Willis gone?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1.redbaron

Willis gone?

Nowhere does it say that he was fired, but it seems like not only will he not be with the Honda next year, but he lost his position as the Technical Director. Anybody got any more info on that?

http://www.f1technical.net/news/3326

RH1300S
RH1300S

It does look like his position is "under discussion" as some people say.......the signs are there aren't they.

Principessa

It's really weird. First he was replaced for the GP's by Belgian Eeckeleart ( :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/news/3295) and now he's also lost his title as senior technical director. There is something up, that's for sure.

f1.redbaron

I guess that they're following in Toyota's footsteps

m3_lover

I would have thought Nick Fry would get the can too.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Just like a sports coach, if you don't achieve positive results, expect to be sacked. Honda has seriously underperformed from the first race of the season, and changes have to be made.

m3_lover

How can they be so good in testing but crappy in a race, just like toyota before the start of the season in winter testing. Does anybody have any ideas?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

flynfrog

m3_lover wrote:How can they be so good in testing but crappy in a race, just like toyota before the start of the season in winter testing. Does anybody have any ideas?
under weight cars :?:

jaslfc
jaslfc

maybe renault and ferrari dont show the true potential of the car during test. for a few years now honda has been so promising in test. Another issue is honda has always been fast over 1 lap but cannot have the same consistent speed during a race stint

Principessa

Yes Jaslfc, You just have to look at Barrichello to know that Honda laks speed during the race.

Principessa

Appearantly Willis left himself: http://www.f1technical.net/news/3334

NickT

m3_lover wrote:I would have thought Nick Fry would get the can too.
Have to agree there, in fact I would go as far as to say that Fry should have left before Willis. Afterall the team's poor performance in the pits this year has cost them a lot more the design has :evil: Sounds like politics and scape goats again :roll:

Hmmm..... Mike G and Jeff W on gardening/sailing leave. It would be very interesting to see how they would work together, question is where will they will end up :?:

Just read this one http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns16989.htm and this one, from "The Mole", makes interesting reading to http://www.grandprix.com/mole/mole16988.htmll
NickT

West
West

Japanese conspiracies abound this year
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Spencifer_Murphy

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=36342

It would appear that he really has gone. Its pretty much all but confirmed.

I must agree that I also wish Nick Fry would go. He always seems to come across as a bit arrogant and "I know best". For example at Australia when JPM was making his way to the front atfer spinning on the warm up, TV coverage showed him angrily shaking his head arms folded like he knew better than those enforcing the rules. (In the end JPM recieved no penalty as the race stewards saw nothing wrong with it!)

Also I find Honda less in touch with the fans with Fry running the show as opposed to when Richards was. Fry is ever the politician, dodging questions or just not answering them. "Why's Jenson so slow", "We've been testing and have found the problem it will be fixed" (still no answer as to WHY the car is slow) next race "So its not fixed is it Nick?" "well, I think our pace was alright, there's definately some improvement, Jenson had a problem with a fly buzzing around in the cockpit, which added weight to the car, this was of course before one of the pit crew battered him over the head with the lollypop"

Obviously none of that is actual quote, but its a satirical imprression that I get from him...I just dont like him.

On a less personal note, I find it a little interesting as how BAR had a bumper year with Dave Richards at the helm in 2004, 2005 comes along with Nick Fry and everything goes down the pan.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

ginsu
ginsu

Y'know, David Richards always had a real presence about him, and there were consequences with him if things didn't go right. With DR there was accountability. He really played the part well with Jenson too, and I know Jense and DR didn't get along too well, but hey, look how well they were doing then. Do you think Jense is happy now? He looks more upset and deflated than ever, I don't think he really believes in the car, and I think his confidence with the team is slipping.

Nick Fry has no conviction, he will say whatever he needs to say. Willis has very little presence, there just seems to be no driving force with the team. I like Gil, but he doesn't seem to have the effect I would like him to have.

But, I have to say it, I knew this would happen when they sacked DR. People loose faith when they loose a leader. DR was a great leader, I think he's on par with Flavio personally, and we'll see what he can do with ProDrive in F1 real soon.
I love to love Senna.