BMW Vertical Fins Banned

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
sennafan
sennafan

surely it is hard to make objective judgement on their affectiveness without any CFD data?

Scuderia_Russ

Ted68 wrote:If Ferrari had first shown up with them and they were allowed in one race, then they would be legal.
F.F.S. :roll: Of course they would Ted, of course they would.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

sennafan wrote:surely it is hard to make objective judgement on their affectiveness without any CFD data?
then again they may not have even considered it since there was precedence of Arrows and Jordan running something in that vein and got banned from using them immediately, so they assumed its not worth trying even if potentially there might be advantage.....

furnik28
furnik28

why dont they just keep away from baning aero devices and let other teams trying to develop there cars to keep up with renes and ferrraris thats what its looking like. The racing at the moment is geting quite boring
renault wins this ferraris win that weres the rest of the feild 1m.30s behind
boring.
rok

mini696

"If Ferrari had first shown up with them and they were allowed in one race, then they would be legal"
Oh... my... god... :roll:

"Not only is the suspension lower, alongside the car and not in front of it and connected at both ends... it is also contains a tether to prevent a wheel and thus suspension striking the driver."
Lucky the teather worked in Kimi's case last year, otherwise he may have copped it in his face. The teathers can be just as dangerous by retaining the wheel and causing it to bounce on the "hood" of the cars.

"Political reasons?!"
Yes... 90% of the comments on public forums have been "God they are ugly" (I dont agree BTW).

manchild
manchild

I don't see problem in banning as much as I see problem in not banning it on time if it was considered unsafe from day 1. FIA allowed it to be used during whole GP weekend on 3 cars, at least 600 km which means that FIA was again too slow. Personaly I like any new device altough this one seamed to be a bit view blocking and potentialy dangerous for driver's head.

Sodder
Sodder

Why not jusdt ban flip ups, chimneys, and midwings all together while you are at it. I'm sure those cars would be much more visually appealing to Bernie and Max. We all know thats why there gone.

Either way I dont like the decision.

Why did they allow them to run them in France? Must not have cared to much about the drivers "saftey" that weekend.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

manchild wrote:I don't see problem in banning as much as I see problem in not banning it on time if it was considered unsafe from day 1. FIA allowed it to be used during whole GP weekend on 3 cars, at least 600 km which means that FIA was again too slow. Personaly I like any new device altough this one seamed to be a bit view blocking and potentialy dangerous for driver's head.
I too think that was kinda odd, consider this pretty much falls into the same category as the similar contraption made by Jordan and Arrows for 01 Monaco, and they pretty much banned those on the spot after 1 practice session....

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

sennafan wrote:surely it is hard to make objective judgement on their affectiveness without any CFD data?
To be honest, it would have to be a damn big computer with a helluva mesh to get a decent result in CFD. I'd seriously doubt any of us on here would have the time or CPU power to get anywhere close.

I'd reckon that is something that was done more in the windtunnel. CFD I think would be done more on wing sections, endplates, radiator exit ducts, diffusers, airboxes etc.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

That is the biggest amount of bollox I have ever heard (ok maybe not)... still they drivers said they hardly noticed them after they got used to them. And those things are less of a danger to the driver compared to something like the wing mirrors..... they are closer to the driver, much heavier and break off alot more often...

manchild
manchild

Diesel wrote:That is the biggest amount of bollox I have ever heard (ok maybe not)... still they drivers said they hardly noticed them after they got used to them. And those things are less of a danger to the driver compared to something like the wing mirrors..... they are closer to the driver, much heavier and break off alot more often...
That is the biggest amount of bollox I have ever heard (ok maybe not).

Tom

All bolox. The fins can be made safe as any other item, the fia just didn't like them, we'll never know exactly why, I'm sure Max isn't that bothered about asthetics, but there gone so stop speculating.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

zac510
zac510

You have to admit that 'nothing blocking the driver's field of vision' is a pretty fair and basic rule for everybody, aesthetics or not.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

That is the biggest amount of bollox I have ever heard (ok maybe not).
So you actually think they were a safety risk? surely not....

Saribro
Saribro

I can only say that I wouldn't feel comfortable with 2 giant meatcleavers just in front of my head. Of course, one might be less sensitive to such things if you're used to having your ass nearly scraping the tarmac at 250+kph heading for a wall only braking 150 meters before a blind corner and all.

I did however find it interesting that it apparently seemed sensible to start making such big cuts in the airflow that early on the car. Granted, intuition tends to start failing on implementations this close to the edge, it still looks kinda weird... and horrible to look at.