2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Re: 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, 23-25 June

Chuckjr wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 04:24
Meanwhile....Fred is STRUGGLING with his power unit:

"But, during that first session, there was confusion out on track with Ricciardo, who Alonso felt that he must have thought he was on a slow lap.

“[It was] the same with Max [Verstappen] yesterday,” said Alonso.

“I think the start of the lap probably they get confused, because our speed is that slow, that they think probably we go to the pit lane, we are in a slow lap.”

“But no, this is our speed, we are starting a timed lap, is the way it is. I think they get surprised a little bit.

"They overtake me in the first corner, I overtake them in the second corner, and we both lose the laps, yesterday and today.""

Source:
http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _slow8217/
I thought that was hilarious.

Fred should try out stand up comedy if he can't find a good seat next year. He is funny. LOL

GPR-A duplicate2

Link -> AMUS Article
Mercedes faster in turns and on the straights

Lewis Hamilton set a new record for Baku with his time of 1.40.593 minutes and an average speed of 214.834 km / h . It was 2.2 seconds faster than last year. Hamilton took Ferrari in the curving second sector four tenths off and still had 343.0 km / h to 338.9 km / h the better topspeed than the red cars. On Saturday, compared to Ferrari , Mercedes went a step in the direction of more downforce.

Conflict over oil in the gasoline, Mercedes suspected on Ferrari

Nevertheless, Mercedes won time on the fast sectors on Ferrari . That nourished the rumors that Ferrari had to retire with engine power after the FIA ​​had again warned against using oil as an additive to gasoline for combustion. The engineers read from the data and GPS measurements that Ferrari, unlike Montreal, no longer gains time on the straight lines on the silver arrows but loses. And they drew their conclusions from it.
So, that means, Ferrari's qualifying challenge to Mercedes is set to be over!

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
24 Jun 2017, 22:17
Thank you very much, is this available from the pirelli website or something?
It's posted on their twitter feed (@pirellisport) a few hours after qualifying.

wickedz50
wickedz50

GPR-A wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 06:35
Link -> AMUS Article
Mercedes faster in turns and on the straights

Lewis Hamilton set a new record for Baku with his time of 1.40.593 minutes and an average speed of 214.834 km / h . It was 2.2 seconds faster than last year. Hamilton took Ferrari in the curving second sector four tenths off and still had 343.0 km / h to 338.9 km / h the better topspeed than the red cars. On Saturday, compared to Ferrari , Mercedes went a step in the direction of more downforce.

Conflict over oil in the gasoline, Mercedes suspected on Ferrari

Nevertheless, Mercedes won time on the fast sectors on Ferrari . That nourished the rumors that Ferrari had to retire with engine power after the FIA ​​had again warned against using oil as an additive to gasoline for combustion. The engineers read from the data and GPS measurements that Ferrari, unlike Montreal, no longer gains time on the straight lines on the silver arrows but loses. And they drew their conclusions from it.
Is it just qualifying challenge? I think 2017 challenge is over as well.

GPR-A duplicate2

wickedz50 wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 07:38
GPR-A wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 06:35
Is it just qualifying challenge? I think 2017 challenge is over as well.
If they are using that tactic in races as well. Adding a whole new tank smells like they probably do that in races as well. Let's see how it uncovers.

The danger for Ferrari is that Red Bull has gained strength, with their own chassis correlation issues been fixed, which has allowed them to optimize their aero package and RENAULT having providing an upgrade. So with Ferrari losing out on qualifying speed, Red Bull might just nip them in qualifying and might even maintain race pace.

Will this turn out to be a 2016 like season?

atanatizante

1. Lewis improved from the first shot in Q3 to the last one by 8 tenths and that is quite impressive ... yeah I know that before the red flag he was up by 4 tenths but still an impressive lap ...

2. We should see Lewis lap pole one more time : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK1_Y9JU1Ow
Bottas was to aggressive and in contrast Lewis seems to me it was tip-toeing on his lap ...
Watch how cautious he went trough the all turns-in by "kissing" the apexes and just cutting only on turn 5 ...
So that was the key in qualy: being greedy or not :) ...

3. Timo Glock said on RTL that he spoke with a Merc engineer he knew back to his times in F1 and they have had a big change in the car setup from FP2 to FP3 ...
The big issue was with Lewis car was always with inner front tyre hanging in the air at turn-in and that was due to the roll car setup (the third damper setup was to soft on the rear and to stiff at the front). Therefore, the aero balance was not optimal, front tyres didn`t heat up enough and drivers ending having issues with turn-in and heat in the brakes and that`s way we saw lots of offs into the escape roads in both sessions ...
More of that, although the Merc officials said there`s a little bit of a guess what setup race will be, he thinks that this change will help them in the race but not in an extend that we saw yesterday in qualy ...

4. So having a one stop race we should face the same overcut strategy like we saw in Monaco? At least in F2 that was the case ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

TAG

Verstappen starting right behind Vettel... oy vey.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Who went fastest on long Baku straight?

Very interesting, big difference between team mates...as much as 16 km/h

https://maxf1.net/en/who-went-fastest-o ... -straight/

iotar__

atanatizante wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 09:16
1. Lewis improved from the first shot in Q3 to the last one by 8 tenths and that is quite impressive ... yeah I know that before the red flag he was up by 4 tenths but still an impressive lap ...

2. We should see Lewis lap pole one more time : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK1_Y9JU1Ow
Bottas was to aggressive and in contrast Lewis seems to me it was tip-toeing on his lap ...
Watch how cautious he went trough the all turns-in by "kissing" the apexes and just cutting only on turn 5 ...
So that was the key in qualy: being greedy or not :) ...

3. Timo Glock said on RTL that he spoke with a Merc engineer he knew back to his times in F1 and they have had a big change in the car setup from FP2 to FP3 ...
The big issue was with Lewis car was always with inner front tyre hanging in the air at turn-in and that was due to the roll car setup (the third damper setup was to soft on the rear and to stiff at the front). Therefore, the aero balance was not optimal, front tyres didn`t heat up enough and drivers ending having issues with turn-in and heat in the brakes and that`s way we saw lots of offs into the escape roads in both sessions ...
More of that, although the Merc officials said there`s a little bit of a guess what setup race will be, he thinks that this change will help them in the race but not in an extend that we saw yesterday in qualy ...

4. So having a one stop race we should face the same overcut strategy like we saw in Monaco? At least in F2 that was the case ...
"Lewis, Lewis, Lewis"
I thought it was all about tyres? They're running one driver team and the role of Bottas is not to get in front for which he will be "awarded" a contract.

"...same overcut strategy like we saw in Monaco? "
"Strategy" =P~ ? How about the Canada "strategy"? No, it will be an overtake, if possible or necessary after start. I would bet early in the race.

There was some crazy racing in GP2, no excuses for F1 to be a boring one.

Juzh

CLKGTR wrote:
25 Jun 2017, 13:22
Who went fastest on long Baku straight?

Very interesting, big difference between team mates...as much as 16 km/h

https://maxf1.net/en/who-went-fastest-o ... -straight/
Slipstream.. If teammates are more than 3-4 kph apart then you know something's fishy.

flynfrog

Phil

Awww bottas.... hope he can recover somehow.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

henra
henra

Wow. Power deficit of Ferrari against Force India. :shock: Seems Merc has unleashed again more HP. Incredible where they always seem to find more.

stuartpengs

Wacky races at the moment.

popovic94

Just keep them restarting till the end!!!
"Whoever you are, no matter what social position you have, rich or poor, always show great strength and determination, and always do everything with much love and deep faith in God. One day you will reach your goal." Ayrton Senna