Anti-lag systems

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: Anti-lag systems

luke352 wrote:
18 Feb 2022, 06:17
https://x-engineer.org/twin-scroll-turbo/

Otherwise the engineering explained guy does a video on it as do several other people.

But you can get two types. Both types still utilize both airflow and pulses. Ones with simply a divided scroll/volutes of same size but you still get energy impacting on different parts of the blade simply due to the angle the airflow/pulses impact the turbine.
The other style you also have volutes of different size as well, so one is smaller in order to maintain a higher velocity and is for low end response and the a larger volute for the top end.
You can also do stuff with valves and utilising a twin scroll and direct all flow into one volute and then as boost pressure/turbine speed increases the valve slowly opens up flow to the second volute,
I cant see a quick spool valve being used in F1, however I still havent seen anything to support single scroll having a higher power capacity

Its worth remebering that the housing volume will be smaller for the same external volume so for a like for like the internal volume should be the same really.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Agree.
A properly engineered twin scroll setup will always make more power, better fuel efficiency and lower backpressure than the equivalent single scroll. Big diesels running at constant speed or variable have used twin scroll turbochargers since forever.
je suis charlie

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

I know of a great anti-lag system; it's called throw the f-ing turbo in the garbage can and go back to a proper racing engine.

:o