale version of real car.
For this to be true you would need to match at least Reynolds numbers in wind tunnel and on track. This roughly means you can compare data for 60% model with the car going on track at 60% of the speed from wind tunnel (to keep it simple). Your idea isn't bad at all, after you dominate like no one has for 3 years with one design you wouldn't want to radically change everything and risk biting more than you can chew. Right?! However, with aero changes as extensive as they are in 2017 your assumption probably isn't 100% correct. :) There definitely seem to be some big changes in airflow around barge boards and in front of sidepod inlets, even on Mercedes.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

You seem to have a lot of aero knowledge vanja.

At the horns below. I can see a little red sensor poking out of the slit.

It makes me wonder if the slits was just a quick way to poke the sensor through or if they were designed for more a sinister reason like intenionally weaking the structure allowing the horn to bend.

๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

popovic94

Vanja #66 wrote:
popovic94 wrote:Flow structure should be the same on car that is scaled 1, 0.8 or 0.5 if i understand corectly, because of that wind tunnel testing is always with model that is scale version of real car.
For this to be true you would need to match at least Reynolds numbers in wind tunnel and on track. This roughly means you can compare data for 60% model with the car going on track at 60% of the speed from wind tunnel (to keep it simple). Your idea isn't bad at all, after you dominate like no one has for 3 years with one design you wouldn't want to radically change everything and risk biting more than you can chew. Right?! However, with aero changes as extensive as they are in 2017 your assumption probably isn't 100% correct. :) There definitely seem to be some big changes in airflow around barge boards and in front of sidepod inlets, even on Mercedes.
I was thinking exactly that.
Pokazujes znanje iz mehanike fluida ovim strendzerima? :-D

Vanja #66

PlatinumZealot wrote:At the horns below. I can see a little red sensor poking out of the slit.

It makes me wonder if the slits was just a quick way to poke the sensor through or if they were designed for more a sinister reason like intenionally weaking the structure allowing the horn to bend.
Honestly, no idea. When they did aero rake runs, they took these horns off so they can't be some silver bullet. But that's not how Mercedes does things, isn't it? :) My best guess is that those slots are some vortex generators, if not just simple slots for easier sensor placement. As for weakening the structure, I doubt it, that's not the place to do it to make them move up or down (or any other way I think)...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

Somebody in the Williams thread said the red thing is a motion tracker...
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

PhillipM
PhillipM

The more I look at the picture zoomed in the more I think it's just a reflection on a machining mark from the same red light that's reflecting down the front of the strake and bargeboards.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

PhillipM wrote:The more I look at the picture zoomed in the more I think it's just a reflection on a machining mark from the same red light that's reflecting down the front of the strake and bargeboards.
Then how about "reflection" on the second photo where the red point in that place is visible?

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Right-Click for larger image..
I took a load of shots while at testing last week.

MercAMGF1Fans
MercAMGF1Fans

Turn 10 afternoon (3rd day)... cooling vents

DRS flap open...

PhillipM
PhillipM

Yurasyk wrote: Then how about "reflection" on the second photo where the red point in that place is visible?
It's not high enough resolution for me to see tbh, although I concede there's a single red pixel there, but there isn't on the photo above. I'll have a look back through the other pictures.

hixaxon
hixaxon

Vanja #66 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:At the horns below. I can see a little red sensor poking out of the slit.

Honestly, no idea. When they did aero rake runs, they took these horns off so they can't be some silver bullet. But that's not how Mercedes does things, isn't it? :) My best guess is that those slots are some vortex generators, if not just simple slots for easier sensor placement. As for weakening the structure, I doubt it, that's not the place to do it to make them move up or down (or any other way I think)...
I thought that those slots are there to be compliant with the "looking at the floor from bottom" rule. It should cover everything and the floor has slits at those places.

F1Krof

Some high quality pics. RIGHT CLICK for zoom

FRONT WING

Wroom wroom