Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bluechris

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

FW17 wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 08:47
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 20:57

Daniel Ricciardo is set to replace Nyck de Vries after the summer break, as per F1-Insider sources

The rest of the season would be about comparing Tsunoda and Ricciardo.
Not sure how true that is. Does anyone know if DR has any racing clauses tied to his contract after he left Mclaren? If true, it could be a plan to get DR in the Perez seat in/after 2024.

I feel sad that Alex Palou is not getting that seat after the Indycar season
Oh i agree fully on this, he seems really great driver and talend imo and needs an F1 opportunity for sure in a big team.

Willy
Willy

JordanMugen

djos wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 13:00
Willy wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 12:56
A driver is not top level if he can't handle a bad car, especially when his team mate has.
You can claim that till the cows come home, doesnt make it true.
It is true though. Since when have top level drivers like Prost or Senna or pre-comeback Schumacher or Hamilton or Alonso or Verstappen struggled against their teammates because they didn't like the car characteristics?! At worst, they were only slightly behind even when they didn't like the car characteristics.

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:26
Oh, and how did Kimi Raikkonen do in his NASCAR races? He must not be very good either!
NASCAR is irrelevant to Formula One, however Raikkonen's evenness with Massa and deficit to Alonso and Vettel suggests Raikkonen was never truly top level in Formula One (at least not beyond the McLaren).

When was an actual top level driver like Alonso ever beaten by a teammate in the way Raikkonen was? Alonso never had such a big deficit in pace to any teammate, as Raikkonen had to Alonso.

djos wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 06:25
ringo wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 06:11
I do not think he is a bad driver, he just had 2 bad years.
Considering Daniel got every single one of his F1 GP wins in non-dominant cars, I'd suggest anyone who thinks he is has rocks in their heads.
The complaint isn't that Daniel is incapable get in and drive a car well at times, the complaint is that Ricciardo lacks engineering & technical understanding compared to the bookish sim-racing technically-minded drivers like Verstappen, Russell, Norris and Piastri.

Ricciardo called Verstappen a "nerd" for obsessing about such things, but the proof is that Norris and Piastri (almost immedately) are able to drive the McLaren as the engineers instruct them so as to maximise its strengths and minimise its weakness (and therefore literally find more grip) yet Ricciardo was not able to do so, despite repeated tuition on how to drive the McLaren correctly.

Instead Ricciardo said things like: "confused, the lap felt good, I felt like I was on the limit, I don't know why the lap time wasn't there". I.e., just driving it like a Red Bull or Renault and hoping for the best. Indeed Ricciardo was on the limit of grip, it's just that Norris literally had more grip because he was driving the car in a such a way that it produces more grip (e.g., with the right aero attitude, more braking and traction in a straight-line where the McLaren doesn't lose downforce unlike in yaw).

By contrast, within a handful of test sessions and race meetings, Piastri had an average qualifying deficit of less than a tenth to Norris. For Piastri it was almost trivial to adopt the correct driving style, something that Ricciardo was unable to do so over two whole seasons.

Piastri was also praised for excellent simulator work at Alpine, even though the Alpine had different handling characteristics than the McLaren.

Would other top level drivers like Senna or Alonso really say "Confused, I don't know why I am slow" as Ricciardo did while being 1s/lap slower than their teammate for nearly the Monaco Grand Prix weekend? It seems doubtful...

McLaren were unhappy with Ricciardo's performance and inability to drive the car as McLaren instructed time and time again to little effect. The car that recently finished P2 & P4 at Silverstone still has the same 'problems', but it shows McLaren did not need to waste time and money "fixing" that in the pursuit of adding performance (albeit low speed is still a struggle for McLaren, the opposite to their high speed -- low yaw angle? -- strengths.)

djos wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 00:26
Having a driving style that suits a particular car's handling traits, can not be underestimated!
Top level drivers are usually able to adjust their driving style to suit the car's handling traits. :)

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Of course he'd say that. Helmut Marko is ultimately the one who has the biggest say on
the driver line up. If they are going to replace Perez, I guess the decision will be taken over
the summer break. They'll want to assess Riccardo fairly quickly to see if he's the right choice
or if they are going to have to get the chequebook out. That assumes they've decided Perez isn't going
to cut the mustard if/when Red Bull are competing with another team for the constructors title.

A silly season prediction that will never happen - Lando to Red Bull, Lewis to McLaren and Leclerc to Mercedes.

Willy
Willy

taperoo2k wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 14:36
Of course he'd say that. Helmut Marko is ultimately the one who has the biggest say on
the driver line up. If they are going to replace Perez, I guess the decision will be taken over
the summer break. They'll want to assess Riccardo fairly quickly to see if he's the right choice
or if they are going to have to get the chequebook out. That assumes they've decided Perez isn't going
to cut the mustard if/when Red Bull are competing with another team for the constructors title.

