Spanish GP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Principessa

The fans are indeed pumped Dave. I saw a picture yesterday from the fans. All Mild Seven blue caps with Alonso on it :P.

I really hope that it will be an exciting race! I think that Alonso will push to the limit (he doesn't have to take his engine to the next race) so he can win in front of 100.000 Spaniards. That would be a goose-bumps moment if Alonso would stand on the highest scaffold this Sunday.

But the competition is hard and everybody wants to take the win instead of Alonso. They all want to beat him on his home soil.

We'll see what happens!

manchild
manchild

DaveKillens wrote:Fisi has to do well, it's that simple. Briatore said he will announce his future lineup after Monaco, and if Fisi doesn't at least assist Alonso to a win, he will be out. He may even be replaced before the season ends.
I agree. He has to finish on podium otherwise Monaco could be his last race (unless Renault gets very pissed and decides to let Heikki try his luck with Monte Carlo streets).

Venom
Venom

I think it's going to be between Ferrari and Renault. It's second GP for Alonso's engine, so there's a bit of disadvantage.

Can someone tell what is the overtaking like here. There's only one long straight as far as I know, and most of the corners are fast.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

jaslfc
jaslfc

i think even if briatore replace fisi before then end of the season i think itll be after monaco.. watever said and done . experience counts alot and they should keep fisi for that race at least.

johny

1 F. Massa Ferrari 1:15.796 4
2 M. Schumacher Ferrari 1:16.099 4
3 A. Wurz Williams 1:16.125 21
4 R. Kubica BMW 1:16.628 21
5 A. Davidson Honda 1:16.961 24
6 R. Doornbos Red Bull 1:17.424 20
7 N. Jani Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:19.720 20
8 G. Mondini Midland F1 1:20.708 21
9 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:20.744 9

looks like bridgestone is also strong here, i hope it's just FP1

Venom
Venom

By comparing Massa's time V8's are kicking ass here.

Johny wait until all other teams do a session, then we'll compare. Either way, I don't think that times from practice are 100% relevant. The teams are just observing the car's performance at not maximum revs etc. And ofcourse, every team sets their maxium performance different for practice.

You can follow the next session (Practice 2) in about 30mins on f1.com live timing.
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Jason

This maybe a stupid question but why are team running Intermediates tyres in dry conditions? :?
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

jaslfc
jaslfc

the track was damp at the beginning of the session...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The vibrating mirror issue has been discussed before, but it appears to have reached a climax within McLaren. We are not privy to what Montoya complains about and his issues, but to see him throw the mirror away from the car right in front of the pits has to be some form of message.
As well, he created a safety issue, something he deserves to be penalized for.

m3_lover

Button's call on the race

BUTTON RULES OUT SPANISH GP WIN
Briton Jenson Button effectively wrote off his Spanish Grand Prix chances on Thursday, saying that his Honda RA106 was unlikely to challenge Renault or McLaren on the aerodynamically demanding Montmelo circuit this weekend but was hopeful that Michelin would allow them to challenge Ferrari.

"It seems that other people have made bigger steps forward than we have and we've been left behind a little bit by Renault and Ferrari I would say at the moment," the Honda driver told reporters at the Circuit de Catalunya.

"I think on a good weekend we'll be close to the McLaren and might even, if the Michelin tyres are working well on the car, get close to Ferrari.

"But I don't think we will get close to the Renaults on a circuit like this."

Champions Renault have won the first three races of the season with Ferrari's Michael Schumacher taking the last two at Imola and the Nuerburgring.

Spain is world champion Fernando Alonso's home race and his Renault team are confident he can win to increase his lead over Schumacher from 13 points.

"This is a circuit where you need very good aerodynamics and the Renault has that, the McLaren has that and the Ferrari has that," said Button, who has only scored one point in Barcelona in five attempts.

He did not race at the circuit last year after BAR, Honda's predecessors, were suspended for two grands prix for weight and fuel infringements.

"I don't think we are going to be any more competitive than we have been in the past few races," added Button. "Just hopefully we will be reliable."

Honda started the season full of confidence after strong testing over the European winter but that optimism swiftly faded with Button making just one appearance on the podium so far - a third place in Malaysia.

Button's engine blew within sight of the finish in Australia and he retired at the Nuerburgring last weekend with another engine failure.

"It was a tough weekend because I really didn't have a setup that I was happy with," he said. "But even so, running in fifth with a car that I wasn't happy with was not so bad really. So to have the issue of the engine was very disappointing.

"We know what the reason is and we've changed that for this race," added the Briton. "So we won't have a problem in this race and we're sure the reliability is going to be good".
http://www.eurosport.com
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Principessa

DaveKillens wrote:The vibrating mirror issue has been discussed before, but it appears to have reached a climax within McLaren. We are not privy to what Montoya complains about and his issues, but to see him throw the mirror away from the car right in front of the pits has to be some form of message.
As well, he created a safety issue, something he deserves to be penalized for.
<b>Juan Pablo Montoya</b> "I merely did an installation lap with my new engine this morning and then a short run this afternoon to evaluate our options for the weekend. My left mirror came loose and I had to pull it off, but no problem. So far so good, and I look forward to the rest of the weekend."

It just came loose apparently! I don't know what happened because we can't watch the free practice sessions here in Belgium :(

FLC
FLC

About montoya and his mirror: I saw on video that he pulled it off with his hand, prob. after it came loose and was vibrating. I agree with dave that it may have created a saftey issue, but isnt there a chance it could go off right into his helmet or shoulder or maybe even his chest?

Tom

Yes, that is a fairly real possibility. These mirrors should really be held on better, the aero losses from slightly bigger stalks are virtually nothing, esspecially when you compare them to the damage it could cause to the driver.

emburmak
emburmak

Ferrari are looking strong! Espercially in the long runs. As for Mclaren enough said! 8)

manchild
manchild

Canadian GP 2003... :wink:
Ralf Schumacher wrote:Also my left rear view mirror broke and it was bothering me as it was even hitting my helmet in some corners.
Juan Pablo Montoya wrote:I had the same problem Ralf had with the rear mirror which broke and was flopping in front of my face and was distracting me