Monty no good any more?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

I don't blame him. He had to try. I don't think he had much more options than do, what he did.

dumrick
dumrick

An unfortunate race accident, that's what it was. Monty was surprised by Kimi braking early, Kimi did it to avoid messing with other cars... you can see in the TV shots both McLarens going at similar pace and, suddently, their gap wasn't there anymore...

NickT

Is there any overhead coverage of the accident?
NickT

Scuderia_Russ

Ignis Fatuus wrote:He had to try. I don't think he had much more options than do, what he did.
Err, brake!
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Ignis Fatuus wrote:
He had to try. I don't think he had much more options than do, what he did.

Err, brake!
Tried. Didn't work... :cry:

Venom
Venom

Maybe Montoya should do what Hakkinen did :roll:
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

jgredline

Venom wrote:Maybe Montoya should do what Hakkinen did :roll:
Whats that ?
To finish first, first you must finish.

Hudsonhawk.
Hudsonhawk.

Maybe Montoya should do what Hakkinen did
jgridline

retire....... ](*,)

West
West

Why should he retire if he joined in 2001?

Hopefully it won't be like Irvine with nobody wanting him.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

RH1300S
RH1300S

Just read a very interesting interview with Martin Whitmarsh (Autosport). Reading very carefully between the lines (and adding a good amount of my own spin on the interpretation :D), especially his comments on Lewis Hamilton (strong hint that he won't be in the seat for next year - maybe the one after); and I would begin to wonder if, in fact, Monty may have a decent chance of keeping his seat for 1997.

I would really like to see that - first, just because I think the guy is a great driver (yes, I know I started this thread - but doesn't mean I'm not a fan ;)) - second, it will be interesting to be able to have some yardstick to measure Alonso against compared to Kimi.

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

I don't think Monty was the one who slept behind the wheel. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQVEioXw9s

RH1300S
RH1300S

Interesting.....I don't have sound here, so cannot hear any commentary (is there one?).

From the overhead it looks like Kimi could have been much tighter to the cars in front. Montoya, the cars in front and the ones to the outside all seemed to be travelling quicker than Kimi. In Monty's defence, with that many cars around you, you will probably judge your position with peripheral vision on the speed of the cars around you - not so much the one in front.

peroa
peroa

Ignis Fatuus wrote:I don't think Monty was the one who slept behind the wheel. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQVEioXw9s

Actually KR is travelling the same speed as Barrichelo in front. It is JPM that doesn`t slow down, at all.
Easy on the Appletini!

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

peroa wrote: Actually KR is travelling the same speed as Barrichelo in front. It is JPM that doesn`t slow down, at all.

That's not exactly true. Barrichello was a lot quicker, KR slowed down when he let Barrichello past and then he braked for the second time. All others were quicker than Kimi, that was the problem.
I don't have sound here, so cannot hear any commentary (is there one?).
There is German commentary, but nothing we didn't hear before.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

No, look at it, actually look, Kimi brakes or atleast lifts off the throttle. Its only for an instant and it was probably partly because Barricello was also slowing infront of him.... It's hard to judge but for sure Kimi slows down very suddenly...