2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SectorOne

Re: 2017 Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, 26-28 May

Amazing how the Ferrari just finds the tire sweet spot so easily.
But even more amazing is how the hell Bottas and his side of the garage managed to get so close after having quite a lot of trouble with the tires throughout Friday and Saturday.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

f1316
f1316

JonoNic wrote: KR:… I don’t know why people expect that it is something different tomorrow... Just try to make a stupid story out of nothing.
Classic Kimi quote :D

iotar__

- So are the quickest laps the most exciting? Out of the top 3 teams only one driver (Bottas) nailed a great lap. Who cares about quality.

- Monaco tradition - Ricciardo complaining about Red Bull.
- How many slow laps they kept showing this weekend? TV coverage of F1 is bad.

Bomber_Pilot

Remember this little guy? :D

PlatinumZealot

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 May 2017, 20:17
Damn I missed all the "lunacy", gotta get here sooner.

Any ideas on the Hamilton setup problems... I heard talk of them not being able to get the tire(the carcass and/or the sidewall) up to temp but at the same time overheating the surface of the rubber. Too much sliding & wheelspin? Too softly sprung? He seemed like he was suffering with too much oversteer during qually. Maybe a broken ARB?
There is something wrong with how how the car maintains heat in the tyres. Haphazard tyre temperstures and what not. Not good for the rest of the season.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12040/ ... g-disaster
"A lot of analysis will go into understanding it, but it is a tyre issue," he told reporters. "I didn't get the grip from the tyres and it kind of transcended from P2. I never got them working as they did in P1 from then on.
"We have to try and get to the bottom of it, but we had a similar problem in Sochi - particularly on my side - but I hope we can discover the issue moving forwards."
Hamilton added: "It's a very, very strange thing because I did the same thing I always do when I leave the garage and the same thing as I did in P1, but it's actually a case of it going in and out, in and out through the lap.
"Mostly being under - and it's not even just the fronts or the rears. It can be one tyre and then another tyre, but in general just all tyres were not in the window."
"You can say there's a certain DNA in our car," said team boss Toto Wolff. "I think we've proved our car can go very quick in qualifying and the race but it seems to be a bit of a diva to get it into the right window.
"It's probably marginal differences that make it drop out of the window and we just need to get on top of this. We have a great team that has shown in the past their strength is in analysing the data and finding out how to put it on the track on Friday and then develop it into the weekend.
"This is one of the outliers we've had in the past. We've had it in Singapore for different reasons but this is another one. It's the second weekend that comes into my mind after three or four years, where we have struggled really badly from the get-go from P2 with set-up."
Hamilton said his W08 was set-up in the same way as Bottas' and, although he does not believe he is doing anything specifically wrong, he is ready to help the team overcome the problems with his car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:29
Remember this little guy? :D

http://www.sportfair.it/wp-content/uplo ... kkonen.jpg
Poor kid. Tears tomorrow after the first lap pile up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:32
If they never got it working in FP1 or if it was't working in BOT's car in Q3 it would be much more understandable but this seems quite baffling.

basti313
basti313

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:40
PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:32
If they never got it working in FP1 or if it was't working in BOT's car in Q3 it would be much more understandable but this seems quite baffling.
I thought Ham was using Bot setup????
If this is the case, then no question why this does not work. They have completely different ways of working the tires. We already saw that in Russia.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ringo

Looks like hamilton will have a rough race from where he is and given his setup problems.
Bottas said the front and rear axles seem to be heating up at different rates. It's possible the issues are related to the suspension setup and also a chance lewis is not heating the tyres correctly.
Or there is some unsolved issue from Sochi.
I'm surprised about the Kimi pole though. Looks like his spatial awareness skills is finally coming to good use.
For Sure!!

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

basti313 wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:52
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
27 May 2017, 21:40
I thought Ham was using Bot setup????
If this is the case, then no question why this does not work. They have completely different ways of working the tires. We already saw that in Russia.
What did you see different between them in Sochi?

matt_b
matt_b

If they have the same set up maybe Bottas is doing something different to Lewis on the out laps / warm up laps? would be interesting to see a side by side comparison.

siskue2005

One question can Lewis start on Super softs and go to the end without any pitstop?
As the mandetory tyre for the race in either Supersofts or Softs

nevill3

siskue2005 wrote:
27 May 2017, 22:24
One question can Lewis start on Super softs and go to the end without any pitstop?
As the mandetory tyre for the race in either Supersofts or Softs
No each driver must use two dry compounds during a dry race, one set must be (one of) the mandatory tyres.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

ringo

He can pit early before a safety car or during the safety car and stay out the whole race.
I think there will be a safety car for this race. We have palmer, verstappen, vandorne and stroll to ensure we get at least two safety cars.
The chance of winning is rather slim. Once the race leader is more than a pitstops time difference up the road, a free pitstop wont be the silver bullet.
One other thing that can happen for lewis to have a chance at the win is a ferrari teammate crash. Something tells me vettel will cause it.
For Sure!!

RZS10

I think when Mercedes (Lauda or Wolff) say that they have the same setup it's probably just the baseline and/or mechanical side, both drivers probably use slightly different settings in the electronics, diffs etc (so the stuff they can change on their steering wheels)

Whether there is/was something wrong with Lewis' car or he just can't get the car to work in certain conditions is something we will probably never be able to answer properly and we have to remember that it happened to Bottas in Bahrain so maybe the car is just a 'diva' with a very narrow soft spot for the setup/settings.