Silly Season 2017/2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
marmer
marmer

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

When you have all the money you could ever spend many times over at the end of the days it's a will to be the best that keeps you going. Ham will stop as soon as he no longer wants it. I suspect he wants a couple more records before he goes he is still short on total wins and wins in a season plus championships so he could stick around for awhile longer. The only thing I can see getting in the way is if he gets a bad car he might decide on 1 bad season enough is enough for example I don't think if he was Alonso's age he would have kept going at McLaren. But he has already got more titles so less reason to stick around

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

f1universe
f1universe

Alonso again in Ferrari will be amazing, they had so many epic races and moments when he was there. I always thought Alonso was perfect for Ferrari. Is not going to happen anyway with Vettel there.

PlatinumZealot

If Vettel's ego grows as big a Alonso's was at Ferrari.. they might see him as a political disruption as Alonso was, and bring in a new driver to bring him back down to earth. It is ironic that Vettel was the driver that was going to be brought in by Monty to remind Alonso that he is only just the driver. To fans' disappointment it ended up that, monty didn't get to pull the trigger because Alonso left then Vettel took his place. Now that Vettel is the lead driver, it remains to be seen if he will try to step above his position in the team. I don't see it in him though. He is one of the more political drivers but I don't see him as a usurper.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Alonsofor2017
Alonsofor2017

If Ferrari win the drivers but not the constructors they will realise they need a safe pair of hands to replace raikonnen, now who do they pick, if red bull improve during the year, which is looking likely, then Riccardo and verstappen stay put, this leaves three viable choices for Ferrari, Alonso, Perez or sainz, sainz is very talented but has been shown to make costly driver errors recently, Perez is possible but is he that much of an improvement on raikkonen, Alonso would be the best choice, he is probably the most consistent driver on the grid and he's worked with them before, he would also bring a lot of marketability and popularity to replace raikkonens large amounts, the problem with this is vettel and Alonso clashing but this can be mostly prevented with good management, if you look at history the one team that has always hired too big players the most is Ferrari

adrianjordan

Alonsofor2017 wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 06:10
If Ferrari win the drivers but not the constructors they will realise they need a safe pair of hands to replace raikonnen, now who do they pick, if red bull improve during the year, which is looking likely, then Riccardo and verstappen stay put, this leaves three viable choices for Ferrari, Alonso, Perez or sainz, sainz is very talented but has been shown to make costly driver errors recently, Perez is possible but is he that much of an improvement on raikkonen, Alonso would be the best choice, he is probably the most consistent driver on the grid and he's worked with them before, he would also bring a lot of marketability and popularity to replace raikkonens large amounts, the problem with this is vettel and Alonso clashing but this can be mostly prevented with good management, if you look at history the one team that has always hired too big players the most is Ferrari
It's not just how big a player they are though, it's how they approach racing. I can't remember Ferrari ever having a Senna-Prost, Hamilton-Alonso or Alonso-Vettel type pairing where both are strong personalities as well as WDC contenders...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

f1universe wrote:
29 Jun 2017, 17:18
Alonso again in Ferrari will be amazing, they had so many epic races and moments when he was there. I always thought Alonso was perfect for Ferrari. Is not going to happen anyway with Vettel there.
It will never happen. Alonso should eat all the words said about Ferrari. I don´t see this happening.

But well, I thought the same after 2006 and see what happen in 2010. #-o

adrianjordan

Vasconia wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 10:32
f1universe wrote:
It will never happen. Alonso should eat all the words said about Ferrari. I don´t see this happening.

Or 2015 after 2007....seems Alonso is a big enough talent to make people let bygones be bygones!!

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vasconia

adrianjordan wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 10:35
Vasconia wrote:
f1universe wrote:

Or 2015 after 2007....seems Alonso is a big enough talent to make people let bygones be bygones!!
Expect the unexpected with Alonso. :mrgreen:

But, I still think that Alonso has only two options, stay in Mclare nor leave F1. If the Mercedes options becomes real I would be more than surprised.

Alonsofor2017
Alonsofor2017

adrianjordan wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 10:27
Alonsofor2017 wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 06:10
It's not just how big a player they are though, it's how they approach racing. I can't remember Ferrari ever having a Senna-Prost, Hamilton-Alonso or Alonso-Vettel type pairing where both are strong personalities as well as WDC contenders...
Prost mansell
Raikonnen massa
Alonso raikonnen
Villenauve lauda

Alonso vettel doesn't seem that far from these, maybe not as clashing personalities you have a point but then Ferrari do not have much of a choice at the moment for a recognised safe pair of hands

adrianjordan

See I wouldn't include Raikonnen based pairings as Kimi is so laid back that he just gets on with driving the car and doesn't (at least seem to) care what goes on with the other guy...

I had forgotten about the others as I was either not born or very, very young....I was only 12 when Senna died....it's one of my earliest memories..!!

f1universe
f1universe

adrianjordan wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
f1universe wrote:

What he said in 2006 wasn't that bad, it was an intense battle with Schumi/Ferrari and the FIA clearly took sides with Ferrari because they wanted Schumi to win another title before retirement. Everyone at Renault had intense feelings against Ferrari. Afterwards he always has been very grateful for his time at Ferrari.

I think he is going to retire anyway, he is talking like he has some options, maybe he has them if certain conditions are met (Lewis retires....), but is Reanult or McLaren and Renault is not a guarantee of anything right now and he said he is not willing to take more gambles. We will see.

Vasconia

f1universe wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 14:26
adrianjordan wrote:
Vasconia wrote:

What he said in 2006 wasn't that bad, it was an intense battle with Schumi/Ferrari and the FIA clearly took sides with Ferrari because they wanted Schumi to win another title before retirement. Everyone at Renault had intense feelings against Ferrari. Afterwards he always has been very grateful for his time at Ferrari.

I think he is going to retire anyway, he is talking like he has some options, maybe he has them if certain conditions are met (Lewis retires....), but is Reanult or McLaren and Renault is not a guarantee of anything right now and he said he is not willing to take more gambles. We will see.
He spoke quite badly about Ferrari which led Todt to assure that Alonso "won´t going to be part of this team if its in my hands".

I understand that Italy was fustrating for him and the team but apart from that...

f1universe
f1universe

Vasconia wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 15:54
f1universe wrote:
30 Jun 2017, 14:26
adrianjordan wrote:

He spoke quite badly about Ferrari which led Todt to assure that Alonso "won´t going to be part of this team if its in my hands".

I understand that Italy was fustrating for him and the team but apart from that...
That's not my understanding, Todt grudge against Alonso was because he chose Renault over Ferrari but in any case, that was like a million years ago and Todt is no longer at Ferrari, neither Matiacci or Montezemolo.

Alonso was more than happy with Italy and the team, the problem was the management and their constant promises of a better car.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vasconia

Re: 2017 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team - Ferrari