2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kalinka
kalinka

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Sieper wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 11:21
well, that is mapping, programming where to use the ERS deployment. So yes, that will remain possible. What you cannot do anymore is set the ICE (turbo boost, ignition timing, fuel mixture) etc. differently.
Yep, that would be common sense..but then how do you set your ICE to different settings during the race? Different harvesting/deploying modes/safety car mode, race start---etc...and if it's still allowed they could just hide a qualy mode between those settings and name it "overtake" mode... :?

Sieper

you should not be allowed to change any mappings (unless warm up and cool down lap at beginning an end and behind safety car). You do have a overtake boost, Short boost. But that is all. How often you can use that I don't know. The idea is no different modes at all anymore. If they can get around it then either the wording (which we don't exactly know) of the TD is incorrect or it is plane cheating. That happens.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

There ought to be a "limp" mode that allows them to continue if something's amiss that otherwise prevents full power running. The alternative is that there'll be more cars retiring where currently they might just be able to change the map and eek out a finish.

If they're going to prevent any map changes, why allow in-laps, out-laps, safety car laps etc? What's the logic? You're doing an in-lap or an out-lap so suddenly you get to use a quali-style mode for the lap? What if you start your in-lap and then change your mind? Do you get to use it again? What's to stop a team doing three aborted in-laps in a row? How will the system know? How will it be policed? I bet someone tries it this first race to see if they can get away with it.

The whole thing is the usual FIA knee-jerk response fuelled by a "something must be done" attitude, this time apparently to aid Ferrari although it's being sold as "closing up the field".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanE
NathanE

surely the fuel saving agenda, which felt like a big push a couple of years ago, relies in part on dynamic mapping that optimises efficiency at different power outputs. Getting rid of dynamic mode control means it will be much harder to claim that they are really pushing any kind of environmental imperative?

Schippke
Schippke

NathanE wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 13:06
surely the fuel saving agenda, which felt like a big push a couple of years ago, relies in part on dynamic mapping that optimises efficiency at different power outputs. Getting rid of dynamic mode control means it will be much harder to claim that they are really pushing any kind of environmental imperative?
I felt they were starting to move away from that more when they started increasing the fuel allowances for the races; From 100kg to 105kg and then to what we have now at 110kg. Understandable it was in response to the cars changing pace wise, but still...

Jolle
Jolle

NathanE wrote:
It is indeed a bit strange. This "party mode trick" is actually quite useful in road cars. Where you have a fuel efficient car 99% of the time and that monster sports car for those few times where you want power!

Part of me thinks Ferrari wanted to push this change to obscure their current PU trouble. Then they could point to the new rules when lacking in pace, instead of having the obvious conclusion of cheating. But, I wouldn't be surprised if this also will bite Ferrari in the backside...

Sieper

No way. I wouldn’t want my engine to implode due to knock at any point. Just buy a car with potentially higher performance and don’t use that 99% of the time.

SiLo

It reeks of the FIA doing something because of what happened to Ferarri. But I get the feeling it won't help them much anyway. It's very close to the race and we haven' really seen a whole lot of info on this new rule, wonder if it will get pushed back again.
Felipe Baby!

Moore77

Jolle wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 13:29
NathanE wrote:
It is indeed a bit strange. This "party mode trick" is actually quite useful in road cars. Where you have a fuel efficient car 99% of the time and that monster sports car for those few times where you want power!

Part of me thinks Ferrari wanted to push this change to obscure their current PU trouble. Then they could point to the new rules when lacking in pace, instead of having the obvious conclusion of cheating. But, I wouldn't be surprised if this also will bite Ferrari in the backside...
I said this in the Ferrari team thread. Ferrari have nothing to lose now. They can potentially take a new PU every 3 races by taking penalties and run that PU to the extreme and gain as much as they can while others have to balance quali and race! Why not go for glory in those 3 Italian races with this new rule? Bolt the softest available tyres and kill them with 2 stops when everyone else goes for 1 stop.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Big Tea

Does anyone have a knowledge of what is not allowed? For instance, things like automatic ignition advance has been used for 80 years at least, so that can not be banned. Mixture self adjustment due to a gas reading in the exhaust has been around for 50 years, VVT for what? 30 years, Knock sensing etc all look after the engine, where do they draw the line?

Is it all ok as long as the ECU does it, as long as the driver does it un coached?

Edit, sorry just noticed there an item on it here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29346 which in turn sends here view ... 35#p917835
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Ringleheim wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 00:29
zibby43 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 00:11
Back in the days where the gaps in the top 10 were so tight and every race was a thriller.

https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/statu ... 25729?s=21
But the beauty of F1 back then was that just watching the cars go round the track was highly entertaining, and they sounded incredible.

The spectacle was much greater than what we have now.
? Get real. Back then, compared to today, no one even had an HDTV! What spectacle are you even talking about :) You want to watch spectacle, there is none like Roman gladiators... Alas we don't have it anymore either :]

Jolle
Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 15:07
Does anyone have a knowledge of what is not allowed? For instance, things like automatic ignition advance has been used for 80 years at least, so that can not be banned. Mixture self adjustment due to a gas reading in the exhaust has been around for 50 years, VVT for what? 30 years, Knock sensing etc all look after the engine, where do they draw the line?

Is it all ok as long as the ECU does it, as long as the driver does it un coached?

Edit, sorry just noticed there an item on it here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29346 which in turn sends here view ... 35#p917835
What is banned that you can switch maps, what a big part of the Strat modes are. VVT doesn't make sense on a racing car anyway, the rev range is too limited to have any impact.

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 06:11
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 06:04
I don't my TV can give me tinnitus at normal viewing levels...
Just to be clear, I was referring to being trackside.
Oh. I thought you were referring to how the overwhelmingly vast majority watch the racing. You were only concerned about the few people that are trackside already wearing earplugs...

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 19:29
Oh. I thought you were referring to how the overwhelmingly vast majority watch the racing. You were only concerned about the few people that are trackside already wearing earplugs...
if you were even within a few hundred yards of the track you needed ear plugs. With the hybrids you can be almost up against the fence and not needed them. It's nice being able to have a conversation with a friend sitting next to you without having to shout at them. IMO it makes a day at the track much more enjoyable.

If they want to make it sound better for the people at home, that's what a multi band equalizer is for. I honestly don't know why they don't manipulate the audio already.
197 104 103 7

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Wass85 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:56
I'm starting to like that Renault PU, does anyone think it sounds very similar to a LMP1 car?
It definitely sound a lot more hybrid/electric than the others on board for sure