Williams FW40 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Williams FW40 Mercedes

edu2703 wrote: As has been said before, the flat top shark fin suggests Williams might be going to run a chimney type air exit the same as Merc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5wmlYMXMAEVuHf.jpg:large
No it doesn't.

This plate on top of the fin was something that was ran by Toyota before on their 2009 car, and I believe their 2008 car as well.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

edu2703 wrote:
Mattchu wrote:Are Williams the only ones using a flat top shark fin? I can`t recall seeing any others with a flat surface going back from the air intake/roll hoop.
Seems they are using vents (side of the drivers head) on one side only as well. Hopefully this car when fully spec`d up gives the others a run for their money on high speed circuits...
As has been said before, the flat top shark fin suggests Williams might be going to run a chimney type air exit the same as Merc.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5wmlYMXMAEVuHf.jpg:large
Unlikely at this stage. The strake on top is not some sort of bodywork to close off a vent given the fin below is outright flat. The strake is nothing more than a flow conditioner.

That does not mean they are not going to run such a solution. There is simply no connection between the strake and the probability of a chimney getting installed there.
#AeroFrodo

Mattchu

I`m not so sure either way. Looking at the highlighted section in the pic below the fin looks like it may be slightly fatter up to a certain point and could be for some type of chimney. It could just be the light playing tricks though.
Iv`e being trying to correlate between the position of the Merc chimney and this possible bulged area but haven`t really come to any conclusion as the shark fins are pretty different.
To me it looks like the slightly bulged area on the Williams finishes about 2 foot back from the roll hoop which looks slightly less than the Merc which i`d put at ~2½ feet, also it`s obviously not as wide...We`ll see in a few days hopefully, maybe Williams are waiting for legal clarification from the FIA [ref: Mercedes] before going ahead.

roadie

My best guess is that it is for flow conditioning or stiffness.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

roadie wrote:My best guess is that it is for flow conditioning or stiffness.
I would say both: flow conditioning and stiffness!

Morteza

The part about FW40 starts at 5:16

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

mikhak
mikhak

LookBackTime wrote:
"Flow conditioning"? what does that mean?

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

mikhak wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:
You can start with this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_conditioning

and use Google to search for : "Flow conditioning"

mikhak
mikhak

LookBackTime wrote:
mikhak wrote:

Thanks, so helpful. But it's a little general.
How do you think the strake on top works to condition the flow?

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

mikhak wrote:
LookBackTime wrote:
mikhak wrote:

Thanks, so helpful. But it's a little general.
How do you think the strake on top works to condition the flow?
It tries to smooth the turbulent air coming from the front of the car and/or sideways of the car.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

wesley123
wesley123

Mattchu wrote:I`m not so sure either way. Looking at the highlighted section in the pic below the fin looks like it may be slightly fatter up to a certain point and could be for some type of chimney. It could just be the light playing tricks though.
Iv`e being trying to correlate between the position of the Merc chimney and this possible bulged area but haven`t really come to any conclusion as the shark fins are pretty different.
To me it looks like the slightly bulged area on the Williams finishes about 2 foot back from the roll hoop which looks slightly less than the Merc which i`d put at ~2½ feet, also it`s obviously not as wide...We`ll see in a few days hopefully, maybe Williams are waiting for legal clarification from the FIA [ref: Mercedes] before going ahead.

https://s3.postimg.org/5rdarr0j7/will.png
Legal clarification for what?

The fin is of constant thickness, the bump you might be seeing is a reflection.

Its function is aerodynamic, and I doubt it for being structural as the plate is not far back enough
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

matt_s
matt_s

Yeah. Now Merc have shown a chimney, there's no reason not to try one if you have it. Even if there may be potential legality concerns, they would run the parts to correlate their CFD data to ascertain if it was a worthwhile avenue to pursue.

Mattchu

wesley123 wrote: Legal clarification for what?

The fin is of constant thickness, the bump you might be seeing is a reflection.

Its function is aerodynamic, and I doubt it for being structural as the plate is not far back enough
I think it`s thicker in that area, here`s another picture. If it was a reflection, what is it off being so straight? Also when you look at the top wing the lip to the vertical side of the fin decreases ~15cm in from the back (picture 2)
Like i said i`m not sure either way and it could (as has been mentioned) be for structural rigidity or some sort of flow conditioning, if its their at all!