Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news ... 00-906516/

Alonso tops the charts.
This is gonna be epic.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

HPD

Practice free and live times: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Alonso: "In terms of technology and sophistication, F1 is on another level, so most opportunities will be to use the sophistication with which we are accustomed to piloting here, to introduce it there. I can not say anything else, it's a secret!" :lol:
What could it be? :?:

dans79

Manoah2u wrote:
15 May 2017, 22:18

Alonso tops the charts.
This is gonna be epic.
Just to maintain perspective, he's only topped the rookie segment, he has yet to turn a lap in general testing.
197 104 103 7

dans79

for those who want to follow testing this is where to do it.
http://racecontrol.indycar.com

YouTube live feed at the top of the page, live timing at the bottom.
197 104 103 7

Sonador
Sonador

Manoah2u wrote:
15 May 2017, 22:18

Alonso tops the charts.
This is gonna be epic.
It already is =D>

dans79

Testing times/data for those that are interested.
http://www.imscdn.com/indycar_media/doc ... ce%201.pdf
197 104 103 7

DiogoBrand

Alonso is an incredible driver, I don't think that's latest news, but Indycar is a totally different animal to F1, and the difference from oval to road is even bigger, so I expect him to do well for a rookie but not too much beyond that. He still has 3mph to gain, and the latest are certainly the most difficult, and even if he's the best driver on the circuit, which wouldn't surprise me, his lack of experience will play a big part.
Not only it's a completely different car on a completely different type of circuit, it's also the most extreme race of the series. It would be amazing to see him win, but I don't expect any performance beyond "that's really impressive for a rookie".

One interesting feature I just found out about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndY4F6YUmvU

I mean, we just can't expect a driver to master this sort of thing in two weeks time, when others have several years' experience.

adrianjordan

Didn't Alonso always go well at Indy when the F1 cars races there?? Different circuit I know, but psychologically might still help him...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

mertol

Learning a button for balance plz have you seen a F1 steering wheel?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

HPD wrote:
15 May 2017, 22:23
Practice free and live times: http://racecontrol.indycar.com/
Alonso: "In terms of technology and sophistication, F1 is on another level, so most opportunities will be to use the sophistication with which we are accustomed to piloting here, to introduce it there. I can not say anything else, it's a secret!" :lol:
What could it be? :?:
beer
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

DiogoBrand wrote:
16 May 2017, 07:59
Alonso is an incredible driver, I don't think that's latest news, but Indycar is a totally different animal to F1, and the difference from oval to road is even bigger, so I expect him to do well for a rookie but not too much beyond that. He still has 3mph to gain, and the latest are certainly the most difficult, and even if he's the best driver on the circuit, which wouldn't surprise me, his lack of experience will play a big part.
Not only it's a completely different car on a completely different type of circuit, it's also the most extreme race of the series. It would be amazing to see him win, but I don't expect any performance beyond "that's really impressive for a rookie".

One interesting feature I just found out about:

I mean, we just can't expect a driver to master this sort of thing in two weeks time, when others have several years' experience.
lol, he finished the Spanish GP, did debriefing, did some PR work, had some dinner, did some excersize (standard), boarded a plane to the states, landed, had some sleep, and at 9 sharp he had to step into the AndrettIndyClaren to do the test, which he topped. 3 mph to gain is nothing. As for experience; he has driven on the F1 indy track before, and given, that is different, it's not like it's all completely new territory. He's argued to still be one of the 3 best drivers in the world right now. He's the most experienced F1 driver on the grid right now. He's undoubtedly done plenty of hours of simulation work.

As for the different car, different circuit; we just have stepped from an old design format to a different design format which essentially brings a totally different car than last year.

and 'thats impressive for a rookie'? really, Alonso a rookie? no.

Alonso will do well, very well, of that i'm sure.
It's funny how negative people already are.

Graham hill actually won the indy. i don't get the fuss why it would be so 'impossible' for a multiple WDC who is argualy one of THE best out there not just now, but for decades in F1, a driver that was able to beat Schumacher,
a driver who is still bringing in a dog of a car miles ahead of his teammate.

I can also mention a certain other F1 driver that switched the other way around; coming from Champ Car, Indy, etc. Juan Pablo Montoya. He competed in F1 on the highest level, for the WDC, despite it supposedly being 'so different'. Did fantastic, is one of the legends of F1, and then went back and did great still. Jaques Villeneuve, another one who became a champion in F1, and then went back if i'm correct after a couple of years in f1.

I'm reading a lot of armchair engineers here that have written him off before he's good and sound in a indy car. jeesh. :roll: Why be so sore?

I sincerely hope Alonso will win it. I don't expect it at all, it would be insane if he does it. Realistically speaking, it's not going to happen. He can definately be very far up ahead, but to win on his first inception? I don't know if Graham managed to win it on his first try though, and what were the circumstances. It is possible though.

Hulkenberg won le mans, and i think he's a great driver, but not the calibre of Alonso. Yet he stepped into Le Mans, and won. Yes he has WEC experience. Still, he went from F1 to a le mans Win during a F1 season.
Why then wouldn't Alonso be able to win Indy?

And speaking about that, i'm sure if Alonso is given the proper vehicle, he can win Le Mans just as much as Hulkenberg did.

fenix4life
fenix4life

marmer wrote:
09 May 2017, 10:14
mertol wrote:I have no concerns about his lines and his speed it's just going flat out after all. Drafting and driving in traffic is what might be a challenge IMO.

Imagine his face if he retires with a car problem :D.
Team radio "F1 engine F1 engine (angry raw)"

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
Alone screaming on the radio. Formula one engine !!!! :mrgreen:
I think he will do pretty well. He will still improve after every practice. He just can't risk to see where the limit is and hit the wall. It's difficult to know if there is still meat on the bone.

Don't forget that pole doesn't really say a lot due to constant slipstreaming.

marmer
marmer

Will Alonso's physical condition affect him with his lack of pectoral muscle on his right side with all the turning he will have to do in the same direction

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

ME4ME

I know it's just practise but dear lord its boring to watch.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Lol, for us formula extremists yes, it is. To be frank, i think the race itself also is rather dull, despite it being much more dangerous and difficult than it looks at all.

I loved watching Champ car in the past, must say that a couple of years before this new 'formula' in regards to the body/chassis has been mandated, i've lost interest, and with these new 'bodies', i am completely put down regarding interest.

I used to love those cars, especially the just - as legendary red-white liveried Marlboro Penske's.