Williams-Toyota: Apparantly a reality

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JimmyK
JimmyK

Williams-Toyota: Apparantly a reality

zac510
zac510

I think it is a good thing for Williams and might just put a rocket up Toyota's backside too :)

janus
janus

good for williams ..i dont think so..and the reason ist simple does anybody think that ist not possible to see a toyota in front of a williams in this season if the toyota was the williams engine putting monaco out at race did the toyota performe better them the williams

i think williams will not get the most up to date engine...and that is the big problem

the cosworth engines are struglling but they have the most hp.

the only explanation is simple money ....

JimmyK
JimmyK

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Interesting. I'm sure Sam Michael and Frank Williams know what they're doing. And a lot can happen in engine development in a year.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dcdabest
dcdabest

If the rumours are true then it looks like the deal may not be just a customer one. i.e. Toyota may give Williams a lot more support than they gave Midland (who seem to pretty chuffed about their deal) and perhaps even some money if the engines are badged as Lexus.

A winning Lexus car would probably not damage Toyota's reputation too much.

Toyota have not been talking about the competitveness of their engine this year though...perhaps they are glad to give it to Williams!
Im thinking of all the li'l starving Africans...

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I have no idea if Toyota even know what they are doing. It seems apparent they are patiently building a winner, one slow step at a time, but the whole process seems to be run by a commitee. At the pace they are developing, they are going backwards relative to the field. So much money being thrown around with little to show for it. Ralf has to be the biggest embarassment in F1. He's drawing an incredible salary, and isn't impressing anyone with his racing performance. And if he has value as a development driver, it sure isn't showing with a car that should be much more competive with all the resources behind it.
The deal with Williams has to be a wake up call for the people in Cologne, and a slap in the face. They now have to be better than the more modestly funded Williams, or so many heads will roll they will be in short supply of Katanas.
I believe Williams will get engine support equal to the official team, in order to remove any internal excuses from Cologne. It's definitely crunch time for the official team, they have to produce a winner, a line has been drawn on the sand by the big suits in Japan.

Ted68

I don't know. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in the days of the DFV, but I think Sir Frank is better off staying with Cosworth. The Cossie out-powers the Toyota, and they are working on reliability. Next year should be something completely different. Besides, Williams-Cosworth sounds better than Williams-Lexus.

NickT

Well I think its a double edged sword with big pluses and minuses on both sides. Will Toyota really allow a customer beat the factory team, I cannot see it if the engine is called a Toyota, possible if it is a Lexus. Then the Toyota engines have never been short of power and reliability and I think its the reliability that is the key to Williams decision, the Cosworth is powerful but fragile and has cost them a lot of points this season.
NickT

JimmyK
JimmyK

Ooh, apparantly the done deal has been denied.

That's alliteration for ya ;)

http://formula-1.updatesport.com/news/a ... /view.html

Ted68

From Cosworth's website:

Press Releases

The Cosworth V8

In the FIA press conference yesterday Mark Webber expresses his delight with the Cosworth V8 engine:

Q: It’s said that the deal is done between Toyota and Williams. What are your feelings about a possible change of power for next year?

MW: Well, there’s loads of speculation but as usual, until it’s all done, you never never know. But first of all Cosworth have not let us down anywhere this season in terms of… we had the one rear of the field at the start of the race in Nurburgring, but the pace of the engine has been absolutely phenomenal for us all year. It’s one of the best V8s if not the best V8 ever. It’s an incredible engine and there are some very good guys there. So if we do change, there’s a big set of shoes to fill, to fill Cosworth’s role that they’ve done for us this year.

Lightspeed

The article posted above reads :

Williams is pushing for a 'free engine supply' including 80 V8s from Toyota.

Considering that Williams is facing a financially crunchy period relative to recent years wherin they were backed and supplied to by rich manufacturers, IMHO the williams team will be more inclined to procure engines from toyota for free rather than have to pay 18+ million $ to Cosworth for engines.

Ciro Pabón

Fox Sports anchor said this morning, that not only it seems Williams - Toyota seems on the verge of a deal, but that RBR could switch Ferrari for Cosworth. These guys know, so I wonder.
Ciro

JimmyK
JimmyK

What do Williams have to offer Toyota in return for any free engines?
Help with designing the car could be an option, I suppose, but then they might as well form one team together, it would be cheaper, for sure.

Driver wise, I know Mark Webber's almost certainly staying at Williams, and Toyota seem to be denying they want Rosberg, any thoughts?

RH1300S
RH1300S

JimmyK wrote:What do Williams have to offer Toyota in return for any free engines?
Help with designing the car could be an option, I suppose, but then they might as well form one team together, it would be cheaper, for sure.

Driver wise, I know Mark Webber's almost certainly staying at Williams, and Toyota seem to be denying they want Rosberg, any thoughts?
I would have thought Toyota get a chance to push the Lexus brand via. another route some time in the future (Williams_Lexus?).

As for Webber, more likely to be considered for a seat at Renault? Who looks after him :wink: