[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
rjsa
rjsa

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2017

I've got the streamlines on the report, cool.

No HX flow or any of the per part CD/CL listings I was seeing in the solver log.

The first two sets of images, the plain render and the x-ray showing HX are a series of blank images with the identifying text on the top left corner.

EDIT: Just noticed, the isosurface is hollow: it doesn't have the gray base shell, only the pressure volume

Some floor/HX flow:

rjsa
rjsa

A second case brought the gray car shape back. Still no parts performance or HX flow data output on the report.

LVDH

This is pretty strange. Please send me a case to he Dropbox link from last race. Do others get all numbers?

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
03 Sep 2017, 04:25
I have a request: Can on the next release the full force coefs be written last on the log? So that we can have them readable on screen between interactions during calculations?
Quite difficult as the logs are created by OpenFOAM. I would have to reprogram it and make it available to all of you. You might have noticed that for Windows this is quite an effort. However as a very long term project I do have in the back of my head to create my own fork, focused on aerodynamics. One of the things I would like to fix immediately when doing that is how the log files are made. But this is something I will not start this year for sure.

What you can do though is use my post processing tool. Just try out this command:
./MFlow_MVRC2017_PP_lin <case_location> -plots

By the way you can do ./MFlow_MVRC2017_PP_lin <case_location> -images -offscreen for offscreen rendering of the images. The plots do not work yet.

rjsa
rjsa

That can be done mid processing?

etsmc
etsmc

I have run a case and also only get the overall Cd, Cl, Cl(f), Cl(r) and CoP.
one thing I did notice as well, is in the post processing folder it did not generate a monitored_cfd_results text file with the HX numbers in it.

The streamlines look great and have helped me with something already.
Is there a way to set the height of the streamlines or is this a future development area.

The software is really nice and easy to use now, you have done a great job pulling it all together.

Alonso Fan

so my turn to share some colourful images of a development version of my car...

development version R3.3 is well under way and in fact it's a major change compared to this current R3.2
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

rjsa wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 18:47
That can be done mid processing?
Currently only with luck. You will have to try a few times hit hit the lucky time slot when it works during solving. I have checked the code and making it more robust is a bit difficult so that will not happen for the next release.

The monitoring surface issue is now fixed. I am just wondering about a small additional feature I could pack into the release that fixes it. Stl files as a source for more streamlines could be an option but then you will have to wait until tomorrow.

CAEdevice

Stl files as a source for more streamlines could be an option but then you will have to wait until tomorrow.
It would be great!

I would use it to monitor where the cooling flow comes from and where it goes after passing through the cooling outlets.
I promise I will put a CFD image about it when it will be available :)

A curiosity: the car is still computed using a simmetry plane? I noticed that using separated mirrors form the body as a test, the left mirror numbers are slightly different from the right mirrors results.

rjsa
rjsa

LVDH wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 16:08
This is pretty strange. Please send me a case to he Dropbox link from last race. Do others get all numbers?
Do you still want the full case? It's an odd case with missing stl geometry on the report - it's random and I have successful one after that.

The reporting problem you seem to have fixed.

LVDH

Yes, reporting is fixed.
The one with the missing geometry is not new. It is an annoying bug that appears from time to time. It sometimes happens with ASCII stl files. It is only a matter of displaying them in the GUI and then later during post-processing. It does not affect solving. Why it happens is a bit strange. It is a VTK bug that occasionally seems to find its way back into that code. No idea why. I have reported it a while ago but they did not seem to look into it. The only work around is to find the "faulty" stl and convert to to binary with for example Paraview.

CAEdevice

rjsa wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 02:31
LVDH wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 16:08
Do you still want the full case? It's an odd case with missing stl geometry on the report - it's random and I have successful one after that.

The reporting problem you seem to have fixed.
Did you changed the folder name or path after generating the case with MFlow? If you did, you have to manually edit "stl_db.mwf".

etsmc
etsmc

been working on a concept for the efficiency races and finally got the car finished and some initial testing was done..

LVDH

The front looks very cool. Are those cooling intakes? I wounder what the Cp surface image of that view looks like. I hope a lot of red at that splitter.

I will be presenting our championship at the CAESES user meeting in three weeks (the OF guys rejected me...). If you have cool images or other material I could use, please send it to me. It will help make your virtual race team more famous.

LVDH

The new version is up. There are now streamlines emitted from your measurement surfaces. Right now it is not super nice though as they go either forward or backward. I will try to find a solution in future to combine them in the images. For now the missing value of those surfaces in the report was the main reason for this update. You could add a surface for example in front of the rear wing to see what happens to the flow there. No changes to the solver have been made.