[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Wow, did not expect Matteo to go mental in the front end like that :D

Alonso Fan

LVDH wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 12:00
Hi guys,
the car images:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content/ ... o_2017.gif
You can find more on the challenge homepage:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/?p=1692&preview=true
While last year we more or less converged to two rather similar concepts, this year every car is very different again esp. in the duct concepts now go through almost all cars. There are many different solutions. How they work will be seen tomorrow...
Lol wow caedevice... Your cars are usually clean and beautiful :P
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

CAEdevice

My connection now is so bad I can't see the images... about my front wing, I can say that it is a desperate choice to improve balancing without loosing cooling efficiency.

machin

All the cars are looking good; year-on-year the modelling standard definitely goes up....

What predictions do people have for the results?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Alonso Fan

machin wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 14:03
All the cars are looking good; year-on-year the modelling standard definitely goes up....

I'm gonna be last again

Other than that not sure
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

I finally was able to see the images: what a variety of shapes!

Two words about each team:

Variante: I can't understand the function of the frontal inlets. It would be great to know more directly from the designer. I think your car has an impressive rear downforce (you don't need a high df rear wing), but I have doubts about the front downforce.
Team Furia: I was curious to see the "super efficient" design with high df setup. If you chose quite a high df rear wing, it means you find a way to balance your car.
SHM Racing: the rear part of the car looks promising, but I think that the front diffuser and winglets will not generate enough df. I also would be worried about cooling.
Pure Power Racing: I am sure you could obtain good results in the efficiency races. What about the exhausts pressure? I think you will have quite high values...
Mercury Motorsport: a good evolution from last year, I hope you will have enough front df (this could be the weak point for you too in Monaco and Nurburgring)
JJR Racing: the bat car! I think we have the winner!
Idadox: I could not undestand how the cooling works, but if your cooling design is similar to TF, I think you could be on the podium.
Evolve Performance Racing: simple and clear design. I think I could guess your CFD results and I am sure your perfomance will be good.
CAEdevice: the front "triplane" looks dreadful. I hope it works. I don't like that car: there to many areas where I don't know what happens to the flow. It works anyway, with a good (not perfect) CoP.
Brook Motorsport: as good as Evolve, but probably with a bit more front DF that could make the difference.

My predictions for the podium:

1) JJR
2) TF
3) Idadox, CAEdevice, Variante

Introclass: Brook (but Evolve very near)

Ft5fTL

That is a accurate assumption but i did fix that. On the first tests i had somewhere near 6.5 Pa*m^2 on my exhaust pressure. It has been around -0.218279 - -1.06977 Pa*m^2 on my latest tests.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

CAEdevice

Ft5fTL wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 19:24
That is a accurate assumption but i did fix that. On the first tests i had somewhere near 6.5 Pa*m^2 on my exhaust pressure. It has been around -0.218279 - -1.06977 Pa*m^2 on my latest tests.
Better than my numbers, after fixing it. My exhausts pressure is only a bit below the allowed value. Good job!

LVDH

The shame is that the real innovation is inside of the cars and you guys cannot see it. The different internal flows are very interesting. At some point we must find a cool way of presenting the cars and their aerodynamics better.

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 21:17
The shame is that the real innovation is inside of the cars and you guys cannot see it. The different internal flows are very interesting. At some point we must find a cool way of presenting the cars and their aerodynamics better.
Yeah, and end of year show-all special may be?

CAEdevice wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 16:39

Idadox: I could not undestand how the cooling works, but if your cooling design is similar to TF, I think you could be on the podium.
Ha! Thank you for sitting me at the grown ups table in my first dinner ;)

And about cooling, it's a mystery to me too. It actually evolved over hundreds of interactions from your base car in ways I couldn't have anticipated - and in the end a small detail in one of the cooling duct papers shared here last year made a huge difference. Let's see how it compares with the other approaches.

The car is very tail happy right now, my COP is closer to 1.5 than to 1.6. I think I have room for improvement keeping the HXs as they are. And then let's see what happen when I start stripping it down for efficiency.
Last edited by rjsa on 29 Jul 2017, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 21:17
The internal flow of my car is about the same of the customer car I released, only detalis make difference.
It would be great to have other customer cars, with alternative design concepts.

Meanwhile you could prepare a postprocessing with streamlines based on the custom car obtained with CAESES and my "base" model.

rjsa
rjsa

machin wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 14:03

Oh cmon, don't tease us, you know the results already!

BTW, love the PowerxTorque page. Makes me even want to go back the Atlas' power x torque thread and stir the pot.

Alonso Fan

rjsa wrote:
29 Jul 2017, 21:32

Yeah, and end of year show-all special may be?
That's a good idea. But maybe only the championship winning car should be shown?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

LVDH

OK guys,
here you go:
Congrats to Dash-Dash-Dash-Dash-Dash, good work...

rjsa
rjsa

LOL, tease.

I had 1:22.28 here, but I know I screwed the final mesh. Let's see what the report will say.

Now this guy, dash, is great.