A silly season prediction that will never happen - Lando to Red Bull, Lewis to McLaren and Leclerc to Mercedes.
Never mind. Daniel is replacing Nyck. So that's probably the background to Horner's statement.

Big Tea

organic wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 06:46
Big Tea wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 23:16
so if Tsunoda outperforms Dan (not likely but not impossible) does that mean he gets the Red Bull seat?
I dont think tsunoda is an option for the main team yet. He's maturing but I think that he isn't ready. Marko doesn't even mention tsunoda in conversations about who could replace Perez now or for 2024.

Couple more years and he'd be ready, but a team like Audi may come knocking before then
I don't think he is one of the very best either, but he is very popular in some circles and very likable in the same mould as Danny. Either would be a good addition as a PR 'stunt' as they are there to sell drinks after all, as long as Max is getting the titles anyway.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Big Tea wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 16:38
organic wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 06:46
Big Tea wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 23:16
so if Tsunoda outperforms Dan (not likely but not impossible) does that mean he gets the Red Bull seat?
I dont think tsunoda is an option for the main team yet. He's maturing but I think that he isn't ready. Marko doesn't even mention tsunoda in conversations about who could replace Perez now or for 2024.

Couple more years and he'd be ready, but a team like Audi may come knocking before then
I don't think he is one of the very best either, but he is very popular in some circles and very likable in the same mould as Danny. Either would be a good addition as a PR 'stunt' as they are there to sell drinks after all, as long as Max is getting the titles anyway.
RB are likely keeping Tsunoda because he's not half bad for AT, and also to make sure Honda gives their best effort to this conclusion of the RB-Honda partnership.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

I think people are about to see how not so great tsunoda is.
Half season shoot out between him and DR to replace Perez.
Can see DR getting it because RB never wanted him to leave to begin with.

JordanMugen

Mchamilton wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 17:52
I don't think Tsunoda is any worse than Sato. Tsunoda might have a long career in Indycar if Formula One doesn't work out. :)

chrisc90

Chris Medland
@ChrisMedlandF1
If it means anything, Pirelli testing harder compound tyres that don’t need blankets this week, and today Ricciardo’s best time was a 1:27.415 in the Red Bull. 0.7s off Verstappen’s pole time (on different tyres and in different conditions of course) #F1
That’s not bad going!!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JordanMugen wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 20:09
Mchamilton wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 17:52
I don't think Tsunoda is any worse than Sato. Tsunoda might have a long career in Indycar if Formula One doesn't work out. :)
I agree. He would slot right in with Honda support.

djos

It’s confirmed, Daniel is back in F1 for AT!

"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Willy wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 03:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 01:11
NdV finding out that being a young F1 driver in the Red Bull stable is very tough gig. Don't get much time to prove yourself.
He was very lucky he got such an opportunity, despite Horner was not convinced of him in the first place. But it is good for him anyways as he was never going to find out at Mercedes if he was good enough.
I see what you did there. Very droll.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

I see Sergio Perez driving Williams in 2024.

Ricciardo hopefully does a good job over the next 12 races (even in a disjointed Alphatauri) and moves to Red Bull for 2024

Red Bull
 Max Verstappen
 Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari
 Charles Leclerc
 Carlos Sainz Jr.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team
Lewis Hamilton
 George Russell

Aston Martin
 Fernando Alonso
 Lance Stroll

McLaren-Mercedes
 Lando Norris
 Oscar Piastri

Alpine-Renault
 Pierre Gasly
 Esteban Ocon

Williams-Mercedes
 Sergio Pérez
 Alexander Albon

Haas-Ferrari
 Kevin Magnussen
 Nico Hülkenberg

Sauber-Ferrari
 Zhou Guanyu / Mick Schumacher
 Valtteri Bottas

Alfa Romeo-Honda RBPT
Liam Lawson / Alex Palou
Yuki Tsunoda

Big Tea

FW17 wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 06:59
I see Sergio Perez driving Williams in 2024.

Ricciardo hopefully does a good job over the next 12 races (even in a disjointed Alphatauri) and moves to Red Bull for 2024

Red Bull
 Max Verstappen
 Daniel Ricciardo

Ferrari
 Charles Leclerc
 Carlos Sainz Jr.

Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team
Lewis Hamilton
 George Russell

Aston Martin
 Fernando Alonso
 Lance Stroll

McLaren-Mercedes
 Lando Norris
 Oscar Piastri

Alpine-Renault
 Pierre Gasly
 Esteban Ocon

Williams-Mercedes
 Sergio Pérez
 Alexander Albon

Haas-Ferrari
 Kevin Magnussen
 Nico Hülkenberg

Sauber-Ferrari
 Zhou Guanyu / Mick Schumacher
 Valtteri Bottas

Alfa Romeo-Honda RBPT
Liam Lawson / Alex Palou
Yuki Tsunoda
I can not see Williams taking on Perez, even if they could afford him. He is not a 'fit' for the team, they tend to go for 'chargers' if not looking for cash.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.