Monty no good any more?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

He is a great wheel to wheel racer
This is the key here.....Your talking about him coming from an environment where is was possible....F1 isnt about wheel to wheel racing !!

and Yes his attitude lets him down at times but atleast this guy is entertaining to watch......he doesnt believe in political correctness!!! Calls it how it is.....the only thing he sugar coats is the donuts and apple pies!!!

Spencifer_Murphy

Hudsonhawk. wrote:
He is a great wheel to wheel racer
This is the key here.....Your talking about him coming from an environment where is was possible....F1 isnt about wheel to wheel racing !!

and Yes his attitude lets him down at times but atleast this guy is entertaining to watch......he doesnt believe in political correctness!!! Calls it how it is.....the only thing he sugar coats is the donuts and apple pies!!!
LMAO! I've got to agree. He is a great wheel-to-wheel racer, but F1 isn't ALL about that. HOWEVER, he IS deserving of an F1 race seat (unlike...ummm I dunno, Yuji Ide? Alex Yoong? Tarso Marques?!) He may not have fulfulled the promise he showed when he started at Williams but so what, he's still a bloody fast driver on his day, and he's one of the few who will actually speak his mind!
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

RH1300S
RH1300S

Great videos - that's what we want to see him doing in a car

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

NickT

8) Excellent 8) - just hope he can squeeze out some examples of those amazing talents out over the coming races and justify being kept in F1
NickT

m3_lover

Monty is out, he is going to America with Klien because they couldn't hack it in F1
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Scuderia_Russ

Some great moves on Schuey and Raikkonen in that vid that I had forgotten about, but why was half of it him crashing or running over his mechanics? I thought it was supposed to be a tribute video. :?:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Ciro Pabón

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Some great moves on Schuey and Raikkonen in that vid that I had forgotten about, but why was half of it him crashing or running over his mechanics? I thought it was supposed to be a tribute video. :?:
Sometimes, if you show that a great person has a temper that does not help him, you are showing that he is even greater. :)
Ciro

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Some great moves on Schuey and Raikkonen in that vid that I had forgotten about, but why was half of it him crashing or running over his mechanics? I thought it was supposed to be a tribute video.
I don't know, but I suppose you can't get all those great moves without crashing from time to time and the author of the highlights knew it. There is no shame in trying hard and losing... at least for me. :wink:

jaslfc
jaslfc

m3_lover wrote:Monty is out, he is going to America with Klien because they couldn't hack it in F1
klien may go, but i think monty is much better than at least 3/4 of the drivers on the grid. I think he is fairly confindent in retaining the seat in mclaren for at least next year but he has to up his game for 2008

Spencifer_Murphy

Scuderia_Russ wrote:Some great moves on Schuey and Raikkonen in that vid that I had forgotten about, but why was half of it him crashing or running over his mechanics? I thought it was supposed to be a tribute video. :?:
I think maybe because the vid isnt meant to portray just the good bits. Listen to the song, I think that the vid maybe aimed more at highlighting his more entertaining moment, thats flair and latin temper included.

It does make me think though. Whether you're a JPM fan or not (I'll admit..I am) u can't deny he has proven already he's got something very special, on his day he really is brilliant, a schumi, kimi or fernando beater. But I don't think he has the temperment to do that consistently tho string together a championship bid.

What he now has to prove is whether or nt he still has that. Ever since he left Williams soething seems to have gone, maybe that latin spark that makes him click...he's got a temper, that could be something he USES in the car. Like in football Wayne Rooney says "I like to play with a bit of anger, I think it improves my game" whereas Ronaldinho says "I like to play music in my hed while I'm playing, it makes me happy, and I play best when I'm happy."

JV was once quoted as saying something allong the lines of "If you drive crap cars enough, you loose your touch." and he should know the 1997 champ is only now beinging to show that kind of speed again after years driving below par BAR's, he couldn't even get a Renault round a track quickly in the latter part of 2004. NOW however here he is, born again, a great asset to his team. (Well Done btw JV).

Now I'm not saying the Mclaren is crap, but it is lacking somewhere. Its not the car Kimi or JPM where expecting when they signed to drive with Mclaren. And many times I've heard JPM, De La Rosa and even Alex Wurz (while he was at Mc-Merc) saying the car has inherant understeer and they don't like it. While it is believed Kimi DOES like that quality of the car.

My point is, JV said driving crap cars can make u loose ure touch. Cold it be that driving a car you are never fully comfortable with could do the same thing?

I mean its quite staggering how JPM's performaces have plumetted since when he was at Williams. Its also strange to seen him finishsing races where you say "Yup, Monty's done a solid job..but thts it." where it used to be "WOW what a race by Montoya shame his engine blew/Verstappen nerfed him from behind/ he hit the barrier at Monaco!" :lol:

There's more to Monty's lack of apparent pace these two years than meets the eye I believe. And I think Mclaren is the problem, not him. Lets face it, Kimi has get to win a championship with Mclaren yet, and if rumors are to be believed he's fed up and signed elsewhere for next year.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

NickT

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:There's more to Monty's lack of apparent pace these two years than meets the eye I believe. And I think Mclaren is the problem, not him. Lets face it, Kimi has get to win a championship with Mclaren yet, and if rumors are to be believed he's fed up and signed elsewhere for next year.
I think you are right Spencifer, MacLaren has always done well with cooler thinking drivers, where as Williams has always done well with people who are more aggressive/expressive. Teams definately have their own personalities and charactors, some suit one driver but often don't suit an other, just look at Mansel at Williams and then at McLaren.

Monsta got into bed with the super sofisticated and beautiful looking McLaren and has found to his cost that their's is not a match made in heaven. There's no spark, no fire and no passion, all magic ingredients required by Monsta to perform at his best.
NickT

RH1300S
RH1300S

Pigs might fly..........but he could do worse than go to Ferrari. AFIK MS likes a front endy car, JPM too. That and a chance to needle MS would surely get Monty at his best again.

Please someone give him a car he can fight with........... :twisted:

I can fully believe JV's comments about crap cars taking your edge away. A guy like Alonso is in a virtuous circle (MS has been there too) - he has a great car, he's using it brilliantly, the team think this is great so get fully motivated - give him a better car..........etc. etc.

I think that a car not suiting a driver's style will make all the difference in the world - first, they are having to adapt, second when the results don't come it messes with their confidence - just chips away little bits - before you know it...........head's gone.

Remember, when JPM first arrived he was probably the one person that MS was trully worried about in a wheel to wheel situation..........

dumrick
dumrick

RH1300S wrote:Remember, when JPM first arrived he was probably the one person that MS was trully worried about in a wheel to wheel situation..........
Now it's Rosberg that has the same worries...