2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 13:00
There ought to be a "limp" mode that allows them to continue if something's amiss that otherwise prevents full power running. The alternative is that there'll be more cars retiring where currently they might just be able to change the map and eek out a finish.

If they're going to prevent any map changes, why allow in-laps, out-laps, safety car laps etc? What's the logic? You're doing an in-lap or an out-lap so suddenly you get to use a quali-style mode for the lap? What if you start your in-lap and then change your mind? Do you get to use it again? What's to stop a team doing three aborted in-laps in a row? How will the system know? How will it be policed? I bet someone tries it this first race to see if they can get away with it.

The whole thing is the usual FIA knee-jerk response fuelled by a "something must be done" attitude, this time apparently to aid Ferrari although it's being sold as "closing up the field".
They are aloud to change the mode for reliability concerns during the race, but there has to be a significant drop in performance.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 19:35

if you were even within a few hundred yards of the track you needed ear plugs.
Back in the V10 days, I was in this village,
https://goo.gl/maps/EpymQbHHxLz1oqZp9 , on a Silverstone F1 test day. I could hear, faintly, the cars on track.

That's how loud they were.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Moore77

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/wolf ... n=widget-1

Wolff: F1 should open up internal team radio to entertain fans

I would listen to the team radio all race long, instead of BS from Crofty, Brundle and DiResta. But may be it would be utterly boring for an average fan watching TV and they need someone to talk basic stuff so that they can follow the race.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

basti313
basti313

dans79 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 19:35
Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 19:29
Oh. I thought you were referring to how the overwhelmingly vast majority watch the racing. You were only concerned about the few people that are trackside already wearing earplugs...
if you were even within a few hundred yards of the track you needed ear plugs. With the hybrids you can be almost up against the fence and not needed them. It's nice being able to have a conversation with a friend sitting next to you without having to shout at them. IMO it makes a day at the track much more enjoyable.

If they want to make it sound better for the people at home, that's what a multi band equalizer is for. I honestly don't know why they don't manipulate the audio already.
Yes, comparing old V8 DTM two years ago with last year F1 at the fence in Spore...on the grandstands F1 was much more enjoyable. You can hear the individual cars and still, if you are at the main straight grandstand in the lower third with full acceleration it is a mindblowing sound on the ear limit. Completely different at DTM, already on the grandstand you needed to think about earplugs that spoil it completely. My daughter had to wear ear protection all the time and she hated it.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Zynerji

Sounds like Formula E is more your style then. Reminds me of folk who sit in the grandstand, but watch the race on those Kangaroo TV.

Why even spend the money to be there in person? 🙄

Wouter

250 doctors and nurses to attend F1's Italian GP as spectators.

The Ferrari Formula 1 team has revealed 250 doctors and nurses who played a role on the frontline in the fight against COVID-19 will attend this weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

The 250 frontline workers will be guests of the Automobile Club d'Italia, which is the promoter of the Italian Grand Prix.

"Like all the other races run so far this year, the Italian Grand Prix will be held behind closed doors and therefore there will be no traditional track invasion by the fans at the end of the race," Ferrari wrote in its pre-race preview.

"However, there will be 250 very special people in the grandstands, socially distanced of course: doctors and nurses will be guests at the track, as a symbolic honour for their courage, sense of duty and altruism as frontline workers in the fight against COVID-19."
Source
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 09:09
Sounds like Formula E is more your style then. Reminds me of folk who sit in the grandstand, but watch the race on those Kangaroo TV.

Why even spend the money to be there in person? 🙄
I found the V10s of the mid 90s to be loud enough with the exhaust basically shielded by blowing out between the gearbox and the rear wheels. The V8s blowing across the top of the floor were just too loud for me as the sound was direct from the pipe to the ear. I have hearing problems anyway and I found the unfiltered sound just physically uncomfortable after a short period. I remember plenty of people wearing some hearing protection of one kind or another - even just a bit of cotton wool in the ears - whilst all the children I saw had ear defenders on (quite right too).

