Come sail away

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMrocks
McMrocks

Re: Come sail away

We will never get the proof for it but maybe the bigger floors would increase the likelyhood of cars going sideways flipping over and the shark fins unintendedly prevent that

bhall II
bhall II

Proof is unnecessary. If forces that would cause rotation are opposed by aerodynamic forces acting against a plate, rotation is less likely to occur.

That said, a positive outcome is not guaranteed...

krisfx
krisfx

Cuky wrote:I hope fins are there to stay actually. If it was my decision I would make them mandatory with same size and shape for every team. And as a cherry on the top of the cake I would mandate that large drivers' numbers must be place on them

Like this?

I like the idea of it. The best bit is the "It just looks like an advertising billboard" - isn't that the whole point of the car?

Cuky

something like that yeah. But maybe now when drivers use their choosen numbers for duration of their career I would just put up their numbers in larger font

ajprice
ajprice

So like this

McMrocks
McMrocks

bhall II wrote:Proof is unnecessary. If forces that would cause rotation are opposed by aerodynamic forces acting against a plate, rotation is less likely to occur.

That said, a positive outcome is not guaranteed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s34NIHK-UQ
Or in this case: Aerodynamic forces on the fin acting the same way as the rotation

Holm86

bhall II wrote:Ever heard of unintended consequences?
You can't compare the two formulaes, because a WEC car has wheelarches which can cause lift when the car is at an angle to wind direction. Thats why they have the huge holes in top of the arches now as well.
I dont recall an accident where an F1 car had sideways lift.

I don't like the sharkfins, not so much because I think they are ugly, because I actually dont, but because the sloping backbone of the engine cover is one of the most sexy part on an F1 car IMO :D And the sharkfin ruins this ...

bhall II
bhall II

Does anyone think anymore? Or are we limited solely to knee-jerk reactions?

Holm86

bhall II wrote:Does anyone think anymore? Or are we limited solely to knee-jerk reactions?
So why are they not mandatory???

bhall II
bhall II

Total non sequitur. Why aren't airbags mandatory?

C'mon, I know for a fact that you can figure this out. :)

Holm86

But seriously, why are ALL teams sporting a sharkfin this year? Except Mercedes, but they did say they were going to test it.

Is it an area there was overlooked in the new regulations? Why was no-one having these fins last year, are they better suited for the new regs or what?

nmoleiro
nmoleiro

I have read that it was always allowed in the regulations but this year the rear wing is lower.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

roon
roon

Correct, the regs did not change in this area. It is something to do with the other parts changing, which made it desireable for some teams to bring it back.

TAG

https://twitter.com/tgruener/status/821750586165133313 Despite opinions, this was a blurb back in January from Tobi Grüner so who knows the ilk we could have been spared, we've yet to see.

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

strad

I think it makes them dangerously sensitive to crosswinds
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss