Question about Indy '05

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scuderia_Russ

BTW, there seems to be alot of convenient quotes that paint everyone else in a bad light to try and distract from his companies ineptness in that interview that was quoted.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

manchild
manchild

m3_lover wrote:Did they ever found out what caused the tires to fail?
Yes, dispute ended when some photographic evidence was handed out to FIA although it was never explained or published.

[EDF]Fx
[EDF]Fx

The FIA didnt say no no no, they said that a solution must be fair in regards to the Bridgestone teams and then the FIA put forward a number of proposals that they thought were safe and fair but the Michelin teams and Michelin simply said no no no no.

FIA even offered technical assistance but this was also rejected.

Michelin screwed up and that can happen especially in racing but the teams refusing to race was unbelievable. On this one I must agree with
Peter Windsor @ http://www.itv-f1.com.

And if the whole affair wasnt political then why was Paul Stoddart involved ? Paul ran Minardi and they would have finished last with or without a chicane.

/ Fx

manchild
manchild

[EDF]Fx wrote:Michelin screwed up and that can happen especially in racing but the teams refusing to race was unbelievable
It was unbeliveable but in good way - teams have spend millions but decided not to take risk for the sake of safety. Also, Ralf crashed his Williams in 2004 in same corner and than in 2005 he repeated that with Toyota. We'll never know what exactly happened with his tyres but Michelin and 7 teams decision not to race was a noble act.

BTW, Stoddy was spokesman for all teams except Ferrari (9 out of 10). 9 teams had identical viewpoints even though 2 of them (Jordan and Minardi) were on Bridgestone tyres. Even Bernie backed up 9 teams idea including Schuey and Barrichello initially.

So that left Ferrari & Mosley vs. 9 teams and FOM. Democracy and concern for the safety and fans at its best :roll:

RH1300S
RH1300S

manchild wrote:
m3_lover wrote:Did they ever found out what caused the tires to fail?
Yes, dispute ended when some photographic evidence was handed out to FIA although it was never explained or published.
Hmmm....I'm surprised you have forgotten. I seem to remember that the evidence came from your goodself............. :wink:

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

The FIA didnt say no no no, they said that a solution must be fair in regards to the Bridgestone teams and then the FIA put forward a number of proposals that they thought were safe and fair but the Michelin teams and Michelin simply said no no no no.
I remember they suggested a speed restriction for Michelin runners in turn 13. Maybe it was "fair", but not very safe...

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/3241/740.html
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

manchild
manchild

RH, if Ciro sees your intro with he'll go crazy :lol:

sebbe
sebbe

Kimi at Indi 2005

I remember reading somewhere that Kimi Räikkönen wanted desperately to race, and that only Ron Dennis could make him change his mind (the very Sunday morning, nothing less).
Now, Kimi must have been more than eager to close the gap to Alonso, but he´s not stupid, he wouldn´t have raced knowing that he could kill himself.
I don´t know if anyone did any attempt to run reducing the speed at turn 13, but I think that I would have given it the try. The Kimi-Ron situation might suggest that reducing the speed at that turn was feasible, and that the Michelin backed teams didn´t want to give it a try because the Bridgestone teams would have had an advantage, not for safety reasons.

As for Michelin, they screwed it up, royally. FIA (Max) didn´t do anything to solve the problem, so he screwed it up royally too. But let´s remember that the major car manufacturers where threatening to form a breakaway series, so there were other issues apart from being impartial with te Bridgestone teams and the Michelin teams.
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Look at how many problems can cause 1 slow car on track, how would they survive if there were sixteen?
29 June 2005
All of the Michelin team drivers, plus those of Bridgestone-shod Minardi, signed a statement following the US Grand Prix, supporting their teams’ actions and explaining why they felt FIA suggestions for slowing cars through Turn 13 were unworkable.

The statement, which was signed by 19 drivers on June 23, was put forward by the Michelin teams in Wednesday’s World Motor Sport Council meeting. In it, the drivers said they felt a chicane to be the only safe way of slowing the cars, rejecting the FIA’s idea of imposing a speed limit on the cars in question.
http://www.formula1.com/race/news/3241/740.html
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

Tom

Michelin were not worried about how competitive they were, they offered to forfeit points remember, but they couldn't race because it is not safe to have some cars going fast and some going slow, michelin made the mistake therefore it was entirely fair that they didn't race and the fans were just unlucky, however thats not to say that F1 doesn't eed fans because as Martin Brundle wrote in his book, F1 is about the fans, otherwise we'd race on Wednesday instead of at the weekend!
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

flynfrog

Tom wrote:Michelin were not worried about how competitive they were, they offered to forfeit points remember, but they couldn't race because it is not safe to have some cars going fast and some going slow, michelin made the mistake therefore it was entirely fair that they didn't race and the fans were just unlucky, however thats not to say that F1 doesn't eed fans because as Martin Brundle wrote in his book, F1 is about the fans, otherwise we'd race on Wednesday instead of at the weekend!
i am pretyt sure that it was offered they could run down pit lane every lap and they declined

you may dissagree saying they cant do it but why not if they were so worried about not needing to be competive then they still could have won paoints

if they built teh chicane the FIA would not ocunt teh race thus screweing over the bridgstone teams who did there home work and borught the propper tire (unlike most races that year)

there were some great quotes on the bathroom wall at indy some were in the redbulliten

also alot of anti michelin t shirts

id say alot of people are still bitter about it