Sauber C36 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
henry

Re: Sauber C36 Ferrari

Scuderia1967 wrote:
henry wrote:Looking at the rear wing it looks more like a bi-plane than last year's. What was a slot gap is now very large.

Maybe that is with DRS open. In which case the top element will be virtually perpendicular when closed.
That's just an optical illusion due to the unpainted carbon fibre
So it is. Thanks!
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

timekiller001
timekiller001

So am I the only one who actually likes the shark fins? I liked them back when they already used them and I like this one as well, although I don't like they tried to hide it here with a black livery.
IMHO the proper shark fins look a lot better than the "half assed" ones from the new Williams and other cars as well, such as the Mercs.

flickerf1
flickerf1

I like them, too.
The Wicked + The Divine.

f1316
f1316

timekiller001 wrote:So am I the only one who actually likes the shark fins? I liked them back when they already used them and I like this one as well, although I don't like they tried to hide it here with a black livery.
IMHO the proper shark fins look a lot better than the "half assed" ones from the new Williams and other cars as well, such as the Mercs.
Yeah, I also like them - and the look of the car in general is nice. It's not a revolution in terms of how the cars look but some really positive tweaks that add up to a much more aesthetically pleasing finished product.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the floor ahead of the tyres. In addition to the now customary array of tyre squirt slots (conspicuously absent from the placeholder Williams) there are some interesting vains, one of which seems to want to move some the air outside the rear tyre, which seems surprising.

Overall cool looking car though, I think. Can't wait to see more of them.

Formula Wrong

Weren't those cameras on the nose-cone banned for this season? Or are we just seeing the old 2016 nose?
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

timbo
timbo

I thought that tea-tray was shortened for this year. Doesn't look much shorter on C36.

the EDGE
the EDGE

f1316 wrote:
timekiller001 wrote:So am I the only one who actually likes the shark fins? I liked them back when they already used them and I like this one as well, although I don't like they tried to hide it here with a black livery.
Yeah, I also like them - and the look of the car in general is nice. It's not a revolution in terms of how the cars look but some really positive tweaks that add up to a much more aesthetically pleasing finished product.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the floor ahead of the tyres. In addition to the now customary array of tyre squirt slots (conspicuously absent from the placeholder Williams) there are some interesting vains, one of which seems to want to move some the air outside the rear tyre, which seems surprising.

Overall cool looking car though, I think. Can't wait to see more of them.
When comparing to the FW40, I noticed a philosophy difference between the 2 cars with where the barge board connects to the floor, Williams have the part of the floor at the edge that sticks forward (does this have a name?) going through the barge board whereas Sauber seem to have connected it to the tip of the sticky-out part of the floor. Small details I know, but the devil is in the detail

Cuky

Formula Wrong wrote:Weren't those cameras on the nose-cone banned for this season? Or are we just seeing the old 2016 nose?
Cameras weren't banned, just their position is being more tightly regulated than before. We won't be seing camera mounts like RB, Mercedes and Ferrari had last year for example

roon
roon

They have the rear pullrod almost entirely within the bodywork. The repositioned rear wing is providing more of a swan-neck type support than was previously possible. The square-front sidepods are interesting—a compromise, or intentional? A stagnant zone right above the floor edge is going to have some influence there.
Last edited by roon on 20 Feb 2017, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1
GoranF1

flickerf1 wrote:I like them, too.
+1
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

trinidefender
trinidefender

Correct me if I'm wrong but concerning the blade intake systems, I was under the impression that they were banned for safety reasons and not phased out because of any performance disadvantage. I was under the impression that it was discovered that in a rollover that the blade roll hoop can dig into the ground causing the car to violently roll more or pitch into the air.

The cameras on the nose will be there, it is the stalks that the cameras sat on that were banned.

Sevach
Sevach

WaikeCU

I don't really like that sharkfin on the back. To me it kills the natural curves of a true F1 car. can someone photoshop and delete that sharkfin just to show us how that would look like. It would look more natural to me.

continuum16

WaikeCU wrote:I don't really like that sharkfin on the back. To me it kills the natural curves of a true F1 car. can someone photoshop and delete that sharkfin just to show us how that would look like. It would look more natural to me.

Without the fin it looks like this.

Besides, the car looks quite good, lots of little details, especially on the brake ducts.
Last edited by continuum16 on 20 Feb 2017, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

arahman_93
arahman_93

I like what they’ve done with the livery the blue and gold the white ruins it a bit. As far as the sharkfin they should add the driver’s numbers diagonally (not talking about the harry potter place :lol: ).