The sound is great but there's no need to risk hearing damage for it. Much like people who go shooting (clay pigeons or game birds) and don't have ear protection. Eventually it catches up with you.

Having been in the garage when one of the Cosworth V10s fired up, I can tell you they're damaging-loud from 6 ft away! 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Moore77 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 07:43

I would listen to the team radio all race long, instead of BS from Crofty, Brundle and DiResta. But may be it would be utterly boring for an average fan watching TV and they need someone to talk basic stuff so that they can follow the race.
I agree. It would give you a totally different insight into a race, to be able to pick any driver and listen to all the talk between them and their engineers. Maybe it would be a bit dull at times, seen as F1 only picks the 'spicy' messages to broadcast. Difficult to implement, if you wanted every driver available, but I think it would be a great addition.

Might even be interesting to have race control available or a few other things too.

Moore77

El Scorchio wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 10:23
Moore77 wrote:

I agree. It would give you a totally different insight into a race, to be able to pick any driver and listen to all the talk between them and their engineers. Maybe it would be a bit dull at times, seen as F1 only picks the 'spicy' messages to broadcast. Difficult to implement, if you wanted every driver available, but I think it would be a great addition.

Might even be interesting to have race control available or a few other things too.
If you have the F1TV subscription, you can go onboard for any driver you choose and you would only listen to the radio between that driver and his engineer. When the car is in pit, their no feed, but as soon as the car is leaving the garage, the feed comes back. The problem is, those onboard views are like 720p and not exactly 1080p. If you are watching onboard of the leader in race, it seems weird and feels like there is no one on track. Sometimes it's good, especially if there is a dogfight. Otherwise, the onboard is boring and normal TV feed is interesting.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

El Scorchio

Moore77 wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 11:05
El Scorchio wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 10:23
Moore77 wrote:

If you have the F1TV subscription, you can go onboard for any driver you choose and you would only listen to the radio between that driver and his engineer. When the car is in pit, their no feed, but as soon as the car is leaving the garage, the feed comes back. The problem is, those onboard views are like 720p and not exactly 1080p. If you are watching onboard of the leader in race, it seems weird and feels like there is no one on track. Sometimes it's good, especially if there is a dogfight. Otherwise, the onboard is boring and normal TV feed is interesting.
That's tricky. I guess if I were doing it I'd have to do a home made solution like watch on normal TV but try and sync a stream with radio with the TV broadcast, like I do with the cricket sometimes so I can hear TMS while watching Sky.

Schuttelberg

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... er-at-spa/

Ominous!

I can bet though that we will here the same old 'it's going to be close' crap from the usual suspects. My respect for Max is increasing with every passing session. How he's second in the WDC is beyond me and it shows the walk that it is for LH.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

mem

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 14:10

Ominous!

I can bet though that we will here the same old 'it's going to be close' crap from the usual suspects. My respect for Max is increasing with every passing session. How he's second in the WDC is beyond me and it shows the walk that it is for LH.
nothing Ominous! they are lying throw their teeth , you realy don't expect them to say oh yeah we were cheating
“Only when Verstappen caught up to one and a half seconds on Valtteri on the 25th lap did we tell our guys [Hamilton and Bottas] that they could forget about tyre management for a few laps and get a little bit of a head start,” Mercedes chief race engineer Andrew Shovlin is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.
actually Max from lap 15 to lap 25 never was more than 1.5s to Bottas unfortunately Max tyres start to gone after that and if they could go faster Max could go faster but all of the 3 front drived would have to pit another time for tyres change.
pls check page 145 in RBR team thread to check out some facts.
are Mercedes the strongest ? dead sure , are there really horror pace with them ? definitely not.

mkay
mkay

Schuttelberg wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 14:10

Ominous!

He has the clear second best car, meaning 3rd was pretty much the floor given who his teammate is. As for getting 2nd, he's been driving super well, but BOT has been poor at times (starts in Hungary and Spain hurt him vs. VER) which ultimately has made the difference between both drivers.

PlatinumZealot

The RB16 is a strong car. It arguably is stronger than Mercedes in some conditions. Once Max learns to extract 100% from it he will there.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN